Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle no I didn't see that. My comments were based on comments I had heard and also at least one suggesting that we weren't that good. Notably the one that began 'the fat oaf was right...'.

• You can please some of the people.......

• I think his industry and decent touch makes Samuel look more dangerous than he is to defenders but while he's getting free kicks and allowing the midfield to play I'm happy. Shame about the posh moaning as I thought it was a good flowing game with a decent ref and they were lucky not to get a player sent off. We deserved the points and if they cannot see that heigh ho. JJ beat one of them for pace at one point for goodness sake! As for time wasting a couple of times after the goal the posh players kicked the ball away from rocky...i agree that bayo is as good with the ball at his feet as he is with his bonce...but his lack of pace and obvious superiority as a target man means we care not likely to stop belting the ball at his head when he plays. But we won another game!

• I have to mention how difficult it was going to be to find a way past their keeper. I remember him from Accrington last year, and he is like a nine foot octopus in goal. He was plucking high crosses with the ease of someone gently taking a plate down from a cupboard. Surely destined for bigger things.

I agree that we did not create much, but neither did they, and almost every period of sustained pressure cane from us, so much so that their chances felt like counter attacks from a plucky underdog.

If you look at what we have done this season, we more than belong in L1. We have still taken less points than our performances deserve, and we have given Portsmouth and Peterborough all they can handle. The fact that opposition fans keep griping that our positive results are more a case of their team playing badly means that we are either incredibly fortunate to be catching teams on a bad day, or that we are doing our job very well, in actually making them look poor.

• They said that when we were in League 2 as well.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think his industry and decent touch makes Samuel look more dangerous than he is to defenders but while he's getting free kicks and allowing the midfield to play I'm happy. Shame about the posh moaning as I thought it was a good flowing game with a decent ref and they were lucky not to get a player sent off. We deserved the points and if they cannot see that heigh ho. JJ beat one of them for pace at one point for goodness sake! As for time wasting a couple of times after the goal the posh players kicked the ball away from rocky...i agree that bayo is as good with the ball at his feet as he is with his bonce...but his lack of pace and obvious superiority as a target man means we care not likely to stop belting the ball at his head when he plays. But we won another game!

Who remembers the moment when posh player retrieved the ball then dropped it almost further away from alsop! Guess posh fans forgot that..

• @Richard_Cheese said:
    The highlight of my Saturday night after watching us get three points used to be reading the much-missed ‘Opposition Fan’s Views’ from Vital. Steve Evans is never going to disappoint for a quote so thought I’d do the honours tonight and do a quick copy and paste job with a selection of Posh views from today’s game:

First, manager Steve Evans … “If Matt scores we win. When you are battling to stay in a promotion race and in the middle of a tough away game you have to take chances like that. It was a great chance superbly created by Ivan Toney, but Matt was poor in everything he did today. We have been hard to contain when we score the first goal and that would have been the case today I’m sure.

But we were poor overall. We finished the last game badly at Burton and that form carried on today. We felt we were playing against a team we should have been able to deal with, but we were well off it.

It’s very disappointing. We didn’t play with our normal spark. There wasn’t much in the game and we have lost to a lucky goal. We tried to chase the game by changing a few things, but we didn’t do enough.”

Leigh Lazaretti – “Massive credit to Wycombe today game plan spot on. Letting us play out from the back attempting long balls which their defence coped very well with. Would have been different if godden had scored but thats how it goes. I know we were time wasting last week but that was a different level today!!!! Let's just move on.”

Mick Bratley – “Wycombe are gash. We are poor.” and,
    “Why on earth did they not let Cummings have a go from that last minute free kick, instead of just putting it in the box by Reed? Played poorly today and Wycombe were one of the worst sides I’ve seen this season.”

High Janus – “But we're still lucky, as Taffazoli should have been sent off.”

Stumpy – “…I thought Wycombe bossed us throughout … and that last minute free kick was an abomination”

Panda – “Deeply frustrating. Wycombe were rubbish.”

Lewis – “A poor performance and Wycombe deserved to win. Why on earth did Posh not shoot with that last minute free kick?”

South lincs posh – “…I didn’t see Wycombe as a good or bad side (a f*cking time wasting one though!), all I saw was a really shit performance from us pretty much all over the park…”

Posh Mick – “We were poor, very poor. In fact there were better performances in the White Horse. Wished I'd stayed there!”

Barn 67 – “… Wycombe weren't all that but passed the ball a bit quicker than us, neither goalie had much to do all game, other than Goddens telegraghed shot & a Maddison 20 yarder i can't remember their goalie having to do anything else.

To top a poor day off they ran out of Chicken Balti pies & getting 1 mile from the ground after the game took forever, but hey ho, we were bound to lose sooner or later but the manner of defeat was disappointing.”

Good work cheese!
    Yes I used to love the vital article as well.

• @Chris said:
    They said that when we were in League 2 as well.

I’ve noticed that fans from other clubs seem to be a lot more biased and prejudiced towards their own team compared to many Wycombe fans. Not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing. Fairness and objectivity versus blind loyalty, merits in both I guess.

• I think on here we are fairly objective a lot of the time, but then we are probably mostly a mature (old) reflective bunch. I’d be surprised if the same level of objectivity applies with our Facebook fans.

• I agree, but the overriding tone on the FB page is so often one of criticism of their own club/manager/players rather than blind loyalty towards them.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think his industry and decent touch makes Samuel look more dangerous than he is to defenders but while he's getting free kicks and allowing the midfield to play I'm happy. Shame about the posh moaning as I thought it was a good flowing game with a decent ref and they were lucky not to get a player sent off. We deserved the points and if they cannot see that heigh ho. JJ beat one of them for pace at one point for goodness sake! As for time wasting a couple of times after the goal the posh players kicked the ball away from rocky...i agree that bayo is as good with the ball at his feet as he is with his bonce...but his lack of pace and obvious superiority as a target man means we care not likely to stop belting the ball at his head when he plays. But we won another game!

I have noticed how many free kicks Samuel wins for us when shielding/holding up the ball. A different type of target man and useful option to have.

• Fred also very clever at getting between man and ball before winning the inevitable free kick

• Samuel has done exceptionally well to work himself up the pecking order from being a mere punt of a squad player, to starting a league game with CMS benched.

Good touch, gets around, draws a lot of fouls, and puts in maximum effort, he's definitely got something about the Andy Baird about him as well as CMS.

There's pros and cons to every striker though, and for all those pros, we put in numerous crosses yesterday that Bayo would have had a chance with, but Samuel was never doing so.
    However, a good display, and you've got to love a bit of badge kissing.

• @micra said:
    You can please some of the people.......

Not in your usual seat on Saturday @micra, probably just as well - you would have needed waders!

• So I heard in the bar at half time @Slaphead. I’d been sitting outside the lounge for the first half after suffering tachycardia before the game (and getting excellent attention from everyone including the medics) so decided to stay put. The worst part came in the evening with the pain of depilation, removing a dozen electrodes attached for the ECG ! I was told to take it easy but how could I avoid getting swept up in the unexpected excitement of a superb display of “proper” football and I joined in the chanting as per usual. I feel fine now.

Apologies to other Gasroomers for posting this. I really should have DM’d it.

• It's nice to know if any of us keel over on the Wycombe journey someone at the club knows what to do @micra !

• @micra - I hope you are feeling better as I know how worrying those type of conditions are. I suffer with the opposite problem to you namely bradhycardia.

• Usually absolutely fine between episodes @mooneyman (every 3 or 4 months on average) but it does make you wary of venturing off the beaten track - walking the dog for example. Beta blockers keep me down to bradycardia levels (45-55) but every so often the damn breaks. C’est la vie.

• I shall keep an eye out for Yew & muttly @micra should a repeat performance occur whilst in transit?

• Hope you are fine now mr @micra and thanks for the birthday wishes

• Trust you’re ok Micra, as the doyen of the gasroom who never stoops to abuse, bad language, personal insults or an inability to listen to other posters’ opinions, I salute you.

• If you need any help Micra, you know where I am. I thought that it was the best game of football in years on Saturday.

• edited November 2018

@glasshalffull here, hier ;) (little one for @Micra to get stuck into )

Although Micra is a bit of an "intellectual bully" constantly picking peeple's bad spellingz and grandma out.

• I just avoid smelling pisstakes, personally.

• Micra merely upholds the standards and sets them for us proles to try to live up to. Glad you’re OK @micra.

• Best wishes to @micra - over 6000 Gasroom 2.0 comments and still going strong - thankfully

• All the very best @micra

• Many thanks everyone. Only three or four episodes a year on average (I think) but it’s the unpredictability that makes it a worry. It deterred me from going to White Hart Lane last season (which I regretted) but I did go to Fratton Park last month on that wonderful celebratory weekend when @bluntphil gave me a “heads up” (is that the expression?) and we finally met before the game on Saturday and had a brief chat. [I hasten to say, Phil, that you bear no responsibility whatsoever for the sequence of events that followed!!]

No need for a medical reason to deter me from going to Kenilworth Road.

• You'll have to cut down on all that wild partying @micra! Glad you're matchfit again.

• Cheers @Jonny_King. I blame Colin Butler, getting me all excited about the latest issue of The Wanderer. ?