Skip to content

Tisdale leaves Exeter

Comments

• Probably just me @StrongestTeam but I’m not clear in your post above who “doesn’t agree’.

• They've hardly reinvented the wheel at Exeter with his replacement have they?

• Are Exeter City supporters the most powerful fans in England?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44331219

• @Malone said:
    Gareth up to 2nd in the longest serving managers in the league then?

He must be close to being our longest serving manager ever. I’d guess Brian Lee is ahead of him. Anyone else?

• Brian Lee was manager for eight years from 1968 to 1976 I think but someone will no doubt be able to corroborate that and add months and days. GA must be surprisingly close but then time goes much more quickly nowadays!

• Brain Lee was appointed manager in December 1968, not sure of exact day, left at the end of June 1976. Sid Cann was appointed Coach on 7 July 1952, left July 1961.

• Being up the top of the longest serving managers is not necassarily a strong career positive.Tisdale is no further above numerous candidates for a higher league job due to his tenure and in fact is viewed as Exeter’s manager having shown little elsewhere.

Macclesfield and other conference managers have shown to be more attractive.

This season , if Gareth stays with us , is a potential career killer. Even a mid table finish will see gaz pigeon holed as a long term league 2 manager who knows his club and players well but hasn’t demonstrated anything outside of his comfort zone.

The club might be happy with a top half finish this season but Gareth can’t afford that.

• Rubbish.

• Double rubbish

• Yeah that’s nonsense. If Gareth keeps us up next season it’s another great addition to his CV.

• Come on everyone we were a crap team with poor quality signings and a terrible manager who were lucky to be promoted. If Gareth keeps us up next year he might as well just give up football as a career. If anyone thinks otherwise they've not been listening to the realists.

• @Wendoverman I think autocorrect must have changed your end word. Surely you meant real tits.

• Even winning L1 would end his career. I think he needs to cure a terminal illness also, to have any chance of a job like Blackburn.

• Gaz needs to go somewhere else and turn them around, or take us to the LG 1 play offs. Anything else and he becomes less attractive. I’m sorry if that warrants ridicule on this forum, but football doesn’t do “safe” we’ll and doesn’t covet “safe” in making appointments. Safe career moves don’t deliver plaudits either . I’m not saying I agree with it, but that’s how it is.

Gaz risks being “safe” and a good fit for Wycombe but bit attractive to other club chairs.

• Joking apart, I can see that point of argument, @marlowchair - I just think it is a little like saying Wagner at Huddersfield or Eddie Howe at Bournemouth are not going to create interest if they don't keep improving their league position each year. The mere fact of punching a division above your weight attracts notice. I just think the argument would have more merit if GA was keeping us steady in L2 - in L1, he has already achieved something significant in getting us there, and to me, keeping us there is another fantastic achievement. It may not put him on the radar of every single club (perhaps some want to see a history of how you spend money, which we don't have) - but I can see why clubs like Barnsley, who supposedly want to take a "Moneyball" approach to some degree, already appear to have a certain level of interest.

• edited June 2018

@marlowchair , that's not how it is at all.
    Now he's got that promotion, he's a much more attractive proposition, and keeping us up, dare we even dream of comfortably, will boost him further.

The Premier league completely discredits your view about football not doing "safe" moves. You only have to look at the guys like Moyes, Pardew, Hughes etc who repeatedly get sacked and walk into new jobs

• @marlowchair i’ve some sympathy for your view but i think it’s only a small part of the equation. As well as (presumably) developing a reputation for over-achieving on a small budget, creating a team ethic, showing loyalty, self-sacrifice, bringing on young loaners, etc (balanced a little by the ‘game management’, ‘dark arts’,etc we are renowned for) I am fairly sure he is gaining a well-deserved reputation in the game for being a genuine, honest, decent guy who does the club and himself proud.

Most of these will be attractive qualities to potential chairs and I don’t think gradually enhancing these here over the next 2 or 3 years will do him any long term harm at all.

• Some really good points made , maybe my concern is footballs fickleness and short memory . A poor year in league 1 is remembered as a poor year , not a good result after a promotion year .

I genuinely think gaz needs a strong league position finish or risk his stocks dropping significantly .

It’s good news for us , not bad news . He will be doing everything possible to hit top half

• From the betting it looks like Barnsley will choose an overseas manager whose only managerial experience resulted in him being sacked after less than a year. Obviously we cant tell whether Gareth was in the end overlooked or whether he declined.

Feels unlikely now that there will be any more clubs dispensing with their manager this summer, so it seems that Gareth will start the season as our manager. Great news for us. In terms of his future career, for me midtable may keep his star at roughly the same level as now, a relegation struggle will surely see it diminish, in the playoffs would mean GA will be gone by Christmas.

I really hope our supporters are a little more knowledgable and show a little more understanding than is the case at many clubs. Lose a few games and it doesn't make GA a bad manager who deserves to be "under pressure". He almost certainly will not have "lost the dressing room", nor will he be "Lg2 at best", nor will he have "lost interest" due to some perceived slight. Lg1 is just going to be bloody hard.

• “In the playoffs” would surely mean that he’s stayed beyond Christmas (assuming you mean Christmas 2018). Do you mean in one of the playoff positions @DevC ? And at what stage do you have in mind - mid August, late November .....,,?

• I suppose I meant after a reasonable period, Micra - say end of October.

• You meant in a playoff position then.

• All a bit sloppy.

• Thanks as ever for the feedback, Micra. Shouldn't there be a verb in your last sentence?

• micra is spelt with a small "m"!

• @DevC said:
    Thanks as ever for the feedback, Micra. Shouldn't there be a verb in your last sentence?

No.
    Thanks @mooneyman. I don’t know why @DevC (whoops, nearly put just Dev) cannot be bothered to use proper usernames unless his “device” is old and unserviceable (as has been rumoured).

• Really good post and summary although you spoke a little soon , let’s hioe Gareth isn’t fond of Doncaster !

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Brain Lee was appointed manager in December 1968, not sure of exact day, left at the end of June 1976. Sid Cann was appointed Coach on 7 July 1952, left July 1961.

The next flag has Cann, Lee, O'Neill and Ainsworth on it.

It is a sight to behold

• Would that not potentially upset fans of the Ecuadorian?

• Looks like Stendel will be announced as new Barnsley manager in next 24 hours or so, if reports are to be believed. Happy days!