Skip to content

transfer speculation....

Comments

• No chance that he was originally brought in as a number two, but every chance we were trying to bring in a loanee last summer to be first choice - which would have allowed Brown to go back to Cheltenham. But it all worked out OK in the end!

• All quite quiet on possible player signings, wonder who we are in for?

• edited June 2018

Brown's own comments that he'd have earned more by moving to Cheltenham smacks of him being a cheap option, potentially to be a "let's get someone in" facilitator, and try and get a loanee (free most likely) in as first choice.

The "low budget" has been talked to death, but you only have to look at the star players we have on our books to see that we can pay some decent money for some players. For a team like Cheltenham who rock between league 2 and non league, to be able to offer more suggests he's on some pretty low wages by the divisional standard. A team as lowly as Cheltenham surely wouldn't be offering their top end to a keeper, who if we're honest is at best mid league 2.

However, he was a good lad, did a decent job for us, especially the second half of the season, and I'm glad he's secured a 2 year deal closer to home, meaning we didn't necessarily have to do any "releasing" and are free to look for a stronger keeper that is needed for the higher league.

• There’s no way he’d have signed for us as a second choice keeper. He got injured in the first game and we had the chance to bring in Blackman (after the other loanee.) I’m not sure why there needs to be any more to it.

• So it was sheer opportunism that saw us bring a quality loanee in 2 games in, and play him for the rest of the season? Lucky us then!

• Yup.

• Double yup. If he hadn’t got that injury at the start of the season before last he would have played all season for us. And done a very decent job behind Stewart and Pierre.

I do think though that if Cheltenham hadn’t taken the piss last summer he would have been sold on (nominal fee) and the model we stumbled on (used by 2 or 3 teams at our level this season I believe) would have been replicated again the season just gone. As I expect it to be this coming season.

• Tafari Moore released by Arsenal

• Confirms what we knew in January but of course Arsene Wenger’s departure might conceivably have altered the situation. Given the embarrassment of riches at right back/right midfield, what are people’s views on the possibility of his being signed?

• If we can afford him why not. Could be a useful help if he developed and we were able to sell him on.

• I'd take him. Promising player with good potential for resale value. With Harriman rumoured to have been attracting bids last season and Sido maybe being used more as a CB, he would probably get reasonable game time, if not immediately then in the near future.

• edited June 2018

Exceptional first game, looked excellent. Tailed off from that, but still looked decent.

I'd be slightly concerned he didn't get much of a look in with Harriman back, and Sido despite his end of season central defence form, surely is still mainly a right back.
    Depends whether we're bringing in another centre back, meaning Sido would be more a full back cover than centre back cover, and also, like people say if there's budget available for a full back deputy

• With Moore looking so good going forward, I almost wonder if we could convert him into a utility player who can play midfield or wide, while also providing cover for Harriman. That might be a bit pie in the sky, but the pace on the boy is electric.

• Cazorla would give O’Nien, Saunders, Bloomfield and Gape a bit of competition in midfield if Bean doesn’t sign.

• Loads of kids available on loan or just been released from premier clubs. Better perhaps to concentrate on signing a left back or two rather than a third right back.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We are forgetting an aspect of Tafari which maybe not all have seen. I refer to his remarkable video after the Chesterfield game when he ran excitedly round pretty well the whole squad on the pitch and in the changing room whooping and hollering in celebration and greeting each player in turn. Clearly revelled in the situation and had thoroughly enjoyed his time at the club.

• Tafari seems much better going forward than defending. I'd like to see him play as a winger in front of Harriman or Sido.

• We need more depth in the squad and Moore gives that. When the injuries hit we wobbled and will again. Sido, Harriman and Moore covering 2 or 3 positions is a great position to be in.

• Ex Bristol Rovers defender and rumoured Wanderers target, Lee Brown signs for Pompey.

• Anyone else getting worried about JJ?

• JJ and Sido signed their extensions on August 4th so a while to go yet. From social media, he's been on holiday with the team, a wedding and now a personal holiday so I would think there's no need to worry until July.

• @niebieski said:
    JJ and Sido signed their extensions on August 4th so a while to go yet. From social media, he's been on holiday with the team, a wedding and now a personal holiday so I would think there's no need to worry until July.

If you are referring to the extensions that they signed a couple of years ago it should be noted that they were under contract for that upcoming season so there was no need to rush those new deals.

This situation is very different.

• I'm sure JJ will sign but if he doesn't...will we then decide we have no chance in League One now that ONE player has not signed. Will GA no longer know what he is doing? Oh my God noooooooooooooo. Or will we say...JJ signed again? That's a long contract for someone who will be found out in League One. His legs have gone, you know. I like to be ahead of the curve...

• Ideally he'll stay, as he is a big part of the way we play, but i suppose the time to really think it's unlikely is near 30th June when his contract officially expires.

• I hope Taf signs. League One is probably his level so promotion may have swung it in our favour as he definitely enjoyed his time with us. However I would be more interested in another name from Arsenal's list of released players... Marc Bola would be a great replacement for JJ if he decides to move on.

• Tafari Moore would be a great signing as he's an exciting player looking to get on...and if he shines...we'll make a few bob. I would welcome him back as long as GA lets him actually run with rather than just pass the ball inside when he gets it!

• Just looked at the new League One table...bottom on 0 points. I blame our lack of transfer activity. Weird how Accrington can be top on 0 points too, though.

• Well spotted Shev! How has this been allowed to happen?

• @Sherrinford said:
    Marc Bola would be a great replacement for JJ if he decides to move on.

Especially if he rides a white swan into Adams Park.