Skip to content

Pre season friendlies

Comments

• I suggest that Anthony Stewart was probably in the Kyle Walker role as there was apparently at least a flirtation with three at the back in the West Ham game (or 5-3-2 as @aloysius prefers to describe it).

I think it is unlikely that Charlie Fox will be drafted into the QPR first team squad.

• Darius Charles is cover for JJ at left back.

• Only @Wwfc2015_ predicting doom? I assume @trevor is waiting for the first loss in the League (as he predicted)...but has @rmjlondon finally gone full hatter?

• Managed to see the Chesham pitch through the fence. It's green and was being watered, but the corners are a bit burnt. I couldn't say how smooth it was.

• @StrongestTeam, I'll do my very best. Here's some photographic evidence of the pitch, the gate was open when the cricket finished. Someone else was also photographing it. Close up it looks pretty even, but is not fully grassed and is going to be a bit hard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/odvG3cN8bTRskgF5A

• edited July 2018

There seemed to be the occasional uneven bounce which is hardly unexpected in the circumstances but it seemed to play OK. It had been well watered inmost areas.

It was a shame to lose Kashket, who was visibly upset for the rest of the game, left the pitch after 90 minutes looking absolutely miserable. But silver linings - it gave "Trialist-CF" - Tomi? - a chance to impress which he duly did. "Trialist - CB" looked good too, particularly in comparison to El-Abd who I thought looked out of sorts.

Interesting to see Yves getting as much game time as he is - are we seeing genuine competition for the goalkeeping position? That's a luxury I can't remember us having for years.

• The triallist centre half let himself down a bit for Chesham's equaliser I thought. Might have cost himself there

Sam Saunders was the main man last night, a class apart in terms of first touch and ability to see and deliver a pass. Looked really sharp and fit as well. Lovely to see, and I think he will thrive in a higher league.

Also thought that Chesham's no.9 looked a very handy player. Having done a bit of research it seems he's been around the non league scene for a while. But he played very well indeed last night.

• ps I don't think there's much competition for the keeper's jersey. I'd expect to see Allsopp play 46 league matches next season, injuries notwithstanding

• @Wig_and_Pen you’re having a laugh aren’t you? “Trialist cb looked good”. Sorry he was absolutely hopeless for me and very concerning he was playing in the penultimate friendly.

Tomi looked good as did O’nien And freeman, and in patches Saunders. But I came away from last night very concerned about the new season. We appear three signings short and if Bayo isn’t fit we look weak.

• No.9 was Ryan Blake, spent last year at Enfield Town after playing the previous 3 seasons at Chesham. Best known for scoring the goal to knock Bristol Rovers out of the FA Cup in 2015. Played well and scored against Luton last week as well.

• Interesting how we all see different games. Some personal observations.
    Freeman: M of the M. Only player who offered any penetration, saw more of the ball than anyone else. Became our go to player, is that a good thing? Needs to believe in himself more, couple of times should have got the shot away but looked for Saunders ( yes I know that is how the goal came) , clearly playing to orders.
    Saunders: God he loves himself. Against a team four levels below us he should have bossed the game, in truth created little and failed to break down their defence . Three terrible corners failed to even reach the near post. We will need him to step up big time to do well in Div1. But he is the one class midfielder we have, need another imo but Gaz seems happy with midfield.
    CB1: a quietly assured game until the blunder for their goal, on such fine margins are trials determine.
    Paris: Just doesn’t seem to fit the plan ( please tell me there is a plan). I’m fed up with him being fed up with Sido, it’s boring just do something Paris.
    Tomi: Lack of options suggests he will be signed. What a debut vs WHU, over the subsequent games looking increasingly more Gozi U than Eze.
    Beano: Sorry ‘Beany’. Against a nothing side there was nothing to break down in midfield, so the game passed Marcus by, must have been a game time / fitness exercise to keep him out there.
    Scotty K: see my comments on another thread, really feel for the kid. It is a cruel game.
    The Big Y: Clearly a number 2. Concentration issues?
    JJ: looked good when he came on but so should everyone against this level.
    ‘Warrior’ Adam: Don’t think coming in as a sub suits him, finds it hard to pick up the pace of the game. Not an issue of course as he will start in a pairing with Stuart ( who was solid against not much opposition ).
    Others all had unremarkable solid games.
    The thing I was looking for against such lower opposition was shape to the game, post Bayo what was going to be the plan and I couldn’t see one. No Vardi like through balls for Scotty to start. Who was Nick F supposed to cross to , felt like hit it and hope.
    But what do I know.

• You know a lot @perfidious_albion and, as someone who ummed and aaahed about going last night, I found your analysis very interesting. Talking of um-er-ah, Josh Umerah would, for me at least, be a welcome signing but I imagine Charlton have other plans.

• I'm slightly concerned that the "knock" that kept Darius Charles out of the first friendly may be significantly worse than that given he's not featured in any of the first four. At least Stewart looks fit and sharp and we have Jombati for back up.

• Time we all calmed down a bit, methinks. The whole purpose of pre-season friendles is to improve fitness levels and experiment with different systems and different players (trialists). Reading too much into them is pointless. We’ll have a good indication of what our season will be like only after the first 8-10 league games and even then things can change one way or the other.

• you say "all"

it's just tiny handful of people really isn't it?

• Extraordinary divergence of opinion about last night! Luckily @eric_plant is always right, so we can all relax.

• I hope you’re right Eric.

• @floyd apart from when I was banging on about what a terrible signing Akinfenwa was

it's not really possible to be more wrong than that

• I am starting to look at the League 1 page with a bit of signing envy I won't deny. Marcus Browne to Oxford from West Ham on a season long loan is an exceptional signing. I hope that GA has already lined up a couple of creative sorts and we are just waiting for the dominos to fall right.

• Would CMS be a better CF option in the absence of Bayo?

• I fully expect teams to find it ‘easier’ to nullify Bayo’s goalscoring threat in L1. I would hope that he would be used as a foil to Kashket or CMS. Kashket now looks crooked as well as Bayo so plan b time

• @glasshalffull said:
    The whole purpose of pre-season friendles is to improve fitness levels and experiment with different systems and different players...,

Sorry. I have to disagree. The only purpose of pre-season friendlies is to polish your rose-tinted spectacles or nurture your deep pessimism when it matters zilch in preparation for the imminent arrival of when it does.

• They all 'knew what they were going to get' last season...but we did alright. It's going to be fun, even if it means a bit more Trev.

• Nicely put Bookertease.

• Sure Tyson just pulled his hamstring.

• Let’s hope not!

• @Chris said:
    Let’s hope not!

Afraid it appears confirmed by GA in post match interview.

• So... Pre-season. That was fun. See you next year...

• Tyson recovered from a very bad injury early last term. Chins up everyone. Both of them in my case.

• So to conclude this thread, in what was a difficult pre season, who stood out? Would have liked this to be a longer list but for me:

• Freeman, does what he does consistently , glides beats his man crosses, needs someone to get on the end of it or pick out a man better but he creates chances, on these performances he would be my surprise starter.
    • Big Yves, got a lot more game time than anticipated, new keeper coach is making Arnold fight for his place, Yves’ performances mean he will be an able stand in if needed.
    • Saunders, fit with new hair, O9’s departure means our midfield depends on Sam to rule with skill not just Luke’s engine. Stay fit and that little bit more space in div1 could be all he needs?
    • Trialists, did Tomi ‘flatter to deceive ‘? Hope he turns out to be the real deal, the jury is out.
      And after that my friends sadly it all felt very average.
      Now the phoney war is over bring on Blackpool, here’s hoping by five o’clock Saturday we haven’t been tangoed.