Skip to content

Match day thread: Crawley

124»

Comments

• It is remarkable, which is exactly what i said

The first 15 minutes every time we had the ball we recycled it to Sido who hit it long for Bayo. Even to the extent that GA was telling him to take an extra touch or two.

My comments weren't even meant as a criticism or complaint, just the sort of thing you'd turn and say to your friend stood on the terrace next to you. Isn't that what the matchday thread is for? And no i wasn't there, i had a much better view of proceedings from the iFollow camera than you would have had behind the goal...

I understand your role on here, but don't even you tire of it sometimes?

• @BallroomBill said:
    Interesting highlights. Check the tape from 1'45". Is O'Nien being given a gentle nudge or two on the ground by a Crawley boot?

They committed more fouls than us, had one man sent off and could/should have had a second red card. They were also very aggressive towards 09 after he was injured. In addition, we had twice as many shots as they had and three times more shots on target. However, if you read the comments by Kewell, some of their fans and even some of ours, you’d think that we were the villains and were fortunate to win.
    Possession means absolutely nothing, it’s what you do with it that counts. Crawley tried to play like Manchester City but with League Two players.

• Right, whoever fouled 09 at the end of the first half easily have seen red.

The ref was so poor you knew that the game had one more bad challenge left in it. 09 was lucky to come away without a broken ankle after Connolly's 'tackle.'

• @floyd said:
    I understand your role on here, but don't even you tire of it sometimes?

Not sure what you mean by that last comment but the match statistics prove that we were superior in every respect other than possession so I don’t see how it’s remarkable that we scored 3 goals and created s host of chances. Not sure either that one camera coverage can be compared to being at the game.

• On the highlights i've just noticed JJ run over to give Sido a right mouthful after his dreadful error which shows the passion this team has, i'm sure it was all fine after F/T though and Ainsworth said he had a word with Sido after as well.

• @glasshalffull To be fair, an unobstructed, side-on view of the action from any sort of vantage point would probably be better than the view behind the goal in that shallow terrace.

• @glasshalffull You know exactly what i mean by my last comment, but it's ok.

For the last time, our third goal, in the heat of the moment, struck me as 'remarkable,' because we'd seen so little of the ball in the second half. this was not an attack on Gareth Ainsworth, Wycombe Wanderers, Dave Carroll, Martin O'Neil, Frank Adams or the chair making industry.

DOL.

• I didn't go last night - kudos to those that did. But from watching the highlights, i though Connelly's abuse of O'Nien after he's received his red - he had to be restrained by a steward - was absolutely disgraceful. For those more familiar with the arcana of the FA's disciplinary procedures than me, is there any chance they'd take any action on this?

• @Username , yep it's a pretty obvious concept. But some will argue black is white!

Of course we could lose and still go up, but this is why someone said it could be, that's "could be" season defining, and not a "guarantee" or something definitive.

If we can increase our lead over County, or at least over the 4th place team once we've played them, we'll be in an absolutely glorious position.

But we'll keep calm for now.

8 games left, 3 point gap. That is excellent, although it is hard not to look at that 1 point from 3 home game spell recently without regrets!
    And even more down the "coulda woulda shoulda" pointless school of thought, imagining putting Blackman and Pierre into this lineup!

• In reality at the moment it's only a 2 point gap...one of the reasons why beating County would be brilliant is that (unlike the "6-pointer" cliche) there is a genuine double-counting of the goal difference effect.

• And of course why losing to them would be a particularly bad thing.

• @floyd why do you hate Wycombe so much ;_)