Skip to content

Bury

Comments

• Horrible business, Dale and the previous muppet won't have inspired anyone to come on board. Hope someone can come forward with enough of a proposal to inspire the league to extend the deadline but it doesn't sound great, heartbreaking for the guys out in numbers cleaning up the place today. They may have enjoyed a better class of football for a year or two but they weren't the ones who overspent. Could be any club.

• This is awful. Football is broken, and I fear this may herald a new era of clubs struggling to survive.

• @Shev said:
    This is awful. Football is broken, and I fear this may herald a new era of clubs struggling to survive.

Yeah, bit too much gloating about and opining about financial control, this is about stopping people using clubs and then dropping them without any responsibility.

A new age of financial responsibility would be lovely but more closures, franchising, B teams, super leagues and the like are probably to be expected.

• Statement from Bury
    https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-from-bury-fc/
    I read that that they have sadly given up too.

• @DevC said:
    Statement from Bury
    https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/august/statement-from-bury-fc/
    I read that that they have sadly given up too.

Or the owner is protecting whatever beans he can take out of there.

• If it is the end, hopefully they will be able to reform and get back to a reasonable level à la Aldershot.

• I actually think if I didn't support Wycombe I would really struggle to show any interest in football any more. Sky and the PL have really ruined the game.

Premier League sides splashing about millions on average players while old traditional clubs with loyal fanbases go bust around them without any intervention.

I really do destest modern football and if it was not for WWFC I think I would be too disillusioned to follow the domestic game moving forward. That is the stage things have now got to for me.

• Who would have thought in the 70 and 80's that Top flight clubs wouldn't pull out all the stops to win the FA Cup !!

• We have also had the utterly insufferable Jim White on Sky Sports News standing in front of a countdown clock to the possible demise and death of Bury and Bolton.

Almost as if it is some sort of soap opera drama akin to the equally detestable transfer deadline day. Just like VAR, no thought for the fans who follow and support their teams and all about whipping up a story for the armchair fan. Sickening.

• I am right there with you, @DJWYC14 - if Wycombe ever go under, I expect I would be pretty much done with the sport as a whole.

• There's still plenty of fun to be had in non-league, but otherwise I agree with you entirely.

• I also think it serves to highlight that I wouldn't enjoy following Wycombe as much if we ever did in theory reach the PL. I also wouldn't get to as many games due to logistics and cost anyway. The connection with the players we currently enjoy would also no doubt get lost.

Don't fancy much the ridiculous ticket prices, kick off times and days and everything it stands for. Also have no appetite for the endless VAR delays and circus around it and being treated as a "customer".

It would be very difficult for a club our size to compete in the Championship as it is now seen as a stepping stone to the promised land of the PL by most clubs. Nonetheless that would be the ceiling of what I would like us to be aiming for and I do think our current status competing in the upper echelons of L1 in competition with some great traditional clubs with fantastics fanbases is a great place to be right now.

Really enjoying being a Wycombe at the moment for various reasons but it's so grim if you take a look elsewhere.

I do take the point that in non-league there is still some enjoyment because it is at least 'real'.

• edited August 2019

There seems to be talk that 3 offers have gone in last minute, so maybe Bury can still be saved!!

• The efl have made it clear the wont postpone another game whatever happens so cant see it happening

• I also agree with all of that @DJWYC14, and to a small degree I still lament the late non-league days as the peak of fun watching Wycombe. For a large part of our league years that just wasn’t there - the players have often been a bunch of mercenaries with little to no personal feelings about the club, who would be just as happy getting paid by any other club as long as they picked up their pay packet. And while that’s normal for the vast majority of the population and their chosen occupation, it doesn’t do anything to forge that bond between players and fans.

The last few years though, Gaz has put together a squad that seem to love playing for him and for us. It’s a beautiful thing and long may it continue.

• edited August 2019

This is just so far past the point of being a farce now.

• Just announced on BBC, Bury expelled from EFL. Very, very, sad.

• The EFL had no option

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896

Sad day.

Premier league has ruined English football.

• It is surreal - I feel we have all known about the problems our lower league clubs are facing for so many years, and yet for clubs to finally start shutting down...it is awful.

• Down the road Man Uts just spent 85mil on a centre half. It's just a sorry mess football now isn't it?

• Also, with the whole Phoenix club thing - the way the game is, the best case scenario is rising up back into the EFL again....only to struggle to make ends meet all over again.

Root and branch reform of the game needed.

• and stewart day gave a league 2 player in jermaine beckford a contract for 5,000 per week, was that the premier leagues fault ???

@DJWYC14 said:

Down the road Man Uts just spent 85mil on a centre half. It's just a sorry mess football now isn't it?

• No, but the current funding structure of English football, where the clubs in the top league get the overwhelming majority of funding whilst everyone else scraps for the tiny amount that’s left started with the Premier League forming.

• Rubbish clubs need to stop chasing the dream and overspending, we cut our cloth pretty close to the bone and are doing ok yes we needed some help but thats mostly due to mismanagement from the trust !!

• edited August 2019

But if a club owned by a chairman like Day had that extra £millions they would only squander it in exactly the same way no mater what the amount was.

• It sums it up that Bury take second billing on the main BBC football page...to Sanchez going on loan to Inter Milan. If you don't laugh you'll cry....

• @Shev said:
    It sums it up that Bury take second billing on the main BBC football page...to Sanchez going on loan to Inter Milan. If you don't laugh you'll cry....

yep players like him could easily help clubs like bury with there massive wages .

• @Shev said:
    It sums it up that Bury take second billing on the main BBC football page...to Sanchez going on loan to Inter Milan. If you don't laugh you'll cry....

Slightly off topic, but it hasn’t been where i’m Looking. It’s the headline news on the bbc news pages and the Sanchez loan is third after Bury in top spot followed by Bolton’s 14 day extension.

What is sobering is Bury no longer on the league table. Like they’ve been erased from history already.