Skip to content

VAR

Comments

• edited October 2023

So VAR cannot intervene the Jota sending off because only the first booking was incorrect

VAR can’t intervene for second yellows either.

But in the Forest vs Brentford game at the weekend it is allowed to intervene for a ‘suspected straight red’ by Niakhate, even though it only ended up being worthy of a second yellow. Technically, VAR wouldn’t normally be allowed to intervene here for a softer second yellow card. It was only because they thought it might have been a straight red

What a bizarre set of permutations for VAR’s use.

Then you’ve got all of the offside disallowed goal drama and Curtis Jones’s red card. These are all examples from only two games this weekend.

VAR is a scourge and a total killjoy to top flight football.

• The fact that red cards from a second yellow can't be rescinded is an a complete and utter piss-take.

• A way to get around the VAR interference would be for the officials to ask for help from VAR themselves. They are all miked up on their closed loop system so if they is a tight call or a challenge that they need help on, then they should ask for it. That way, the game can flow but the referee has to be able to accept that they might have missed something and seek clarification. The same for the Assistants, if they want an offside checking, they also need to ask for VAR involvement.

I don't believe VAR should be interrupting the game like its doing. The Goal-line technology doesn't interrupt, its purely on the referee's wrist and (more importantly) an instant decision.

• I think this is because of the Amateur game. If yellows were able to be contested, then the County FA's would be overrun. I agree that some that have resulted in reds have been difficult to take and do appear to be harsh on players and teams. (Steve Brown's Red against Leicester FA Quarter-Final a prime example)

However, on the other side of the argument is that the player has had is "warning" or "life". If they have decided to put them in another position or situation, then they need to accept the consequences. You then also open the door down the line for players to appeal against their 5th or 10th yellows to stop a suspension.

• Both of Steve Brown's yellow cards at Filbert St were legitimate yellow card offences

• Did you see that Wissa Brentford incident?

Nips the ball past the keeper, keeper smashes him, and the VAR officials don't think it's a penalty.

Not sure if Wissa's instant leap back up made the VAR officials think it was a coming together, but that was another remarkable incident from the weekend.

• You can't possibly mean the one where someone's studded someone high up above the ankle, so must be Jota.

Jota had got away with a cynical pull back a few mins before his first yellow, which was a bit inconclusive if he'd tripped the man or not. But the 2nd was banged to rights.

Between the 3 incidents, there was plenty for a red.

• I can see both sides to the Jones red - but it is one by the letter of the law.

• I didn't - even I wasn't sad enough to watch that game 😉

• edited October 2023

VAR is an absolute Shite fest and should be scrapped with immediate effect. As someone mentioned earlier, there will be wrong decisions that go against and for any team without it. It fuels the tribal effect of the wronged, IE: Ainsworths' handball goal v Shrewsbury or our goal that got disallowed for offside at home, (v Northampton I think), sparks endless debates on forums throughout the land. It is what it is, but with VAR, the "stall" in celebrations of fans and players alike, makes the whole experience very plastic and to think they pay a fortune to watch that? Not for me, I like the celebration instantly, such as the penalty v Carlisle, rather than waiting until a mystery watcher analyses every angle until he/she can find a reason not to give it or otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

• It's a red. Precedent has been set before with a player's foot bouncing off the top of the ball and into a player's shin. It might not be intentional, that might not be where they wanted their foot to land, but it did and they were not in control.

• Yes, we had someone sent off for a similar incident, when his foot rolled over the top of the ball and ended studs up - I want to say Josh Knight against Luton? It does not feel good when you are the team losing a man, but it's not like it is unprecedented.

• The only amusing thing about VAR is how fans of every big six club think they are uniquely being victimized, and all of the other five are part of the grand conspiracy.

• edited October 2023

That's almost a reason to keep it imo. Armchair big 6 fans are a stain on the game.

• The transcript has been released and, well, fuck Liverpool v Spurs VAR: PGMOL release controversial audio of Luis Diaz's disallowed goal - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66998252

• "Well done boys. Good process"

• All I can say is I'm glad they're not air traffic controllers

• It is a thankless job, too. I sometimes try to imagine doing high pressured parts of my job while a crowd forms around me, hurling abuse in my face every time I make a typo.

• So exactly as I said. There is no clear protocol.

What's the question?

What's the answer?

What, therefore, is the correct decision?

F**king amateur hour with whoever wrote the protocol.

• "Nothing we can do" several times rather than any questions asked. More than a bit of "we got away with one, let's hope nobody notices"

I get your point @Shev but there are lots of pressurised public jobs, few get it wrong so often, maybe government spokesmen.

• Quite, but you are the gasroom's biggest patrollee of rage on twitter, so am surprised you didn't encounter it there.

• I may be getting on, but I'm not old enough to own an armchair!

• Ed_Ed_
    edited October 2023

Are you talking about VAR or the ref now? VAR is a triumvirate of officials on a cushy little earner hidden away from the public gaze. I imagine they are not necessarily trying to get it wrong but there are times when they are all simultaneously taking it easy in the mistaken belief that one of their other two colleagues is on the ball. The ref on the other hand has to act on the presumption that due process has happened in the full gaze of your crowd, but it's hardly his typo.

• I find a lot of the very marginal offside decisions irritating as there is often no way there is any advantage but the fact that often the big clubs get the rub of the green against smaller clubs means VAR has made little difference to results, the reputation of the officials or the outrage of fans and pundits. Which was the whole point of it.

• It's hilarious that they use terminology like "check complete" rather than much, much more sensible words confirming the decision like "offside", "not offside", "goal", "No goal" etc.

You sort of wonder how they've not had an almighty misunderstanding already.

• Anyway Klopp is calling for a replay. And if he is unhappy I am happy.

• I love Klopp, but he does make himself look like a bit of a tit sometimes.

• edited October 2023

If cameras at the athletics can stay in line with the 100m sprinters or hawkeye can track balls travelling at over 100mph in tennis then I would argue we have the technology that would allow a camera to always be in line with the last defender & triangulate the balls position etc.

Perhaps the decision process is the problem but that is solvable it just needs rules that are much more clear cut & sensible questions (like in RU) from the on-field official to the VAR official, perhaps coupled with "soft" signals like they use in RL or cricket. Things like the handball rule are positively labyrinthine & make every decision a minefield.