Skip to content

Anyone still in favour of var?

Comments

• Very pleased to hear that Premier League clubs have just voted against the introduction of VAR in the PL next season.
    (Like the two dozen banjos in the Grand Union canal. - a start.

• Whoops. Not like me to omit a bracket. Short term memory.

• Yes...looks like World War III, violent racist local fans and VAR might make the 2018 World Cup historic on many levels.

• excellent news that

• Fully understand the PL decision. If there was nothing for pundits to examine and nothing for interviewers to wind managers up with after a match...what would be the point?

• Check out what happened in tonight's Bundesliga match between Mainz and Freiburg.

In brief, ref blew for half time and everybody walked off down the tunnel. Ref gets a message in his ear and brings everyone back out for a penalty.

Then for unrelated reasons half a rain-forest in toilet roll is launched onto the pitch

• Here’s another VAR story:

“Unbelievable scenes in the Bundesliga game between Mainz and Freiburg this evening. Mainz are awarded a penalty courtesy of a VAR decision on handball. Only problem was that the half-time whistle had already gone and most of the players were back in the changing room. They are called back out on to the pitch and Pablo de Blasis, after waiting for the Freiburg keeper to arrive, scored from the spot.”

Got to love it...

• First time I've been in favour of it

• I thought for a moment strange goings on had occurred at two Bundesliga matches.

• VAR update: still absolutely shit. Worst thing to be introduced to football in years

• @eric_plant said:
    VAR update: still absolutely shit. Worst thing to be introduced to football in years

Agreed The Aussie clearly touched the ball first so no foul.

• Touched the ball first, and the French guy was never getting onto it anyway.
    Dreadful that that was after watching videos of it

• Utter shit.

• Whether it was a penalty or not is not the point

• It did rectify the clear and obvious mistake in the Peru game, though.

• Disagree. Didn't need VAR to give that. Was an obvious penalty

• If the ref didn't see that he shouldn't be reffing

I suspect he chose not to give it just in case he'd got it wrong. Without VAR he'd have just given it

• @strongestteam, surely it actually reduces all that, as the ability to con goes out the window

• What @eric_plant said. Also, if the ref has given that penalty immediately he may we’ll have ticked it away. Who can say what effect that massive delay had on the taker?

In short, fuck var.

• A mistake was made. VAR rectified it. Get over yourselves.

• Intent isn’t relevant for many decisions is it?

• Just for the record, I'm not in favour of VAR. I was just stating a fact.

• As Eric and the Doctor have noted, VAR just means the on pitch referee will stop giving decisions.

You see this in cricket all the time - run out decisions where everyone can see the batsman is in by at least 5 metres get referred upstairs. From the official's point of view why take the chance?

Just about OK in a game as laid-back as cricket - terrible in football.

• Spot on, referees already seem to be over-relying on it to make decisions for them. Hideous to watch. Thank God we watch a level of football too skint to implement this system.

• Linesmen have actually been instructed not to flag for tight offsides

Just get rid of it, and everyone who gets hissy about wrong decisions will just have to grow up a bit

• Better for my fitness and prostrate though.

Currently: Ball in net. 0.3 seconds I jump up and down. 0.8 seconds I stop and look towards linesman. 1.1 seconds I look to the side where the linesman actually is. 1.5 seconds I see linesman without flag up and jump up and down a lot more.

Future: As above up until 1.5 seconds (its too ingrained now for me not to) but then at 1.8 seconds, stop. 2.0 seconds rush to loo. 73.4 seconds get back to seat. 78.7 seconds goal awarded and jump up and down again.

• Take it easy @bookertease. You’ll be prostrate long enough.

• Pretty sure the ref just had to stop this game to tell a couple of players to stop complaining about things they're seeing on big-screen replays and listen to him.

This is the world that VAR has created.

• And linesmen doing nothing at all unless someone is really really offside.