Skip to content

Darius Charles

Anyone got any updates on Darius? Does his contract expire this summer, as I doubt he will feature this season now.

Comments

• He agreed a one year deal in June 2018 according to the bbc, so I expect he will be released in the summer. I had high hopes when he signed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44495618

• edited April 2019

I'm trying to think when was the last time we signed someone on a permanent contract (ie not that farce with Nathan Evans (was it?) who won a squad place in a competition), who played so few games.

Maybe the pair Peter Taylor signed?
    Westlake and Stuart Green perhaps?

Or maybe that clattered Arsenal defender Adams brought in? Scott Marshall?

• The few games he turned out for us, I was really impressed, not only with his physical attributes but his calmness on the ball & excellent forward passing. As already mentioned by @Chris, fully expect him to be released this summer.

• It sounds like Wimbledon fans felt exactly the same way when they released him last summer - looks great for the 3 games a year he's fit for. A real shame for everyone.

• We signed Sebastian Caan-Svard on a short term deal a few years back but he never played.

Off the top of my head, I believe we signed Derek Duncan on a 2-year deal and he played maybe 1/2 games for us in the JPT. Certainly didn't play for us in the league.

• @Malone I'm fairly confident he's managed even fewer appearances than those three leading lights.

• Henry Newcombe - how could we forget! (Very easily to be fair)

• @Jonny_King said:
    We signed Sebastian Caan-Svard on a short term deal a few years back but he never played.

Off the top of my head, I believe we signed Derek Duncan on a 2-year deal and he played maybe 1/2 games for us in the JPT. Certainly didn't play for us in the league.

Was that the guy who went viral for doing a front flip into a penalty?

• I suppose other examples of non playing guys were when we had a bigger squad. Maybe with the exception of Caan-Svard (!) who I only vaguely remember.

Remember when we brought that loanee in from Rotherham, alongside Danny Rowe.
    Must have been shockingly not up to it, as he was on the bench every single game, yet was never even risked for a 1min run out! Bizarre.

• @Malone see Charlie Owens!

• James Ferry came from Brentford on loan. Never played. Now at woking.
    At same time Jermain Udumaga also joined on loan. He played a couple of games before ending up in Sweden. Appears now to have given up the game.

• @YorkExile he has at least got on the pitch though.

I suppose Curtis Thompson is a great example of a signing that looked completely bizarre, who then became a key player.
    Samuel another, although I'd be quite nervous at the idea of him as our main striker next season for a few reasons

• @Malone said:
    @YorkExile he has at least got on the pitch though.

I suppose Curtis Thompson is a great example of a signing that looked completely bizarre, who then became a key player.
    Samuel another, although I'd be quite nervous at the idea of him as our main striker next season for a few reasons

Wycombization

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:
    @YorkExile he has at least got on the pitch though.

Wycombization

For some reason that reminds me of a recent FB post that asked when the last time we had a 20 goal striker was.

I'm not sure the "exact" number Bayo got over the last 2 years, but surely he'd count to all but the most pedantic!

• McGleish?

• McGleish did it once didn't he?
    Did Beavon do it once more recently?

Never sounds an amazing tally does it, 20 goals, from what might be 50+ games in a season. But still so few do it.

• I thought McGleish did 27 i the season we lost out to Stockport in play-offs....but I could be wrong...

• Beavon did it in a relegation season - which is very unusual.

We have only had a 20 goal league goalscorer in 4 seasons in the football league - different player each time.

• @wendover nearly right, 26

• Anyone remember Jack Obersteller and Joe Cobb, from around a decade ago?
    Think they both signed one year deals, but barely played at all.

• Charles played 72 games for Wimbledon over 2.5 years, that's not injury prone really is it.

• I don't think Obersteller ever played?

• @OxfordBlue That kid was called (something like) Joonas Jokkinen. I saw several things that claimed he was contracted to Wycombe (I think we still had our youth team then, so possible he was on the books there as he would have been about 15-18 at the time). Not sure that one was ever satisfactorally solved.

• @DevC Must be Devine, Tyson, McGleish and Beavon?

• From Instagram the squad seem to love Charles, he is always supplying them with unusual Caribbean fruits from Shepard’s Bush market, maybe a future as a nutritionist beckons.

• @Jonny_King said:
    @OxfordBlue That kid was called (something like) Joonas Jokkinen. I saw several things that claimed he was contracted to Wycombe (I think we still had our youth team then, so possible he was on the books there as he would have been about 15-18 at the time). Not sure that one was ever satisfactorally solved.

According to Transfer Market, he spent half the 12/13 season in our youth team. He's 23 now and just finished 4 years in a US University team (Temple Owls).

• @Jonny_King

I wasn't really intending a quiz but those are indeed the only four 20+ scorers.

Ok then, you want a quiz, here's a quiz

Who was the lowest scoring season top scorer in league times?

• Garry Thompson? He was top scorer with 7 a couple of years ago.

• Only joint top scorer that year with one other (who?)

But ni, while they are on the podium, there is one lower top scorer

• Dean Morgan? I won £60 at 6:1 on him being our top scorer one year. He was on at10:1 when I saw the post on the gasroom about this sure bet. By the time I’d found my wallet he’d dropped to 6. Still the easiest £60 I’ve ever made.