Skip to content

Darius Charles

Comments

• Jacobson maybe?

And was it Richard Harris?

• No. eight goals from him.

• I always dislike the wiki/league goals only type stats.
    Especially for a club like Wycombe that probably haven't had another 15 cup games to really warp up the stats.

So I only care that Bayo got 18 in the last two seasons, not that it was 12or so and 17 in the league for example.

• Wasn’t there one season that the enigmatic “o.g.” was our top scorer for something like the first 10 games?

• Matt McClure in 2013-14? Seven in the league.

• Beaten by Dean Morgan's eight that year and too many anyway.

This guy flew to the top of the charts despite only scoring six

• @Jonny_King Newcombe was called out onto the pitch for his promotion medal and I'm still not convinced he ever existed

• Wouldn't be Jonny Dixon, would it? Couldn't tell you the year. Early Noughties under Sanchez.

• Wow forgotten about him.

No I'm afraid

• @th100 , surely he didn't get a medal, he was just included in the wander round.

• Probably someone like Craig Faulconbridge then.

• It was indeed Craig in 2002/3. Just six goals. Team overAll scored high 50s.

Incidentally looks very likely that Bayo will be first striker to top score in the league for three seasons. What an amazing signing he has been

• It hit me today that the two goals at Southend could be Bayo's last for the club.

Hopefully not, and he'll bang a few more before season's end. Maybe he'll even get a contract renewal, but we should enjoy him whilst he's playing for us.

They'll never be another like him in football.

• if he cannot score against 'Dale and Walsall we should get rid. He's rubbish! :smiley:

• @OxfordBlue , very much so. And it's flown by.
    I doubt many of us thought he'd be around for more than the initial one year, so three years has been fantastic.

One of our all time most inspirational characters, and I do suspect we may hear retirement talk, unless it suits all sides for a bench role impact sub type role next year, with perhaps more outside interests on top.

• He is going to America at end of the season !!!

@OxfordBlue said:
    It hit me today that the two goals at Southend could be Bayo's last for the club.

Hopefully not, and he'll bang a few more before season's end. Maybe he'll even get a contract renewal, but we should enjoy him whilst he's playing for us.

They'll never be another like him in football.

• @rmjlondon said:

He is going to America at end of the season !!!

Hell fire, you really are "the insider", knowing where the man goes on holiday. That shop role really is the hub of the club!

• edited April 2019

@DevC didn't de Souza bag 20 goals in the first season of Smith ball?

• Oh dear Richie is failing a bit lately. When you're getting your insider info from articles in the BFP

• If we stay up and are to progress Bayo needs to go simple as that - sentiment has no place at a club with no money

• @rmjlondon said:
    If we stay up and are to progress Bayo needs to go simple as that - sentiment has no place at a club with no money

Imagine arguing our top scorer gets into the first team on sentiment.

• Top scorer, top for assists and, according to 3CR yesterday, top for defensive headers. Obviously he's only in the team because he's Gareth's mate.

• Clearly neither of you is listening. Richie said it was simple. Come on.

• Another year (or even two!) for Bayo is an absolute no brainer.

Still adds so much to the team - goals, hold up play, defensive headers, spirit and inspiration. His effect on our younger players is absolutely huge.

No signs yet that he lacks the fitness to play at this level, particularly given his game’s never been based on movement.

Having Samuel’s endless running and doggedness around him only helps too. Rarely have I see two WW forwards that are such a massive physical challenge to opposition centre halves - in totally different ways.

• Continuing along the diversion resulting from the absence of anything more to say about the original subject of this thread, I was interested to read @TheatreOfChairs’ comment that he had rarely seen two WW forwards that are such a massive physical challenge to opposition centre halves.

The best I could do, with my faltering memory, was to try to recall a powerful physical forward and one who ran defenders ragged. Rammell and Beavon came readily to mind followed by Searle and Horseman. Trouble is, in both cases, I suspect they weren’t contemporaries and I’m too lazy (and busy mowing) to do any research. Contributions would be welcome, not least from @TheatreOfChairs him/herself.

• The reference was to Bayo and Alex of course.

• Rammell and Beavon about a decade apart - how the memory plays tricks!
    Oddly, I may be OK with the other two who were both playing for the Wanderers in the mid ‘seventies.

• Tyson and Mooney would be an example of that kind of partnership, but I don’t recall them ever playing that well together despite both excelling separately.

Bayo and Kashket is the duo that excites me more than Bayo and Samuel.

I’d be surprised but happy if Bayo is here next season.

• Agree about Bayo/Kashket @Chris. I think they were both pretty knackered on Friday which might suggest holding them back for their impact value. PCH and Samuel up front perhaps?.

• I suppose Regis and Garner would be a decent comparison. Regis the big man and Garner with his Samuel like ability to get his body into his opponent and cause real difficulties.

Obviously both were more natural goalscorers than Bayo and Samuel hence they both played at the highest levels rather than being a pair of players we picked up on free transfers from League Two clubs.

Personally, I actually like having the two up front with Kashket drifting in from the right to join them. It’s actually remarkable how many chances Scotty’s had or created in the three matches he’s played in that role.

It’s promising and I’d persist with it as I honestly believe the goals will come.