Skip to content

Player of the season?

124»

Comments

• edited May 2019

Forgive me. I took your post to be inviting comments on which three we would most wish to keep!

I confess I have in mind a slightly more pessimistic prognosis for the potential alternatives than you.

• edited May 2019

@perfidious_albion said:
    So Thomo wins it, as announced pre match.
    And Gaz reveals he has been playing with a dislocated shoulder requiring surgery.
    Sido , seemingly a popular runner up, ends the season on crutches with a broken foot.
    These two show true dedication to the cause.

Just to confirm that those were the OWWSA and WWISC awards. The official ones are announced at the end of season dinner.

Agree on the effort both have put in this season.

• I don’t do prognoses @HCblue (unless you include score forecasts and gate predictions). I inferred from your post that by “vacuum” you meant the absence of information about the likely course of events over the next few months.
    I have my own ideas of course about who justifies retention and have arrived at the following:

Allsop
    Yates
    McCarthy
    Harriman
    El Abd
    Stewart
    Jacobson
    Gape (we should be so lucky!)
    Thompson
    Bloomfield
    Cowan Hall ?
    Freeman
    Kashket
    Samuel
    Bayo (if right knee not beyond repair)

Rather more than I expected to come up with but still requiring the addition of half a dozen loans/free transfers/unattacheds.

• I’ll be crucified - add Coelho Jombati please!

• @perfidious_albion said:
    So Thomo wins it, as announced pre match.
    And Gaz reveals he has been playing with a dislocated shoulder requiring surgery.
    Sido , seemingly a popular runner up, ends the season on crutches with a broken foot.
    These two show true dedication to the cause.

A dislocated shoulder? How on earth do you even play through that? No wonder he didn't quite match his earlier season form for a while!

• Quite incredible. My wife partially dislocated her right shoulder about eight years ago and didn’t fancy what can be a risky operation (plus a second general anaesthetic following a hip replacement) so she suffers in relative silence and claims the injury prevents her from giving me a cuddle!

As you say, how can anyone play through that, especially in the combative (and very skilful) way that Curtis plays. The man is a true hero.

• He must take on some serious injections before games! Which cannot be healthy long term, but I dare say a lot of people thought Ainsworth was "blagging" when he said about players playing through all sorts.

• Bit gutted that Sido came away with nothing.

• edited May 2019

@drcongo said:
    Bit gutted that Sido came away with nothing.

@drcongo, he will always have our undying admiration. When he finally leaves us, some years hence I hope, I might even get him a special trophy for all the enjoyment he has given us.

• I was pleased to see the high regard in which Curtis Thompson is held by his teammates. I have to say, I thought he was the stand out choice.

McCarthy was also great though. Lucky to have both of them

• Did enjoy the third choice keeper whose name i can't even place, voting Allsop player of the season!
    Talk about goalkeepers' union!!

• @drcongo said:
    Bit gutted that Sido came away with nothing.

Sido’s Sunderland Step Over was undoubtedly my highlight of the season, should have won awards for that alone.

• @Malone: that’ll be Cameron Yates - the “Irish” lad (as someone not great at accents described him!). He is in fact a proud Scotsman.

• @micra said:
    @Malone: that’ll be Cameron Yates - the “Irish” lad (as someone not great at accents described him!). He is in fact a proud Scotsman.

No, think there was another guy pictured in the back of a training photo earlier in the week that some on Facebook decided was a young Irish player on trial.

• Aaron Dillon the new Henry Newcombe

• @Croider said:
    Aaron Dillon the new Henry Newcombe

Hope he doesn't end up blowing in the wind!

• Bob Dylan? Somewhat tenuous.

• Aaron Dillon is indeed Irish. Young ‘keeper currently without a club (according to Transfermarket website).