Skip to content

Player of the season?

Comments

• Is there still a 'players' player' award? Samuel would be a good shout for that i reckon.

• @Wendoverman , not sure why you mention Paris on this thread especially, but as you did, I agree 100% there. I could just about see reason to leave him out when Williams, Fred and CMS were doing great shifts, but he's barely got a look in since.

Freeman and an out of position Kashket keeping him out has to be the final straw in him staying i'd have thought.

• @TheatreOfChairs I'd love to see Sido win it.

For me, him and JJ were huge signings that summer after us almost going down, that lifted the place in terms of quality and "Good guy" status.

Both have put in 5 seasons of great work, and it's to Sido's massive credit that he's now doing it in a different position, having seen right back become cut off. He now looks the safer of the two, as doubts about JJ's enduring ability have crept in

• @Malone just a passing thought. I think PCH has done well when he has played this season, particularly combining with McCarthy on the right...but seems to get dropped with alarming regularity. As you say...Fred was always going to get in ahead, but once he had gone I thought Paris was a better bet especially as he has goal potential, arguably more than Freeman, who did play well yesterday, but has never really set the world alight for me. Poor old Scotty Kashket seemed to be playing right-back for some of yesterday as he was so far from the action so I cannot see the point of playing him as some sort of winger...but as I always say, I'm not any sort of manager so we trust in Gaz!

• I am a little torn, as Freeman has waited ages for his chance, is very tidy, something very different, as he's very much a silky ball player, albeit not necessarily with flair like say a McGavin.
    And Kashket is that guilty pleasure isn't he, that player who is always a bit of a favourite as you know what he has done before, and could do again.

But as a right winger, Paris surely gets in ahead of both. I dare say he's off at the end of the season unless we really are at rock bottom budget and contacts wise.

Harriman will be the interesting one. Basically completely out of the picture for most of the season, but come in strong the last 5-6 games. He's given himself half a chance

• For me McCarthy, followed by Thomson and Sido. I cannot remember McCarthy having a bad game this season (although I am sure there were some!) but he is very consistent and a real threat going forward. Very quick as well and that has got us out of trouble a number of times. I think equally you can put up a good case for the other two as well. Thomson this season compared to last season has been amazing and very good on the ball and Sido always seems to wrap his leg around a strikers body to somehow clear the ball and out of danger. Would be happy to see anyone of these get it.

• 3/1 Jombati
    10/3 McCarthy
    7/2 Thompson
    13/2 Gape
    8 Samuel
    10 Akinfenwa
    12 Kashket
    16 Cowan-Hall
    20 Jacobson
    33 El-Abd
    40 Bloomfield
    50 Freeman

Each-way 1/5, 1-2-3. Others on request, all in run or not

• I was almost certain that Thompson would be my player of the season, I love the rags to riches story of a man signed as a make-weight who we all groaned about when we saw on the teamsheet, transforming himself - blossoming, if you will - into our most consistent and dependable midfielder, a man able to run, tackle, pass and show the Wycombised commitment we all so crave week in, week out.

However I'm with @TheatreOfChairs and @Malone - in the final analysis Sido's consistency, flair, adaptability and sheer indefatigability shades it for me. Not just for this season but for his body of work over the past five years.

• Not sure if Thompson's performances lately have quite matched the standards he set around Nov/Dec when he was consistently head and shoulders above the rest. Equally that may be down to having higher expectations now than at the beginning of the season before we knew what he was capable of. I'd downgrade him from 'outstanding' to merely 'very good'.

I'd vote McCarthy for what he offers both defensively and as a counter attacking threat.

• Curtis all the way for me (much as I love Sido and Macca)

• Is it head or heart you vote with?
    I love watching Thomo for his work rate,
    Beano ( not Beanie that is a hat) for his unsung breakup and frustration of opposition,
    Sido for his sidoness,
    Scotty K because the genius might just explode into life at any moment,
    really hope Nick F can push on, get your head up and look for the pass Nick.
    I feel for Tools injury blunting real talent,
    special shout out to Harriman patience reward looks like it is over forJJ.
    I just don’t get Samuel.
    For me Jason Mac needs better defensive positioning and concentration!
    Gape sorry to say is a journeyman !!
    None of the old boys club have shone at this level.
    Subjective but I give my vote to Thomo.

• I’d go with Sido but Thompson and McCarthy a close second and third. I think everyone should be proud of themselves though. Can’t think of any passengers. A number have come through some rough patches (Allsop, El-Abd, JJ(?)) and back in to form and the effort from everyone has been immense.

Even through that long long barren spell I can’t recall any heads dropping. The squad togetherness has been excellent. (Can I nominate ‘team spirit’?)

• @fame_46 I agree with you and @TheatreOfChairs, SIDO has been great all season. You didn't mention that Sido is always available to the GK for a quick throw and a dash down the wing. Unfortunately this does not fit in with the boot it down the middle, which is usually delayed long enough for our forwards to be man marked.

• @perfidious_albion , very different in places to other's views!

Gape, a journeyman? On what planet! When he signs for either a top league 1 club, or low to mid championship club, like Scowen you'll see his quality. Him staying this summer would be a huge shock.

Bean can't have had more than a handful of appearances this whole season.

Harriman has given himself a chance, but certainly hasn't ended JJ's time here just yet.

Samuel worries me a bit. Top effort and all that, but he seems a bit Andy Baird, with less goal threat, and thankfully a bit less insane bravery, meaning fewer injuries.
    He does a lot more hold up work than Baird did, so he does get a lot of clatterings though, but less desperate lunges when he's rampaging away with it.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Is it head or heart you vote with?
    I love watching Thomo for his work rate,
    Beano ( not Beanie that is a hat) for his unsung breakup and frustration of opposition,
    Sido for his sidoness,
    Scotty K because the genius might just explode into life at any moment,
    really hope Nick F can push on, get your head up and look for the pass Nick.
    I feel for Tools injury blunting real talent,
    special shout out to Harriman patience reward looks like it is over forJJ.
    I just don’t get Samuel.
    For me Jason Mac needs better defensive positioning and concentration!
    Gape sorry to say is a journeyman !!
    None of the old boys club have shone at this level.
    Subjective but I give my vote to Thomo.

I love the adjective of "sidoness" but I'm absolutely baffled at your description of Gape, a 24 year old at his second club, as a journeyman?!

• How can you not love Dom Gape? Do not compute.

Hard decision for Player of the season, think I'm going to go for Sido. To go from being able to fill in at centre back if needed to his current state is brilliant and his range of passing helps a lot.

• I think it was Sido's performance against Sunderland that really swung it for me. He was imperious up against a £4million pound striker.

• A journeyman? I'm agape! Experience in this league will pay off next season for those still.in the quarters I feel.

• Appreciates Bean, but thinks Gape is a journeyman.
    Got to laugh.

• Seeing as a side still getting £30 million in parachutes has struggled to get out of of this league like Young Mr Grace I think they've all done very well.

• POTS has to be Sido Jombati. He's had what must be his best season as a pro, and has come a long way from the somewhat scrawny lad I saw play for Bath City in 2010 where he stood out as a player of real potential, if a bit raw. He's put in some hard yards to force his way into Gareth's reckoning at centre-back after McCarthy took his usual right-back slot. Hopefully Gareth can continue to put his faith in him and let us get the best from him at the peak of his career.

• For me this is a tough one to call this season as there have been 3 standouts. I would go with...
    1. McCarthy
    2, Thompson
    3. Sido

...although it really could be those 3 in any order.

• Can somone put up a poll for this please?

• Got to be Sido, looks so classy at this level at Centre back, if he was younger, im pretty sure clubs from higher leagues would be sniffing around him. A classic example of how a player can reach new levels of performance in his latter years,through hard work and desire.

• Did I dream that Sido had some personal issues back in Portugal in previous seasons? I wonder whether these have been resolved and this is helping his focus?

• @bookertease , yep, concerning very close family. He's come through excellently this side.

• @Malone said:
    Appreciates Bean, but thinks Gape is a journeyman.
    Got to laugh.

No I love Bean for his entertaining Beanoness:

• the ball constantly bouncing over his head when he first joined when we had that ‘concrete’ pitch
    • infact his all round heading!
    • those foul throws
    • the sending offs
    • his dreads (& the fight when Ellison pulled them)
    • & of course that goal
      Sorry but by comparison Dom is James Milner boring but without the talent- we really won’t miss him.
  • @perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:
    Appreciates Bean, but thinks Gape is a journeyman.
    Got to laugh.

No I love Bean for his entertaining Beanoness:

• the ball constantly bouncing over his head when he first joined when we had that ‘concrete’ pitch
    • infact his all round heading!
    • those foul throws
    • the sending offs
    • his dreads (& the fight when Ellison pulled them)
    • & of course that goal
      Sorry but by comparison Dom is James Milner boring but without the talent- we really won’t miss him.

Won't miss him?! I really hope we don't have to test that theory too soon. (although I fear we will) And a comparison with James Milner, who last year got the highest amount of assists in the Champions League... I'm sure Dom wouldn't mind that one bit. Incredible stuff this.

• the comparison was re boring not re stats

• When you say Dominic Gape you mean Dominic Gape who scored the goal that secured our promotion? That Dominic Gape? Perhaps quiet in a difficult season but at 24 I think he's worth persevering with myself...