Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Yeah, in keeping with quite a few others on here it seems, I thought Baptiste and Holmes were the best players on the pitch.

Lucky to go in at half time level, and yet if anyone was going to win it at the end it was us.

The offside must have been very tight but the linesman was bang in line and had no hesitation. I suspect the replay will show he made a good call.

• Whyte and Henry were decent enough as well. Not a bottom four side for me and were a pleasure to watch at times.

• Yep, that Holmes was irritating, kept gliding past players with the ball glued to his foot.

Slightly worried that we've only won one in 8 now. And can't see off what to date has looked a shocking team in Oxford.

We don't really have a clue what our best front 3 is.
    Today didn't help that at all. CMS didn't look very effective, and Bayo did when he came on. But was that because 20mins at the end is what Bayo should be doing now?

Hope Stewart isn't too bad. He seems to get a 2-3monther every season unfortunately.
    I wonder if Charles is anywhere near, although Harriman is more than a solid option with McCarthy going central.

• JJ tackle was yellow at worst, Referee was changed late and was due to be Andy Davies which is a shame as he is a much better official than Mr Webb

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@fame_46 , Doncaster and Charlton were pretty ruthless! The latter we were well in the game, and then all of a sudden had shipped 3. Similar with Charlton, played well, yet still shipped 3.

I think we might have to go more defensive in some of these big aways though.

Agree on Kashket and Fred. A shame Stewart's early withdrawal meant no Kaskhet as well, and Fred doesn't deserve to be starting over a few others now.

I'd still probably start Fred on Tuesday though, along with Paris and Kashket.

• Unfortunately I believe that AS coming off so early in the game cost Kashket the opportunity to join in. Fred showed why he's not at Milwall atm. It appears to my untrained eye that he has a bit of Aaron Holloway about him. He needs to get angry/feel done an injustice to get the fire in him. No doubting his ability & physique, just wish he'd use it more?
    Personally I would have taken off Fred & left on CMS, as I think CMS had worked hard against 2/3 players all game and he has the experience to have had around Bayo, but I'm not the manager and have to respect his decisions based on his more intimate knowledge of the players. A fortunate half time score that could have morphed to 3 points at the end, but I'll take the one as acceptable.

• Freeman is better than Fred and Williams imo and think he could also do a job in the Bloomfield role shame he cant even make the bench now.

• Some truly bang average performances today and not sure whether it’s cos of the step up or form. The guy playing number 3 for us looks like JJ but in slow motion in every aspect of his game. The midfield were totally absent for the first half and were again slow picking up players who to be fair did not look like elite athletes.
    For me Fred did not work and looked lost in his position. Not playing on the last man, not really holding width, not dropping enough, looked like a player lost until the last 10 minutes.
    I’m at a total loss as to why Freeman and Kashket were not given game time as both could have contributed more than any of our attacking options today.

• I suspect the deal we have with Millwall is that he has come here to play not be sub or he might aswell have stayed there.

• edited September 2018

I've wondered if there might be a similar deal with Watford about Williams. Tend to feel Paris is a better bet to start than either at the moment even if Kashket isn't fit enough to do so.

• edited September 2018

Also, highlights are up, all one minute fourteen seconds of them - why do we always seem to get half the length of most other matches? It's super tight but I think the offside call is justified.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11499321/wycombe-0-0-oxford-utd

• The scrum between the players in the centre circle was my favourite part of the game

• @fame_46 Fred worked hard defensively and hopefully with some more minutes under his belt we will see his attacking potential. I think he has some way to go to match Holloway for petulance!

• @HCblue said:
    Also, highlights are up, all one minute fourteen seconds of them - why do we always seem to get half the length of most other matches? It's super tight but I think the offside call is justified.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11499321/wycombe-0-0-oxford-utd

Video on Facebook , taken from Frank Adams , shows that Bayo was well offside. Correct decision unfortunately.

• We have 3 right backs in a 4 man defence - that is a real problem. What is happening with Darius Charles? CMS worked like a dog today but Fred and Randell were too powder puff for a derby game. Bayo has a great impact and showed what he can bring to the team. Bloomfield had an excellent second half. For Oxford - Holmes was a constant threat and Baptiste .... wow - he was outstanding in the middle - the kid could turn on a sixpence.

• Some really good and very fair reports, compensating well for the loss of the Vital reports. I thought Oxford were most impressive, especially in the first half, and it was a miracle that they were unable to capitalise on some sloppy defending and misplaced passes (as well as an ill-directed crossfield throw-in).

Ricky Holmes (No 12) has been a thorn in our side for several seasons, particularly for Portsmouth and Northampton. Shandon Baptiste (No 26) is only 20 but possesses prodigious skills. Gavin Whyte (No 16) looked to me to be carrying a bit of timber, perhaps because he has apparently been mainly on the bench but, after scoring for Northern Ireland during the week, he was promoted to the starting lineup today. He certainly gave JJ and Fred plenty to think about.

The best news today is that Darius Charles is now expecting to be available for selection next week. He was introduced to us in the Woodland before the game. Although first and foremost a central defender, he confirmed that he can also cover left back and “centre forward”.
    Very sad to see Anthony Stewart injured. Just hope for his sake and ours that it proves to be less than serious.
    Night all.

• Thanks @OxfordBlue - that actually makes me feel better it is a point gained rather than two dropped!

• I suspected that the lino was correct, that photo would appear to confirm it. BTW @OxfordBlue, you need to recharge your phone mate! !

• Heck of a photo!

• It’s from the Facebook group - it is a still from someone’s video I believe

• Incredible to see people leaving the game early. I could see cars driving out of the top car park on 80 minutes. How would those that were Wycombe supporters have felt when they heard the cheer?

• edited September 2018

Yeah, the family stand seemed almost empty by game's end.

Not the terrace, though. :-)

• @HCblue said:
    Yeah, the family start seemed almost empty by game's end.

Not the terrace, though. :-)

Talking of "the terrace" it was odd to see the usual exodus on the 40 minute mark to get a beer when there was clearly at least quarter of an hour left to play

• I guess we're all creatures of habit. Especially the creatures of habit.

• The reason I thought Kashket wasn't brought on was the sheer physicality of the game. Fred did actually win a few headers and tackles, and I'm not so sure that's Kashket's thing, I'm not saying that to imply that he doesn't try, just that I think he needs to be somewhat wrapped in cotton wool given his injury record.

I don't get to that many games these days but can't remember so many times we were relying on great saves, defensive blocks and shite shooting from the opposition to keep us in it. Certainly on the balance of play then the draw was a good result, although the Bayo offside was obviously galling and it would have been hilarious if we'd won it.

• I think criticism of Fred is a tad harsh. Although he's clearly lacking in some confidence up front, he was tracking back, working hard, and arguably was our only attacking outlet for much of the game.

The bizarre thing about the gameplan, was that even though we dropped Bayo, we still played as if he was there - lumping it up to CMS who was constantly out-jumped and muscled by their CBs.