Skip to content

Match day thread: Crawley

Comments

• Mr Passive-Aggressive strikes again.

• ‘They had a lot of possession, (deep in our half,).’ Exactly my point pal.

You could just enjoy a great win without trolling the Gasroom at quarter to midnight.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    A great away day. Noise for almost 90 minutes from strong travelling support and a good showing on the pitch.

Crawley looked a good side in possession but 2 goals flattered their end product.

It would be nice to manage games out more effectively rather than shitting bricks every week for the last 5 minutes. Getting Stewart back would be a huge help in that respect but the centre backs had good games. We were so good at it in the play off season...

Couldn’t see much of the red card through the goal netting but the stewards had to pile in. Luke apparently in classic wind up merchant mode.

County game is going to be season defining.

Why will Notts County be season defining? If we lose that one but win the other seven we’ll be promoted.

• Good atmosphere behind the goal and a crucial three points.

I thought the high press was excellent. We had clearly done our homework and knew they wanted to play out from the back and get the ball wide. Tys, Bloomfield and even Bayo (!!) making life difficult for Crawley to get out.

When Crawly did break I thought they looked dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do well next season. Although they could do with someone to hit in the middle - for all the good build up there wasn't really the option of a hold-up man in the middle.

Onien and Gape were exceptional tracking across to help JJ and Moore, who both had a difficult night against skillfull wingers.

If we could cut the defensive errors we would be unstoppable. Nonetheless, a gutsy win - COYB!

• An excellent hard fought win. We have a real chance to give us some breathing space on Saturday afternoon.

I would imagine we would revert to 433 against Vale. Bean to drop out?

• @HCblue said:
    Mr Passive-Aggressive strikes again.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that I have to ask your permission before I am allowed to post. What on earth was offensive or aggressive about what I wrote?

• @OxfordBlue or the accrington game? And only a few points behind Richie's boys. That must be gutting for Mr Jones. Hopefully a Barnet bounce will upset him even more. Another bad night for the ainsworth is no good/tactically inept crowd, bless 'em.

• @floyd said:
    ‘They had a lot of possession, (deep in our half,).’ Exactly my point pal.

You could just enjoy a great win without trolling the Gasroom at quarter to midnight.

Believe me I most certainly did enjoy it, arguably more than you did judging by your first couple of posts.
    As I said, they had a lot of possession but they only scored because of two individual errors. Can’t remember Brown having to make too many saves.
    Why are your opinions valid but when I respond you accuse me of trolling? And what has the time got to do with it?

• As well as we are playing, particularly away, it is a bit concerning that whenever an opposing team shoots on target they tend to score

Brown again at fault for their first tonight

I just really hope it isn't going to cost us as I am desperate for this squad to achieve promotion to L1

• @floyd said:
    ‘They had a lot of possession, (deep in our half,).’ Exactly my point pal.

Zing!

Superb stuff from across the pond

• Across the pond? Forgive my ignorance as a relative newcomer to this chat room but are you saying that @Floyd doesn’t live in the UK?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Why will Notts County be season defining? If we lose that one but win the other seven we’ll be promoted.

Thanks for doing the sums there Rachel Riley, I hadn’t realised that.

• Clearly you hadn’t as you identified one of our eight remaining games as season defining.

• Have you considered that some results could have a huge impact in terms of team morale for both us and sides around us? And that we simply aren't going to win every game, so its important to win ones that take points off the teams around us?

Losing a 6 pointer against Notts County vs winning it could define the subsequent run in.

It's sad explaining this to someone.

• Equally sad having to explain that we will have six games to play after Notts County (including Accrington) with 18 points at stake and with things so tight in the top half of the table it’s impossible for this game to define our entire season. That’s all I said.

• edited March 2018

@glasshalffull , I know your whole MO on here is negativity (hence the username!), and arguing for no reason, but surely, if you have even a smidgen of football knowledge, you'd understand that as we're 3rd. and Notts County are 4th, that with so few games left, and it being so tight, that a "6 pointer" against them is a huge game, and thus, "season defining".

• I wouldn’t describe any game as more important than others at this stage. They all are.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Why are your opinions valid but when I respond you accuse me of trolling? And what has the time got to do with it?

I just think it’s sad that your first reaction to a great win was to come on the Gasroom and find someone to disagree with. Especially since all you did was make my point again.

• @Midlander said:
    I wouldn’t describe any game as more important than others at this stage. They all are.

Agreed and that’s all I was trying to say.

• Just for the record, mathematically if we lose against notts county and win the other seven, we could finish as low as sixth (unless NC, Exeter and Mansfield still have to play each other).

otherwise enjoy a very good result last night and just take one game at a time going forward?

• @floyd said:
    I just think it’s sad that your first reaction to a great win was to come on the Gasroom and find someone to disagree with. Especially since all you did was make my point again.

I did not make your point again and > @floyd said:

I was referring to your in game remarks that ‘the midfield has had the ball as much as I have’ and in the second half ‘we haven’t had the ball’. Remarkable then that we scored 3 goals and had numerous other chances.
    I was at the game, I don’t think you were.

• @Midlander said:
    I wouldn’t describe any game as more important than others at this stage. They all are.

Spot on.

• @Malone said:
    glasshalffull , I know your whole MO on here is negativity (hence the username!), and arguing for no reason, but surely, if you have even a smidgen of football knowledge, you'd understand that as we're 3rd. and Notts County are 4th, that with so few games left, and it being so tight, that a "6 pointer" against them is a huge game, and thus, "season defining".

Apologies, I bow to your superior knowledge because I didn’t realise that the FL had deemed the Notts County game a special case with 6 points at stake rather than 3.
    It will not define our season because there are 3 automatic places up for grabs and 6 games to play after that so we could lose to County and still get promoted.

• edited March 2018

Oh and in response to eric's question, assuming a price of 25-1 on Wyc winning a game 3-2 (current bet365 odds for Port vale game), assuming a £5 stake per league match, you would have lost 31 times (£155) but won 7times (5725 = £875), recording a profit of £720.

• I was at the game. We were direct. Crawley moved the ball delightfully from side to side in a way that needed an excellent workrate from the midfield and intense concentration from the back four, which we, happily, provided on the whole.

@floyd's remarks were entirely in line with my own observations as well as being clearly lighthearted and undeserving of an acerbic response.

• edited March 2018

And I believe @floyd was watching the game on iFollow, and thus has equal rights in sharing his opinion.

• For the couple of usual suspects trying to be argumentative and say that the county game is the same as others, even ignoring the obvious morale effects, mathematically they're also wrong. Yes, we can only get 3 points for a win, which is the same in all 8 games, but the fact we can deny County/ Accy three points is also huge seeing as they're our direct rivals.

• @HCblue said:
    I was at the game. We were direct. Crawley moved the ball delightfully from side to side in a way that needed an excellent workrate from the midfield and intense concentration from the back four, which we, happily, provided on the whole.

floyd's remarks were entirely in line with my own observations as well as being clearly lighthearted and undeserving of an acerbic response.

You really need to read what I said and what he said before making accusations in your usual pompous fashion.

• Interesting highlights. Check the tape from 1'45". Is O'Nien being given a gentle nudge or two on the ground by a Crawley boot?

• I think he was helping him up @BallroomBill (c: H.Kewell)