Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

13»

Comments

• Sorry but I really don’t think Fred was tracking back for most of the game. He is young and he will improve but not sure I would pick him ahead of PCH or Freeman at the moment.

• I rarely comment on ‘what the manager should be doing’ as to be honest I don’t I the skills to read a game as (some) others here and around me at the match have. There’s a chap behind me who often makes pertinent and helpful observations and clearly has a mind that synthesises fast moving complex visual information much faster than I ever can. I often find myself nodding in agreement and thinking ‘yep, that makes sense now’.

But for what my opinion is worth I don’t think we have found the best combination that involves CMS yet. I don’t presume to know what it is from what we have but hoofing it at him it isn’t. Which may not be what Gaz has asked anyone to do of course. More a lack of confidence in midfield to pick a pass- and sometimes ability. Lot of groans from me and others yesterday at passes not reaching teammates and lack of understanding as who was going where with and without the ball.

What I really want to see is a fully fit Tyson back. There’s pace, skill and never give up spirit in one package.

• There is an easy solution to stopping the midfield hoofing it up to CMS. Play Sam Saunders.

• It's not the midfield though is it, they're mostly just standing around watching it sail over their heads.

• Tru dat, from the commentary he was ready to come on yesterday but wasn’t chosen in the end. I don’t think we have found our best line up yet but we have the squad to compete. Can’t wait til we find a starting 11 who gels and can do the business.

In Gaz we trust

• On a couple of occasions when we broke them down on the edge of our box I looked at Fred. I hoped he would be looking over his shoulder screaming for the ball as he made a run. He was just stood there. Either this is a lack of sharpness or a disappointing read of play. Early days but he is clearly at a career crossroads, I hope he makes the right turn.

• That was another cracking game and a well won point. Oxford belated their lowly status and I feared we would be trounced after the early pressure. Ricky Holmes was excellent and obviously Karl Robinson has been reading the gasroom as poor old jj had a torrid afternoon. We could have snatched it late on but they should have had a penalty as well. Ref made some strange decisions but on the whole I think he let the game flow...three advantages in a row and then a fight when the whistle was finally blown...whats not to.like. Six minutes with three of our defensive players on a yellow was nailbiting though. Except for ten minutes in the second half I could not see the point of playing fred. Paris would have been a better bet for me. Don't worry people I am missing the Southend and Burton Albion games so they are bound to be high scoring victories!!

• It’s a fair shout to wonder why PCH didn’t get a start after his excellent showing at Charlton, although perhaps he’s just being eased back to full game time.

The PNLs had far too many players ready to run straight at us and it clearly frightened the bejesus out of us. I’m not a fan of Bean, but I thought that game could have done with a no-nonsense spoiler in midfield...pace-wise of course he may have done no better than we had, though.

• Bean looks well down the picture at the moment. Will probably get a run out on Tuesday though.
    I wonder if we'll change things to up the defensive approach for Portsmouth away.

We've usually tended to play well down there, but i'm not sure we've ever faced them in such form.

• @PBo said:
    It’s a fair shout to wonder why PCH didn’t get a start after his excellent showing at Charlton, although perhaps he’s just being eased back to full game time.

The PNLs had far too many players ready to run straight at us and it clearly frightened the bejesus out of us. I’m not a fan of Bean, but I thought that game could have done with a no-nonsense spoiler in midfield...pace-wise of course he may have done no better than we had, though.

I'm probably being dense, but what on Earth does PNLs stand for?

• Plucky Non-Leaguers.

• @WanderingDays bloody hell...even I knew that!

• @Wendoverman said:
    That was another cracking game and a well won point. Oxford belated their lowly status and I feared we would be trounced after the early pressure. Ricky Holmes was excellent and obviously Karl Robinson has been reading the gasroom as poor old jj had a torrid afternoon. We could have snatched it late on but they should have had a penalty as well. Ref made some strange decisions but on the whole I think he let the game flow...three advantages in a row and then a fight when the whistle was finally blown...whats not to.like. Six minutes with three of our defensive players on a yellow was nailbiting though. Except for ten minutes in the second half I could not see the point of playing fred. Paris would have been a better bet for me. Don't worry people I am missing the Southend and Burton Albion games so they are bound to be high scoring victories!!

What happened at the final whistle? I left before

• @bigred87 , I misread like you did first time.
    The whistle was "finally" blown after the 3 advantages in a row.

I actually missed this incident as I was taking a "comfort" break

• @Malone said:
    @bigred87 , I misread like you did first time.
    The whistle was "finally" blown after the 3 advantages in a row.

I actually missed this incident as I was taking a "comfort" break

Oh i see, thank you for clearing that up

• How dare you mis-read me. Sorry I've been away...apologies for confusion it was written on phone rather than in front of a keyboard so perhaps a tad clumsy...thanks for clearing it up. @Malone missing the handbags what a shame.

• Just looked at the sky highlights...2 minutes of Oxford attacking a couple of Allsop saves and one disallowed Wycombe goal! Looked less exciting than it was being there!

• It was indicative of how much pressure we put on Oxford and how physical they had to be that whoever it was making a powerful run through the centre circle was lunged at three times. No doubt the referee (a late replacement for Andy Davies) thought he was doing the right thing but to our players it must have looked in keeping with his overall performance- ie he appeared to be more lenient towards Oxford. It certainly led to the most comprehensive melee so far this season.

Their central defenders were wrestling with CMS throughout, right in front of the linesman on at least a couple of occasions in the first half so, what with that and the three advantage decisions, our foul count should have been on a par with Oxford’s.

• Radio Oxford on the way home was a difficult listen. “Physical Wycombe” blah blah “two blatant penalties” blah blah “25 chances to their 4” (who makes up these stats?). Apparently the ‘melee’ was “clearly pre-meditated” (as if we’d discussed beforehand what we would do if the ref kept playing advantage for foul after foul) - yet no mention of the kind of mindset which led to them trying to bring one player down after another, then another...

• I'm always amazed that they go on about Bayo fouling....I'm not sure what their manager tells their players, but if it was me I would suggest they crowd him out and do whatever they can to stop him jumping. Which is what they seem to do...and yet HE is holding THEIR shirts??? 'Yes...just let him get his head to the ball boys...it's not like he can do much damage...remember fair play at all times!!'

• @Wendoverman Bayo did give as good as he got though:

• You mean that cheat viciously headbutting his hand @Uncle_T ? (Facts are very over-rated I find..)

• It’s interesting how high up the bottom of Bayo’s shirt is.

“it didn’t get there by itself”

• I have thought for a while he ought to try a brighter coloured under layer. It would make the shirt tug more obvious but might not be allowed under kit rules.

• As a fan I know exactly what my defenders would be doing in their place so the constant opposition carping about Bayo continually fouling does grate...

• @Right_in_the_Middle there was a suggestion, after the (I think) Port Vale home game last season, when this unpunished shirt pulling became just too ridiculous, that his shirt should have velcro fastenings, so that a firm grab by an opponent would see the shirt come of in their hands.

I think the idea was ultimately poo-pooed on the grounds that the ref would wave play on anyway, and subsequently book Bayo for removing his shirt.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I have thought for a while he ought to try a brighter coloured under layer. It would make the shirt tug more obvious but might not be allowed under kit rules.

I suggested a bright undelayer last year. Not allowed under the rules apparently. Any undershirt has to be lose to the main shirt colour and can’t clash with opposition or GK.

• Can imagine some rule bod with a colour coding book adjuding whether colours are close enough.
    Black, well...that's close to dark blue, but not light blue I'm afraid...

• Maybe as light a blue undershirt as he's allowed to wear then? Probably more likely to catch the ref's eye than dark blue/black.