Skip to content

Team to Play Northampton 4 September

With the recent addition of several new or returning players there is an opportunity to rest most of those who played against Luton. I’ll have a shot at naming names and would be interested to know what others think (if indeed they care, but remember there is potential for substantial income from Checkatrade matches). No prizes when the lineup is announced tomorrow evening, just kudos.
My stab:

Ma-Kalambay
Harriman
Jombati
Stewart
Fox
PCH/Fred
Bean
Saunders
Freeman
Akinfenwa
Williams/Samuel

Comments

• Any whispers on Darius Charles' status?

• Another “close” I think, along with Tyson.
    Today’s third ‘keeper signing - 19 year old Cameron Yates - may be on the bench but I assume Ma-Kalambay has recovered from the crick in the neck which kept him out of the FGR game.

• John Granville
    Howard Jones
    Gasman
    Andy Kerr
    Dave Bassett
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Glasshalfempty
    Glasshalffull
    Martin Bullock
    Richie
    Trevor

• Without checking eligibility rules

Ma-K

Harriman Fox Stewart Jombati
    Bean
    Saunders freeman
    Samuel
    Kashket Fred

subs to include PCH (if ready for 45 mins), charles (if ready for 30 mins) Yates, Thompson

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @eric_plant Bullock over Dave Carroll?

• @micra said:

Today’s third ‘keeper signing - 19 year old Cameron Yates - may be on the bench but I assume Ma-Kalambay has recovered from the crick in the neck which kept him out of the FGR game.

I was thinking perhaps the opposite could be true and Ma-Kalambay's neck is more cricked than initially thought. It may be the case that the intention was to have Cameron Yates hanging around the squad in the same way as Henry Newcombe did last season, without actually being officially signed or announced, but that the injury to Ma-Kalambay has made it necessary to sign him formally so that he can play for the team if required. I guess we may find out tomorrow evening.

• Yves
    Harri Fox Stewart Bean
    Thompson
    Saunders Freeman
    Kashket Samuel Fred

Worried about LB; JJ needs a rest but Sido probably does too. Beanie's last appearance at LB was not a particular success, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

• If Bean plays Left Back he may need to take a throw in.......which I think it's fair to say is not one of his strengths!

• edited September 2018

Surprised to see these games are on ifollow as well.
    £10 probably sounds steep when it's only £5 to get in for an adult (!), but may find myself watching it.

• @eric_plant said:
    John Granville
    Howard Jones
    Gasman
    Andy Kerr
    Dave Bassett
    Gareth Ainsworth
    Glasshalfempty
    Glasshalffull
    Martin Bullock
    Richie
    Trevor

Richie isn't available. He has a prior appointment at Kennelworth Lane to watch Luton play Brighton.

• @Wig_and_Pen I believe Fox can play left back. I also heard a rumour that Thompson can too - I didn't even realise he was left footed, although he did seem to favour his left on Saturday.

• Thompson can play left back!? That's a surprising one.
    But agreed on the surprise on left footedness. He's hardly on the ball that much to notice!

The main positive i'd give him is he's pretty decent in the air for his size, but apart from that, so far, so forgettable, and must be struggling to get in the 18 when we get everyone back.

• I would be wary of any Howard Jones because although admirably they often don't want to be hip and cool, they also do not want to play by the rules.

• I was always left-back at school: left back on the sidelines after the captains had picked their teams.

• @eric_plant You wouldn’t find me playing in this joke competition! Current fitness issues notwithstanding.

• I feel a little bad for mocking the Checkatrade so much when I found out how much better the prize money is compared to the Carabao. A good opportunity to rotate and make some cash at the same time.

• Like a White Horse stripper

• @LX1 said:
    Like a White Horse stripper

POTD!

• I have now read Wycombe characterized anthropomorphically as a stripper. It is time to retire from life.

Or, was that just the naked truth?

• Although I’m not the greatest fan of the Checkatrade Trophy I’ll make the effort to go to Northampton for 2 reasons:

1) There’s £10,000 up for grabs which we could do with (or in WWFC-speak “an undisclosed financial remuneration”).

2) A chance to see a forward line of maybe Cowan-Hall, Kashket & Onydinma. Now that should be worth watching!!

Anybody know the best way to/from the railway station & ground?

• @A_Worboys I've walked it a couple of times, between 1.5 and 2 miles and took about half an hour if I remember it correctly.

• @eric_plant Dave Bassett manager, or Dave Bassett superfan?

• Superfan of course!

• Our very own Bayo.

• "Your love is such a thrill
    But your love won't pay my bills
    I want money
    That's what I want."

• @A_Worboys said:
    Anybody know the best way to/from the railway station & ground?

Google maps says 1.5 mile walk and 30 minutes.

• What a strange world when the prize money on offer is a reason to go.

• Ten whole grand - barely two hours' wages for some of the top Prem players. But I guess we should bow and scrape and say thank you for scraps from the table.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What a strange world when the prize money on offer is a reason to go.

Perhaps, but isn't that part of the "responsibility of ownership" that marks us out from the majority of clubs? We may not be able to write cheques to cover losses in the way typical owners can but one of the things we can do is to support the team when it has the chance of raising additional funds for the club as well as winning a football match.