Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Couldn’t agree more with all of the above, the best we’ve played in years, fantastic result, performance and atmosphere and so many great performances I have no idea who was mom. 4 home wins in a row, Adams Park becoming a fortress, coyb!

• We are 4th in the six game League One form table. Coventry, Sunderland and Luton are the only sides with better form over that period of time.

• Apart from the fact that we wo did anybody else enjoy in my opinion a really good game of football

• When was the last time we beat a team placed 1st or 2nd in the third tier in a league match? Must be a long time.

Everyone did their job well. And it looked like we had a good game plan. Pressuring the centre backs on the ball and targeting the (rubbish) number 23 at left back when we had the chance.

Didn’t create a whole load of chances and for the most part their centre backs defended crosses very well. But we also kept Peterborough extremely quiet by working hard to disrupt them all over the pitch.

When they did sneak a couple of chances, Allsopp saved superbly.

We’ve given ourselves an excellent platform with those four home wins.

• I am eagerly awaiting Richie’s verdict before assessing whether we were actually any good or not

• What's strange is that apart from running until he dropped, Samuel didn't do more for the team than Bayo - yet when the Beast plays we can't not play it long. We feel compelled to hit the ball up to him. Yet today, at times, it was some of the most intricate, slick attacking football I've seen from a Wycombe side in a while.

Shoutout needs to go to Paris, he gets some stick at times, but today he was all over the place and our stand-out for me.

• Any idea who actually got MOTM? Almost impossible to pick one from such a great all round team performance but I'd maybe go for Fred or Paris. Both absolutely superb. Makes me think maybe Fred wasn't completely match fit when he came to us as his recent performances have been everything we best remember him for.

Early on it seemed the idea was simply to harry Boro constantly to stop them getting time on the ball but soon became obvious we were easily their equals and then betters. Some sublime skills from the likes of Fred, Paris, Randell and Morris at times. Just a joy to watch.

• Great performance by everyone at the club except Ivor Beeks stumbling over his words repeatedly.

• I think El Abd got MOM.

• @MindlessDrugHoover MOTM was Adam El-Abd.

• A great game to commentate on and a very satisfying result with a clean sheet too.

The token for an excellent afternoon was set pre match when I had the pleasure of meeting @micra

• Thats the best weve played for years carry on like this and we will be fine in league one. Ainsworths tactics today were spot on.

• @Glenactico said:
    When was the last time we beat a team placed 1st or 2nd in the third tier in a league match? Must be a long time.

Everyone did their job well. And it looked like we had a good game plan. Pressuring the centre backs on the ball and targeting the (rubbish) number 23 at left back when we had the chance.

Didn’t create a whole load of chances and for the most part their centre backs defended crosses very well. But we also kept Peterborough extremely quiet by working hard to disrupt them all over the pitch.

When they did sneak a couple of chances, Allsopp saved superbly.

We’ve given ourselves an excellent platform with those four home wins.

I saw it differently, it seemed like we let them play from the back but as soon as it came near half way we pressed, to the point they started going goalkeeper, centre back long ball to the front line and we dealt with it.... that today was a a magnificent performance some of the football we played against a "top team" made them look like we were the big boys at the top end of the table. Gareth ainsworth i applaud ??

• Well done to all the Wycombe fans they really did sing there hearts out today we look so much of better side when we sing so loud and well done to the other drummer did well today I do love drumming for this club up the blues let’s keep this run going at home roll on Tuesday and Luton Saturday and Sunderland away hopefully can’t wait well done to players and fans alike keep going Wycombe fans

• Ainsworth showed today he's tactically capable to match the so called big clubs, although i still struggle to see how the fat controller is there manager

• Fantastic win from a very young team playing with commitment, confidence and no-little class. The 442 was balanced, the one-touch on-the-deck passing in the final third a delight to see pinging around. Even when Peterborough broke we didn't panic - the confidence of having a defence used to playing at this level and all playing in their favoured positions. Allsop deserves special mention for those three remarkable saves.

If there was one room for improvement it was on the left, where Williams didn't quite terrorise as much as Fred on the right (I wonder if we'll see Freeman in this position on Tues). Loved Samuel and PCH up front and we're very lucky to have three strong central midfielders in Morris, Thompson and Gape we can now rotate between. Let's hope this remains the case in January.

This is the performance I've been waiting for from an Ainsworth team for years now - marrying tenacity with skill, commitment with culture, positivity with intelligence. It heralds a bright new future. This is surely a team that could challenge for the play offs, right?

• Apparently according to the peterborough forums we were gash, no change there then.

• @OX66 said:
    Apparently according to the peterborough forums we were gash, no change there then.

We were superb we fully deserved the win and they should of been down to a maximum of 10players, how he didn't go for the foul leading to the goal im puzzled and the big lad trying to hit adam?‍♂️

• @OX66 said:
    Apparently according to the peterborough forums we were gash, no change there then.

I have to say I thought for a team second in the league Posh were dreadful. Lots of misplaced passes. Left back was dross. Forwards average. I’m sure much of that is down to our own solid game plan and good defending. Nonetheless, I imagine they will feel that performance was we below par.

• A thoroughly enjoyable performance today. Fred caused problems going forward but also had his best game defensively. Gape and Morris bossed the middle the pitch and Allsop saved the blushes of our centre backs when needed.

As the major critic of referees I thought today's was the best I have seen in years. Got the big decisions right and even rolled the ball back a couple of times.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    What's strange is that apart from running until he dropped, Samuel didn't do more for the team than Bayo - yet when the Beast plays we can't not play it long. We feel compelled to hit the ball up to him. Yet today, at times, it was some of the most intricate, slick attacking football I've seen from a Wycombe side in a while.

Shoutout needs to go to Paris, he gets some stick at times, but today he was all over the place and our stand-out for me.

Was thinking exactly the same. Thanks for saving me the effort of writing it down.

Fantastic team performance against a form team, afternoons like today are why we wanted to get promoted.

• Best part of a truly magnificent performance today was Samuel kissing the badge on being substituted. Bodes well for the chance of keeping him for the rest of the season.

• @Stewie63 said:
    What the Posh thought:

https://www.londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=15685&pid=1029666#pid1029666

Apparently we were rubbish.

"There were better performances in the White Horse. I should've stayed there."

Brilliant.

• @Stewie63 said:
    What the Posh thought:

https://www.londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=15685&pid=1029666#pid1029666

Did you read more than one comment?

• @Stewie63 said:
    What the Posh thought:

Thanks. I was wondering after the game how the lamented Opposition View would have read.

• @Malone said:

@Stewie63 said:
    What the Posh thought:

Did you read more than one comment?

Yes ...and?....did you?

• Ah, how I have missed finding out how crap we were after brilliant victories. Thank you, gracious posh fans.

Maybe we should donate two of our three points to a Peterborough based charity, seeing how little we deserved them.

• What Steve Evans thought

In summary , we got lucky, they would have won if they'd taken their chances. We don't have the quality to score against them.

• What a lovely chap. Heartbreaking that his dominant team was robbed.