Skip to content

Barnsley approach for GA

Comments

• Charlton Cardiff Chelsea Coventry and I assume a very early winner but I doubt that you mean Old Carthusians

• no not them 4/5

• Many a time knowing Clapham Rovers has got me out of a tricky situation. Bank it

• Corinthian Casuals

• To anyone who thinks that GA exaggerates the financial restraints under which he has to operate, I recommend reading a post on the fans FB page by James Webb who says he has some inside knowledge as an employee of the League Managers Association.

• Yes, I saw that (and the usual, mainly ridiculous, suggestions for replacements).
    I feel sure GA will see his contract out.

• Martin Allen? Graham Westley? Lots of League Two experience there.

• I’ve reread the FB posts. I’m not sure what possessed me to imply that there were several suggestions for replacements. There is only one at the time of writing. But a highly unlikely one. I’m sure more will follow.

• @glasshalffull said:
    To anyone who thinks that GA exaggerates the financial restraints under which he has to operate, I recommend reading a post on the fans FB page by James Webb who says he has some inside knowledge as an employee of the League Managers Association.

For those of us who are unwilling/unable to delve into the weird and possibly wonderful world of Facebook, any enlightenment you can add here?

• I you knew what I know, you wouldn't ever visit page on Facebook or let any other website load their tracking scripts. And you definitely would not have an account.

• edited February 2018

I'll check FB, but clearly noone is going to be stupid enough to post under their real name, state their employer, and reveal "inside knowledge"

EDIT - read the post, the guy has "heard" it's "quite tough" for Gaz.
    Blimey, hold the front page! Anyone who has any semblance of reason would have suspected that anyway!

• My opinion for what it is worth is that Gaz is probably grateful at the interest, not that bothered about going to Barnsley at present, but does not want to ruin future interest or appear to be problematic, so asks AH to go out and tell people 'hands off.'

• @eric_plant can you imagine the reaction of some of the GA haters if he went and they appointed one of those clowns??

• I can imagine my own reaction, that's for sure

• How many Ainsworth haters are there?? Apart from the one obvious vocal example no-one can really hate the man and what he has done can they?

The thought of any of the names mentioned above being linked to our club is a truly frightening thought.

• @Right_in_the_Middle it's all gone a bit quiet this term, tis true as they've had to bite their tongues.

• I left the comment on Facebook. To iterate my FB comment, I work with the LMA and not for the organisation. Lucky enough to chat with managers past and present in an informal setting and I nearly always turn conversations onto Wycombe. I always receive very positive comments about our club and manager.

As @Malone mentions, my post didn't contain anything revelatory - I don't have much insight other than a couple of anecdotes.

I normally don't post on any social media channels/forums. But my bored and slightly hungover self-talk on the commute this morning was wondering that whatever the outcome of this season, I sense the Ainsworth era at Wycombe might be drawing to a close over the next few months. Hope not and I'm convinced he'll lead this squad to glory this season.

• No doubt...if we go up and there is a decent offer, I'm sure GA will believe he has done enough for us. After all, League One is more or less another season in League Two with the same resources. Hopefully, he will believe this squad has another promotion in it and stay though!

• If we go up I think it is certain that Gareth will leave. He will have achieved what he set out to do and staying any longer would be detrimental to his future career. Division 1 will be much tougher but he would not be given any significant increase in the wage budget to compete on a level footing with the rest.

• @mooneyman Snap! Although I do think, the best first eleven, even aged as they are, all fit, could do a job in League One. I reckon GA/Dobbo's forward planning is to be applauded.

• If he gets us promoted and goes in the summer, no-one could complain at all.

For Gareth, he'd need to strike while his stock was at top value, as if we did struggle, he'd look a way less attractive manager near the bottom of league 1, than promoted from the top of league 2.

With Baz going, Howard taking a back seat, and a lot of vet players, he might see it as mission complete.

@wendoverman, there's still been plenty of negatives on the fb group, ranging from the absurd "it's been terrible most of the season", to complaints over style of play, to our record v the top 7 (before Luton and Swindon).
    While it's good to have high standards, some of it is ludicrous.

The most irritating stuff was when people kept on about the 5 year plan, as if you can possibly guarantee on field performance in a competitive sport in the same way you can measure targets in other businesses.

There was a guy surname Brown, who kept on about this, as a "business owner".
    Hasn't been seen on there for a while...

• Isn't Gareth the 3rd longest serving manager in English professional football? Can we dream that he would like to be moved up to No: 2 as Wenger possibly has 15 months or less.
    Improbable I know, but possible that he could be a southern Dario Gradi.

• Tisdale and Bentley are longer serving than GA

• Tisdale having been at Exeter for 11 years, 6 years longer than GA has been here

• I had already counted Tisdale. Bentley I hadn't.

• Bentley seemed to waver a little in the summer, I thought Gareth could have moved up one then.

A guy at work reckons Wenger signed a 2 year deal to allow an easier search for a manager for a year now, then he moves upstairs.
    We'll see on that!

• Hasn't Neil Ardley been at AFC longer?