Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• I think the timewasting tactic is more to give the workaholics like Samuel and Gape a breather than to try and run down the clock.

• I had a shot upon JJ's goal

• Agree with all of the above. For a slight fella Samuel really shields the ball well and makes the defenders work. Was really pleased he got his goal. El Abd strike was top drawer as was whatever JJ was trying to do before the ball went in for the second.I had just said Thompson has had a great game today when him and JJ left the ball for their second but I agree with poster above that even when we went behind I fancied us for a win. McCarthy and gape were excellent as well. Fred also looking up for it. Great game and three more points towards safety. COYB!!

• As for time wasting Stockdale was lucky not to get sent off having been yellow carded earlier when he kicked the ball back to the ballboy instead of picking it up. The best way to manage the game is to keep it up by their goal!!!

• Just had a quick look on the Shrewsbury forum, and they are being very complimentary about us... one even stating we are the best they have played this season so far !!! Blimey

• I often feel our reputation for time wasting is rather exaggerated, but today was definitely ott. Stockdale was especially guilty. I just couldn't understand the reason, it wasn't as if we were hanging on and Shrewsbury looked a tired team and offered very little threat. It actually seemed to affect our momentum more than theirs. It was a shame really, as other than that it was a good game and we played very well.

• I followed a Shrewsbury fan down Hillbottom Road and he shouted out loud “I fu**ing hate Wycombe” - what a game!

• Just had a quick read of the Shrews forum - nothing negative (minus a lot aimed at El Abd), in fact very complimentary. Some saying we’re the best side they’ve played so far this season.

One thing that @bluntphil mentioned on 3CR pre-match - Gapey is out of contract in the summer, and surely his performances this season won’t have gone unnoticed. I hope the answer is no but realistically there’s a high probability he may be on his way in January.

• Through the replay you can see JJ's is clearly a shot.

Although it doesn't really matter, as he's only here a week - that is woeful keeping for their first goal from Stockdale.

Lovely move and finish by Samuel, pleased we have him here longer, another gem from Gaz.

• @Gary said:
    Just had a quick read of the Shrews forum - nothing negative (minus a lot aimed at El Abd), in fact very complimentary. Some saying we’re the best side they’ve played so far this season.

One thing that @bluntphil mentioned on 3CR pre-match - Gapey is out of contract in the summer, and surely his performances this season won’t have gone unnoticed. I hope the answer is no but realistically there’s a high probability he may be on his way in January.

I agree re Gape. You’d have thought that if anything the board would be looking to secure a future sell on clause so I’m not sure it would take much up front for him to be on his way.

Maybe we could use any cash to get Morris with Thompson playing the Gape role?

• edited November 2018

My only fear with the excellent Thompson is that, seeing as he is on the same short contract as Samuel, but Samuel has now signed permanently, is that perhaps we have been trying to sign him permanently too, to no avail. The above issue with Gape, combined with Shrewsbury having a Morris-shaped hole in their midfield today, and Thompson being out of contract in January, makes it interesting to see how things shape up for the second half of the season.

• Re Gape: I don't think we can afford to lose both him and Morris in January - Gaz alluded to the fact that we look strong squad-wise until then but not necessarily afterwards. But it's possible the squad is strong enough that we could lose one and still be OK. More impressed by Thompson today than any time previously: until that cock-up for their second, I thought was excellent.

• Thompson has certainly ramped from looking totally average to a solid starter.

That's great credit to him and a similar Samuel esque deal would look a good outcome.
    Pretty much does what bean does but in a much tidier fashion.

• I agree @Malone - the story of our promotion rivals handing him over to us on loan, only for us to pip them to promotion, with him now making waves in L1 while they scuffle in L2, is quite bizarre, and worked out so well for us!

• I don't know how much game time Stockdale has had at Birmingham but he looked unfit and overweight to me...he was very slow to get down to Holloways header. Not too impressed tbh. Other than that great team performance again. I can't remember the last time we won 5 league home games on the trot...does anyone know??

• I think he had been ostracized from the Birmingham team as their manager considered him to be carrying too much timber.

• I agree with @MBS I thought Stockdale did look like he was carrying a little to much weight and was slow for the header but he did improve after that and made a couple of decent claims

• Post match Gaz interview (contains the answer to your question @MBS) :

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/11/24/wycombe-wanderers-3-2-shrewsbury-town/

• Brian Clough won two European Cups doing it...Martin O'Neill knew...Garreth Ainsworth is running with it...sign good players who others think are carrying to much timber/too big to play football/too short/too ginger.....right there is what makes a great manager

• The Americans sweetly call it money all. I call it excellence

• 'moneyball'

• Keith Scott was a reject from Lincoln, 'a donkey'. Steve Thompson was too small and was in the RAF. Jason Cousins was a Brentford reject and 'too volatile'. Simon Garner was well past his best, and smoke and drank like a trooper

• I could go on...

• Anton Vircavs (apologises if misspelled) Tony hemmings etc. All 'miss fits'. Nicky Reid who played in a Cup Final in 82! That is where management excellence lies

• Terry Evans 'I told the gaffer I was unfit against Hereford. I'm always like that when I am unfit.'

• Meanwhile jinking and giving in the loan market, Garreth Ainsworth is the new Martin O'Neill

• Eight nil to @LX1. Shot after shot on target. What a night.

• I’m not usually one to put a dampener on things but I wonder what effect Shrewsbury’s Wednesday evening game had on their energy levels. They did look a bit tired and we have blamed Tuesday games in the past for below par performances the following Saturday.
    At least that won’t happen next week!

• I certainly expected more from the Shrews.

• @LX1, Tony Horseman banged in hundreds of goals having a fag at half-time and not liking training (his words on Friday). At a previous dinner he recalled how he told his manager, Brian Lee, "If I wanted to run, I would have joined Wycombe Harriers".