Skip to content

McCarthy on the move?

Comments

• Just came to post the same link.

• Good from our point of view (hopefully) to see that Harris' stance hasn't changed. Would Fred for McCarthy as a straight swap be such a bad deal? Straight swaps are rare these days, but I think we'd do well to get a fee when you consider Fred is probably valued the highest of the two.

• Fred's wage demands could be a sticking point.

• Anyone interested in understanding the Millwall culture should read Michael Calvin’s excellent book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267

Jason McCarthy would go down a treat with their fan base IMHO and to be honest I can see why their fans in particularly might not be taken to a player like Fred. (Hopefully) Fortunately enough, this could lead to us getting a fantastic player in return for McCarthy, I really doubt Jack Grimmer would have signed for a club where one of the first names on the team sheet is in his position. Looks like the transfer it’s far more likely to happen then not.

• "I’ve got a very good relationship with him"

Doesn't sound like it Neil

• I'm probably being naive, but I'd argue we're in a stronger bargaining position than Milwall when it comes to negotiations.

Millwall have publicly shown their hand with Onyedinma; left out of the squad, the manager basically saying his Millwall career is over and if I recall not even given a squad number. I also believe he only has one year left on his contract. McCarthy's stock is much higher, he's wanted by (and seemingly happy at) Wycombe and still has two years under contract.

On this basis I'd suggest a straight swap would be a rather poor deal for us. I don't claim to understand player valuations, but McCarthy is surely worth around £500k. Can Millwall seriously attach the same value to a player they don't want and who will be a free agent in a year's time? Has to be Fred and cash in my book.

Obviously I hope we can hold on to McCarthy and then just sign Fred anyway, perhaps on loan until we can snap him up on a free.

• edited July 2019

@StrongestTeam said:
    That could be why they gave him the pen , and one of the reasons he might not take the next one.

Take a pen as a farewell gift!?

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Anyone interested in understanding the Millwall culture should read Michael Calvin’s excellent book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Death-Football-Frontline-Proper/dp/1906850267

Jason McCarthy would go down a treat with their fan base IMHO and to be honest I can see why their fans in particularly might not be taken to a player like Fred. (Hopefully) Fortunately enough, this could lead to us getting a fantastic player in return for McCarthy, I really doubt Jack Grimmer would have signed for a club where one of the first names on the team sheet is in his position. Looks like the transfer it’s far more likely to happen then not.

Agreed. I can't pretend I'd heard of Grimmer - but being a key player in Cov's league 2 promotion certainly makes it sound like he's coming in to start.
    Although he can play other positions apparently. As can McCarthy of course.

Unless Couhig has really chucked some money at it all, and we can luxuriate with a fatter squad.

• @Jonny_King said:
    I'm probably being naive, but I'd argue we're in a stronger bargaining position than Milwall when it comes to negotiations.

Millwall have publicly shown their hand with Onyedinma; left out of the squad, the manager basically saying his Millwall career is over and if I recall not even given a squad number. I also believe he only has one year left on his contract. McCarthy's stock is much higher, he's wanted by (and seemingly happy at) Wycombe and still has two years under contract.

On this basis I'd suggest a straight swap would be a rather poor deal for us. I don't claim to understand player valuations, but McCarthy is surely worth around £500k. Can Millwall seriously attach the same value to a player they don't want and who will be a free agent in a year's time? Has to be Fred and cash in my book.

Obviously I hope we can hold on to McCarthy and then just sign Fred anyway, perhaps on loan until we can snap him up on a free.

We had a distinct period where we were routinely rinsed in transfers. That did end though, and if we couldn't get a good fee, we generally put a good sell on in there - which has served us magnificently over the recent years.

It has to be a decent fee for McCarthy. If we can also get Fred out of it, with Grimmer stepping up, it could be superb.

• Fee and Fred AND sell-on...? Great times.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Fee and Fred AND sell-on...? Great times.

Roll on 100k fee, no Fred, and 5% sell on (if he goes for more than 100k)

Then we find out we only got McCarthy as he has a 75% sell on fee due to his last club.

• @Malone and we have to give Barnsley all our new signings because no-one in the Power Group read the small-print.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    That could be why they gave him the pen , and one of the reasons he might not take the next one.

Take a pen as a farewell gift!?

As long as it’s a Parker. And I don’t mean Josh. Wonder what happened to him.

• Or a Cross......?

• Neil Harris: “I do expect somebody in Monday and someone to go out as well.” https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/51110-2/

Could it be?

• I hope it’s not just a straight swap. For once we’re in a stronger negotiating position. I’ll be sad to see Jason go but if he feels like it’s a career progression we can’t stand in his way.

• But knowing our luck McCarthy will move for an undisclosed fee, most of which will go to Barnsley, and Fred will sign for Oxford.

• If it happens, we'll have lost McCarthy and gained Grimmer and Onyedinma. We'll have come out stronger - and hopefully financially stronger as well, although I don't think we should turn down the offer of a straight swap, especially when we can't really stand in McCarthy's way.

• Not sure we need Fred as we have Smyth and Kashket. Take the money and invest in another centre forward who can score goals. Not sure Samuels and CMS can cut it in League 1.

• edited July 2019

Fred would be a huge addition. We've got to bear in mind that we might not keep Smyth beyond the new year - unless QPR are stupid, they'll have put a recall clause in the loan agreement. Samuel obviously not a good enough finisher, CMS has had his best days, and I'm not sure how much we'll get out of Bayo - although he looked in very good shape on Friday. Kashket and Smyth can both play centrally as well (I think Kashket definitely should), so we have options.

• Exactly so @th100 The squad looks great apart from a 10-15 goal a year forward. If Fred can get there with others chipping in half a dozen or so each we’ll be fine.

And I have a feeling Bayo will continue to confound his doubters.

• I find it amazing that fans are writing off a player as good as CMS. He's genuinely one of the best players we've ever had

The same people seem to have decided that Alex Samuel is as good as he ever will be. He showed great promise last season and I'm sure with a full pre-season under his belt he'll be even better this season

• I am not sure 11 goals in 60 odd games and being farmed out to Notts County on loan last session qualifies for one of the best we have ever had. But I hope to be proved wrong that he is not passed his best.

• Well said Eric. Couldn't agree more.

• CMS is a far better player than Alex Samuel and if samuel has a 1/4 of craigs career Im sure he would be a very happy man !!

• I have massive respect for CMS, but I also think Alex Samuel has the work ethic to really improve year over year. As always, we are going to need every squad member to contribute - look at last season, when CMS went out on loan, but only after scoring that vital winner against Donny.

• As mentioned by @mooneyman the wages will prove difficult, unless Couhig is bankrolling seriously. Hopefully a big chunk of money for McCarthy can cover the outlay of 4/5k a week.

• Much as I admire Fred (and I have said repeatedly on here how much I hope to see him return) I would be strongly against paying him anything like £4K a week!