Skip to content

Match day thread: Charlton

Comments

• Sido’s own goal could have been prevented if Jason McCarthy has done his job properly.

In complete control of the game for the first half hour and let it slip again. The second half performance was so sloppy. If we don’t learn from our mistakes soon we’ll be heading back to League Two.

• @drcongo, soggy sausage roll £3.60, tea £2.40, too expensive.

• The only thing with Bayo today, and why I'm sticking with him - is against those 2 HUGE centre-halves, Kashket and Fred would have been completely bullied out of the game if starting.

• I think @prufrock_91 if you didn't think Thompson played well today you never will. Ive seen little in him but today was a good shift.

Bayo wasn't any sort of threat. Completely dominated by their defenders without a whimper unfortunately.
    I think we should try the cms central experiment a bit more. Especially now paris is back in contention.

They had lively front men and the slightly worrying thing is we still conceded three on a day we dealt fairly well with them.

Having said that they scored a lucky deflection and that third goal was a lucky drop.
    We could easily have drawn today

• I felt that a draw would have been a fairer reflection of how the game played out. We were certainly the better team in the first half but had a horror 20 minutes after the hour mark and good teams like Charlton will always punish mistakes. I thought Thompson had his best game for us and I don’t understand the criticism of Allsop.
    It was great to see that the majority of fans gave excellent support throughout and stayed to applaud the players at the end. I’m confident that we’ll be ok in this division.

• Allsop is a bog standard keeper..Cost us points today!
    Give Maka a run of 3-4 games and he’ll keep us up.

• Bit of a stuck record now, @Peter.

• edited September 2018

@Malone said:
    I think @prufrock_91 if you didn't think Thompson played well today you never will. Ive seen little in him but today was a good shift.

Bayo wasn't any sort of threat. Completely dominated by their defenders without a whimper unfortunately.
    I think we should try the cms central experiment a bit more. Especially now paris is back in contention.

They had lively front men and the slightly worrying thing is we still conceded three on a day we dealt fairly well with them.

Having said that they scored a lucky deflection and that third goal was a lucky drop.
    We could easily have drawn today

It's not that I don't think he played well - he was ok, but the weakest part of our midfield and I don't think he is good enough for the league.

Also - the scariest part of the defence was the ease that they slipped straight balls along the floor and turned us, a thing that rarely happened in L2. Will need to smarten up there.

• The through balls that sliced our defence were worrying, but I felt their goals came mostly during a couple of periods where we decided to hoof it long instead of the slick passing play that worked so well for most of the first half. Every time we hoofed it it came straight back at us, and often led to us fouling someone to stop the counter.

• On another note, did anyone think it was a ludicrously harsh booking for "Time wasting" for their keeper after 90mins?

Their defender was standing over the ball, then ran off, beckoning the keeper to take it. The keeper went straight over, and the ref booked him!

• I feel like we are just missing a tiny bit of ruthlessness that would turn more of these results into wins, but I think we are going to get there. The support looked fantastic on iFollow, too!

• @Malone said:
    On another note, did anyone think it was a ludicrously harsh booking for "Time wasting" for their keeper after 90mins?

Their defender was standing over the ball, then ran off, beckoning the keeper to take it. The keeper went straight over, and the ref booked him!

The ref had warned him a few times. The free kick was in a territory where you'd expect the keeper to take the kick but it was an orchestrated piece of deception. The ref wasn't having it and booked the keeper. It was only difficult as the defender was probably more responsible having set himself up to take the kick only to decide it was better for the keeper to take it. Maybe harsh but he had to clamp down at that point

• I agree the 'keeper was unlucky. The defender should have got the yellow.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I felt that a draw would have been a fairer reflection of how the game played out. We were certainly the better team in the first half but had a horror 20 minutes after the hour mark and good teams like Charlton will always punish mistakes. I thought Thompson had his best game for us and I don’t understand the criticism of Allsop.
    It was great to see that the majority of fans gave excellent support throughout and stayed to applaud the players at the end. I’m confident that we’ll be ok in this division.

Agree with this, spot on for me

• The ref dealt with the time wasting right at the end fairly well I thought. Added on a good extra 2-3 minutes beyond the 5 to account for the defender laying down. Not sure McCarthy needed to rush in, as in rarely helps and often wastes even more time. The ref coped with that quite well.
    Sadly we couldn't make them pay by scoring a third right at the death. That would have been sweet.

• Agreed with Mr Glasshalffull on a rare occasion. Allslop pulled off two great one on one saves. Had no chance with any of the goals. The fact we are more than competing with teams like Charlton is encouraging. Personally would have left CMS on for another 10-15 mins. Fred's performances in the last two games don't seemed to have differed much from the way his original loan spell with us tailed off.

• Fred seems to have an excellent first touch and a terrible second.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I felt that a draw would have been a fairer reflection of how the game played out. We were certainly the better team in the first half but had a horror 20 minutes after the hour mark and good teams like Charlton will always punish mistakes. I thought Thompson had his best game for us and I don’t understand the criticism of Allsop.

Apologies for dragging this down - I find it well nigh impossible to tap the thumbs up icon on my tiny iPhone screen without turning “quote” pink and dragging the post in question down to the “Leave a Comment” box. Curtis Thompson is improving with every match and he was excellent at right back at Northampton.

I know these are early days and he needs time to adjust to a different position compared with the one he played in four years ago but I have been disappointed with the quality of Fred Onyedinma’s first touch, considering that he has been playing playing in the Championship and League 1 in the meantime. Neil Harris (Millwall manager) said in an interview for the South London News that Fred is still looking for his niche (sic) position and that he thought he would discover what it is over the next six to eighteen months! He also said that Fred is capable of playing in any of the four forward positions - wide right or left, centrally on the shoulder, or even as a no. 10. (Watch out Sido.)

• @aloysius How was JJ’s corner in the 89th minute for you?

• Why sub CMS he puts there defenders under pressure Bayo doesn't because he can't. Don't get me wrong I love the guy BUT he doesn't look fit to me and hasn't so far this season. Bring him on for the last 20 mins as a impact sub

• One subject poster @Peter do we think he is Yves mum or agent?

• I did not travel so cannot add much to those with eyes there but Cms and bayo does not work for me. Either or. And I like thompson. I think he's a solid midfield player. So hero Freeman not even on the bench, 'unconvincing' Williams scores and last week's hero sido bags an own goal. A mixed bag to be sure. Still think we've got enough to stay up and there's a lot of football to be played.

• @LeedsBlue significantly better.

• Decent game, but very frustrating from a Wycombe point of view. We controlled long spells of both halves without really making the most of it, whilst Charlton really cashed in on their 15mins or so of dominance.

On the subject of Bayo. I thought his hold up play was immaculate, he linked the play superbly at times. What I did notice though was that he was nowhere near as effective in the air, as against most League 2 sides and as a result, he never posed much of a goal threat. To me, it seems a little odd that after success at Plymouth and Bradford with CMS leading the line and Bayo coming off the bench that it was changed yesterday? Certainly CMS for all his hard work, had very little influence on the game. All that said, up until the own goal we were in control, so from that perspective it's hard to argue with the starting XI.

• Did anyone else notice a "heated exchange" (looked fairly heated to me) midway through the second half between Bayo and Ainsworth?

• I’m loathed to single out individual errors today but prefer to look at the bigger picture. It’s becoming clearer by the week that you can’t play League Two style football in League One. Where we’ve adapted our style to the higher division we look more comfortable & a bigger threat.

Playing Bayo against lesser sides might work but he was fairly ineffective today. PCH, although sometimes frustrating & a bit petulant, is a clever footballer & better suited to League One. Charlton’s two big centre-halves were very dominant in the air today. That means you have to play through them & we weren’t mobile enough up front today until the latter stages. Credit to Randell Williams for a great goal & a very good performance by Curtis Thompson.

• Easy to throw the baby out with the bathwater here as we lost but we were great for a good half hour in the first half and an admittedly smaller chunk early in the second. A silly error or two and the timing and choices around subs seemed to kill us off as much as the expected Charlton pressure.

For our brand of 3 up front to work the wide strikers need to hunt and track back, Scotty was very tenacious when he came on but covering right back will never be his game and Fred didn't seem to be either ready or particularly suited to the kind of chasing around that CMS and Randell had been doing. If the idea was to give the latter 2 a rest and bring on new legs it backfired and we looked out of sorts. At this stage Charlton took control and it was the midfield 3 that looked tired and off the pace, but as soon as we conceded we needed to bring Paris on for Bayo instead of a Bean or Saunders.

• Dropping Bayo would surely need to be done with extreme care - he seems to be the biggest influence outside of Gaz in the dressing room.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We are far more attractive on the eye than last season and if we stop the sloppy goals we should be absolutely fine.....