Skip to content

Incoming Midfielder....Curtis Thompson From Notts County for the rest of the season

13»

Comments

• Well, @micra, I recall Sanchez saying something like he wouldn't bring anyone into the club unless they were better than those players being replaced.

Hence when Gasroom experts ran the rule over new players, real or rumoured, they would often instantly dismiss them with the view that they were "No Better Than We've Already Got".

• I believe he labelled Fitz Hall, then of Chesham, as "no better than we've already got"

• Gotcha! I remember @EddieMonsoon explaining the acronym to me on the original Gasroom (still operating as a valuable source of information ancient and modern of course, along with COTN) but the grey matter has atrophied somewhat in the meantime!
    Again, I don’t recall Lawrie Sanchez saying that about Fitz Hall @eric_plant but I can well believe it. Fitz didn’t do too badly though. 6’4” throughout his career (@Malone); known as a result as “one size Fitz Hall”.

• We have to assume that GA looking at promotion or play-offs would not sign a player who was crap or disruptive.

• I may be making this up, but I seem to remember that County's side were all about 6 ft 8. Might it be that the reason that Thompson dropped down the pecking order there had more to do with his stature than his ability?

Height doesn't seem to be such a big deal for Gareth, so he may well fancy Thompson more than Nolan would.

• @micra, you're not doing the referencing correctly son. Adding brackets doesn't flag it as a reference. I only saw it by accident. Come on son.

Everyone knows that despite Fitz Hall being on our door step, we actually missed out due to Dowie's brother managing them! Just a slight bit of inside knowledge.

• @Malone I thought Bob Dowie gave us first dibs and only turned to his brother when we said no thanks?

• That's how I remember it

• That makes it much more of a screw up then!

• Because of your insinuation in the past @Malone that I was obsessed with players’ height I usually draw your attention, incorrectly or not, to any reference I make to that statistic.

I was interested to note - see @OakwoodExile’s post above - that I am not alone in wondering whether Curtis Thompson’s stature may have been the reason why he fell out of favour at Meadow Lane.

• You need to carefully read this Micra to avoid being labelled as a heightist!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

• Very good @mooneyman but perhaps your post should be addressed to Kevin Nolan! Interesting that you are sufficiently engaged to do a bit of delving.

• Can't believe David Gipp is 5ft 7. In my head he was around the 5ft 2 mark

• @micra, i had picked that up son!
    I was saying, you're doing the referencing wrong, ie the @ link.

@micra works (@micra) doesn't

• Looked tidy this evening, worked hard and did his job very effectively

• You are a card Malone and no mistake!
    I’ve not been called son since my father died in 1963 but I take it that you are using it in the sense of “Good idea, son” in the words of the late Max Bygraves, gawd rest ‘is soul!

• Thompson didn't have much chance to show what he can do last night, but he did show that has quickly got up to speed with the "game management" (a.k.a. delaying tactics) aspects of being a Wycombe player.

• Really? I think any professional player coming on at 3-2 down on 85 minutes would know what was required.

I thought he looked promising, willing to run beyond the strikers, and didn't hide in the tackle or when we had the ball.

• Wouldn't it be an irony if we finished above Notts County and he scored the goal on the last day that saw County into the play offs & us into the automatic spot?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Easy to see how we could wilt with Bean tiring and Gape back to right back, Looked neat and tidy and did his bit to help us cling on to three points defending and taking the ball down the other end, not a bad start at all.

Not surprising that Beano tires at the end of games with the amount of running he does. His work rate and closing down will be sorely missed next season, but hopefully Thompson will be able to step into Beano's shoes.

• Good to hear encouraging reactions to Curtis Thompson’s cameo performance last night.
    As I understand it, he has hardly played a match this season but appears to have been signed as cover for/possible successor to Marcus Bean. As such, I imagine he will make second half substitute appearances of increasing duration over the next few games and I look forward to seeing his all-action, no-nonsense tackling performances.

• @micra said:
    Good to hear encouraging reactions to Curtis Thompson’s cameo performance last night.
    As I understand it, he has hardly played a match this season but appears to have been signed as cover for/possible successor to Marcus Bean. As such, I imagine he will make second half substitute appearances of increasing duration over the next few games and I look forward to seeing his all-action, no-nonsense tackling performances.

If he is a Bean replacement he's definitely better on the ball!

• took an excellent corner that beat Luton keeper and defenders all ends up. If any of our players had just been loitering at the back post they'd have had a very easy goal

• He wins the ball cleanly too, often with almost surgical precision - see the scouts video referred to earlier in this thread - and his remarkably low card count is testimony to that. All good so far!