Skip to content

Anyone still in favour of var?

Comments

• The worst thing about VAR (and there are plenty of bad things for me) is the prolonged appealing by the players and the use of the TV gesture by them. If it were me I would send off any player appealing a decision three seconds after it has been made.
    Awful system with so many awful knock on consequences.

• That TV gesture is awful. Bet Lionel Blair wishes he’d got intellectual copyright sorted.

• Can we use VAR to give Pepe a retrospective life ban?

• I disagree with Dev on lots of things, but this is just wrong. His last post was perfectly reasonable, uncontroversial, and very well explained. Why downvote then gang up on him?

• VAR done good here.

• Brazil v CR

• A great plus for VAR today in the Croatia-Brazil game. Neymar would have simulated himself a penalty had it not been for VAR. IMHO he should have been given a yellow card having seen that, ho hum

• VAR is a great addition. A few flaws to iron out, but a necessesity which has overturned the vast majority of poor decisions

• Did the challenge on Mitrovic tonight fall under the previously well explained unwritten freeforall policy?

Penalties awarded incorrectly due to VAR still leading penalties awarded incorrectly but overturned due to VAR.

• Anyone watching Portugal v Iran? VAR shambles. Turning football into pantomime.

• @arnos_grove It's a good job VAR was on hand to clarify any uncertainty in giving crucial decisions.

• Reckon that ref will be going home.

• Peak VAR. Hope you’re enjoying it @DevC and @WanderingDays.

• It took a lot to overturn my support of Iran today, but their endless whining and appeals for VAR managed it. Shambles, but even more so that they got a penalty out of it.

• Just ditch it now

Fair enough, they gave it a go

It is unspeakably bad

• Just utter sh1te, from conception to date. Time to abort the whole bloody process. Wont happen because there is bound to be a group of "anonymous" at FIFA trousering a whole loads of lucra.

• VAR looks a shambles from tonight, but lets be honest:

• Ronaldo penalty decision was correct
    • Spain's goal was correctly awarded
    • Iran's penalty was more due to refereeing error than VAR. As Shearer said, he must have been blind to think it was a penalty

I can definitely see that VAR bringing it to his attention almost obligates the referee to make a decision, and that is my major criticism. The system must be refined, and shouldn't have been used experimentally on the biggest stage of all, but it is definitely a force for good. It has led to far more correct decisions throughout the tournament than would have been made otherwise.

• Not only does VAR give the ref a second chance to get a decision right, it also gives them a second chance to get it wrong!

• Even VAR’s biggest fans say “it’s not quite ready”, or “needs refining”. This is the World Cup. The World fucking Cup. If It’s not ready, don’t put it on the biggest stage in the world.

“Mr Varfan, do you think your five year old son is ready for tonight’s world heavyweight championship fight?”

“Well, he does need refining and some tweaks here and there but I have full confidence that I’m making the right decision here.”

• I kid you not. New ball has an embedded chip so that smartphone users can interact with it.

I am not sure quite how to start a conversation with a ball???

Enjoy the game ball?
    Owww.
    Are.you Ok?
    Owwwwwww

• Love it. The world gets madder by the second.

• Will the ball rate the players for the BBC and take ray winstones betting advice?

• In fact Devon Sea according to FIFA's website the NFC chip is present in both the Telstar 18, used in the group stages, and Telstar Mechta ball to be used in the knockout stages. The difference in design is the colour of the infill panels.
    Truly ridiculous.

• Zee Var is gud, Ya!

• Anyone not now at this moment in favour of VAR.................

• Herrlich!

• No, but I'm glad I watched these last 10 minutes

• Should have used VAR to allow Croatia to retake their ET penalty; 'keeperl clearly well off his line when ball was kicked.

• edited July 2018

The Croatia goalie was off his line for all his saves in the penalty shoot-out.

• Absolutely @Uncle_T . And there were several others yesterday.