Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• Some nice words from Shrews manager Danny Coyne:

“Looking back at it already, I thought they matched us up,” Danny said. “They pressed us, they fought for everything today and they got their just rewards.

“They out battled us and we just couldn’t get anything going today, really. We were trying to get the lads to be braver on the ball.

“When teams press you like they did today, you have to be better on the ball. We didn’t do that today for whatever reason.

“I can’t fault the effort of the lads – they put another shift in, but I thought Wycombe deserved their win.

“They were organised, they worked really hard, and they’re quite direct with the ball when getting up there.

“They got three goals today, so credit to them.”

Danny also feels his side could have done better with the goals the team conceded.

“It was disappointing really,” said Danny. “This is what we worked on and we showed them all the clips to give them the information.

“Adam’s finish was great, but Joe’s was special. He cut in from the wide area and put it into the top corner – there’s not much you can do about that.

“The fans were fantastic today again, coming all that way. Even when we are getting beat you can still hear them.

“They all sing, chant and jump about. We gave them a little lifeline with Fey’s goal, so that was nice.

“It would have been nicer to get something in the last minute to equalise – just to send them home a little bit happier.”

• I enjoyed the songs from both ends yesterday. “Your name is a shop” and “it’s a miracle” were highlights on the soundtrack.

• It was great to see Nathan Tyson back in the starting line-up yesterday. I spoke to him after the game:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/11/25/nathan-tyson-interview/

• Another excellent interview. That first cross aside, I thought Tys had a steady game. He seemed to be wrestled to the ground at a corner in the first half and arguably should have had a penalty. There’s a lot more to come, starting on Tuesday perhaps. Fingers crossed.

• @drcongo said:
    I enjoyed the songs from both ends yesterday. “Your name is a shop” and “it’s a miracle” were highlights on the soundtrack.

May not have come through so loud but "Your name is a shop" turned into "Your advert is s*"t", which was very funny.

• Grimsby Town made a very good spoof advert with him back in 2014.

• @Steve_Peart excellent stuff as always. You are my poster of the year in the forthcoming end of year polls

• Jimmy Greaves, this country's greatest ever goalscorer IMHO, enjoyed a half-time fag. I remember reading in Geoff Hurst's autobiography how Greaves came up to him at half-time in an England game, complaining that Alf Ramsey had told him to put his fag out, but that he found Ramsey minutes later round the back having his own crafty fag.

Legend is a word bandied around around all too easily. In terms of this club, Bodger is THE legend. Liked a smoke and and a drink, didn't like to run much, small, scored 416 goals in 749 games over 17 years. How many players get to have a club mascot based on them?

Incidentally, it was announced on Friday that all ex-players in WWEPA, 122 I think, will be invited to a game towards the end of the season.

• @Steve_Peart weirdly enough we were chatting at half time yesterday about who was the greatest ever English striker and Greavesie was generally agreed to be the man. There's even mention of him in the feature on Chelmsford City in the current WSC. Didn't know he'd played there.

• @MindlessDrugHoover, I'm just reading Barry Fry's autobiography and he says Greavesie was brilliant for Barnet, kicking balls off his own line one minute and popping them in the other end the next. As a recovering alcoholic, he said he would sit in the team coach on his own after games, waiting for his teammates to finish their drinks.

• Do players have to make the effort to join the ex player's association, or is there some sort of qualification on appearances?
    122 sounds quite low?

• @Malone, they have to join and pay a £20 annual sub. That gives them access to various activities, like golf and bowls tournaments, and a quiz night. They have their own box as well. The qualification is having played a game for one of the teams, doesn't have to be the first team I understand.

Looking at their page below, it says close to 100 members, but I thought 122 was mentioned as the invite number. Maybe potential members are coming, they are always trying to track down old players. We lose a few players each year and more recent players are probably less inclined to join, although last year the theme was the League Cup semi-final team, and Lambert, Mooney, Betsy, Easter and others were there. Needless to say, St Martin is always the star turn!

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/fans/ex-players-association/

• Just watching the Goalcam footage and while Stockdale looks to be lacking the necessary reflexes for Shrewbury's first goal, their keeper has an absolute shocker for Samuel's goal. Virtually takes his hand out of the way to give himself a better view of it going in.

• Weird mixture of two absolute top quality goals (JJ and El-Abd), and three that should never have happened.

• bizarre comment on the Shrews forum: '...that vile reincarnation of Ainsworth, Samuel I think it was, was superb at what he did.'
    Anybody have an idea what he meant. I thought Samuel was excellent upfront on Saturday and had them all at sixes and sevens...but apart from longsih hair not sure how he's a reincarnation of Gaz!

• If I was Alex I would take that as quite a compliment

• I'm assuming they just don't like their cultured defenders to be harried, hustled, jostled, closed down and generally given no time to decide how they wish to play the 'beautiful game', for the whole 90 minutes (such a reprehensible, underhand tactic, after all).

He certainly didn't appear to appeal for a goal that didn't cross the line, at any point on Saturday. That would've been a give-away.

Oh wait... I've got it. He invented a bit of cramp, just before he had to be substituted for not being able to run anymore. Nasty piece of work.

• The comments on their site were largely very generous about us, to a notable degree. Even the one referred to here was more clumsily worded than intended, I think. I took it to be a comment about the fact that he had made himself a right pest - in a legitimate way - than that he had been genuinely vile in any way.

• Those Shrewsbury fans know how to hold a grudge don't they!

That "Non" goal must have been a good 5-6 years back surely now!

• TBF @Malone we can hold a grudge or two over an extended period.
    Could start a new thread on old grudges.
    Would help refresh the gasroom from the consortium debate until the Accy game?

• Marlow's done, so the consortium debate is over for now!

• @Malone, some feedback from John Taylor on WWEPA. I got mixed up with the figures. There were 132 ex-players at their first matchday gathering, in 2008. They want to beat that figure on Easter Monday this season, for the Walsall game, when players will be gathering again. John will edit the dinner video and make it available soon.

There are some photos from the dinner at https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/november/gallery-ex-players-reunite-at-dinner/

WWEPA are now on Twitter: @WwfcA

• Nice pics @Steve_Peart .
    I'm too young to recognise most of them, but still some glorious nostalgia with the others.

• @EwanHoosaami , start a thread off old son.
    Mickey Bell, Alan Smith, that plum left sided player who had 1 or 2 good games but sang "i'm loving it" when we lost 7-0 to someone (im sketchy on details for him as you can tell!)

And that's just three starters for our old people.

• The i'm loving it guy was Tom Williams wasn't it?

• Yep, after we got horsed up at Stockport

6-1 maybe?

• One picture has Glyn Creaser on the right of a trio. Middle guy has an Emlyn Hughes style grin but I can’t place him or the fellow on his right who looks a bit like John Maskell but I don’t think it is. Help!

• @micra I can't help on those two characters but John Maskell is middle on the fourth and last photos I believe.

• @micra Andy Robinson

• @floyd , that's the fella.
    I remember him rinsing a Bury right back in perhaps a 4-0 once, and maybe another decent game or 2, but he really wasn't anything special for us.

Apart from having a Page 3 type wife, there was nothing else to the guy at all.