Skip to content

Incoming Midfielder....Curtis Thompson From Notts County for the rest of the season

Comments

• With Saunders and Bloomfield both quite old and quite injury prone a tenacious youngling will do us no harm. Five days to go to bite our 09 nails.

• Here's a scouting video, probably the one @micra was referring to above:

He appears not to be afraid to challenge for the ball; very right-footed.

• I love having O Nien here, but i have to agree with @EwanHoosaami there. The game v Preston just showed the absolute quality differential in touch and ability to be honest.
    He seems to love it here, so am sure he'd prefer to see this season out.

Could no doubt play league 1, although a lot of people seem to think it's an exceptional leap in quality.

• @floyd I’m not sure I get your conclusion. O’nien Is the complete midfielder, Thompson is a tough tackling defensive midfielder?

• Mooneyman, the point being that Gareth has been saying both Sido and El Abd are likely to feature in the squad on Tuesday. With that bit of information in mind, then WDH would be well down the peaking order. We also have Stewart on the way back and Harriman by the end of Feb, so getting back to strong options for CB and FB.
    So, it may be logical to let WDH go out on loan to get some football.

• I like Luke O'Nien but I'm not sure I'd describe him as "the complete midfielder" just yet

• Pecking not peaking. Not trying to start rumours!!

• @eric-plant I'm with you. And I think he will want to see out this season with promotion and play-offs still a possibility.

• That’s the one @Uncle_T . Thanks for that. He seems a bit more than a purely defensive midfielder. Plenty of potential there. One of the pictures on Wikipedia suggested that he might have (or have had) dreadlocks. We may be going for the record.

• @eric_plant probably a clumsy phrase. The point I was making is that O’Nien is comfortable with all aspects of a midfield role not just the defensive ones.

• Fair enough. He's certainly all action.

A bit more quality on the ball and he'd be a super player. Improving all the time though

• He's got the rolling about clutching his face for a free kick bit and the great shot from a distance bit covered.

• It's almost a bit of a waste having O Nien too deep at times.
    But I suppose this is countered right now by us having a goal hungry triple front 3

Bloomfield as the furthest forward of the midfielders is sometimes a headscratcher to me though, especially over O Nien.
    It'd be different if we were talking Gape or Bean, as Bloomfield would naturally be more forward minded than them.

• @Midlander He's an energetic, robust midfielder. It's a strange use of resources unless 09's leaving (or there's a serious injury we don't know about) , but i hope i'm wrong.

• I’m inclined to say we’ve just adjusted to having a small squad and are struggling to come around to the idea of having a normal roster of players.

Between O’Nien, Saunders, Gape, blooms and Bean I count 5 midfielders. In a team that plays three in the middle and routinely sacrifices one to fill in at the back, a bit of reinforcement shouldn’t come as that big a surprise.

The only odd thing to me is that County have allowed him to go to a club just behind them in the table.

• @floyd I don’t believe it is. I think he is just the player we need with defensive deficiencies in the side.

There is no chance O’Nien is leaving.

• With there being no chance any more to sign loan players outside of the transfer window, a club wanting to ensure they are fully covered for injuries and suspensions needs to carry a bigger squad. I think the fact that extra players are being signed now, seemingly as much to provide cover as to go straight into the starting line-up, is a positive sign that Wycombe are seriously looking for promotion this season and don't want to get caught short by a lack of fit players, as has been the case in the latter part of previous seasons.

• GA is clearly a fan of the moneyball process. Constantly digging out diamonds in the rough or discards to fit his needs. His current hit rate is pretty strong and clearly he sees something in Thomson to fit the squad either for this season or maybe next.

• Notts County fans seem to rate him judging by a few comments on their forum. Could end up being a very astute signing.

• Given it took Beano till pre season to decide to give it one more season we may be looking to replace his combative ‘skills’ for next season?

• My initial reactions are the same as many here, why are we signing someone who can't get a game at a promotion rival.

However, I would have to say that GA's transfer market record is pretty decent, and even if he's just signed as cover rather than an automatic first team choice, there's nothing wrong with that - especially if our season has a chance of running on as far as the playoffs (way too early to know obviously, but not too early to plan for it).

• Thompson may have fallen out with Nolan hence him not getting selected. They may be signing a better player so need to get another club to pay Thompson's wages. Or Thompson may be a disruptive player within County's squad. Who knows?

• I know videos like that are very selective but I like what I see there very much.

I guess the virtue of loanees is that, if you get promoted, you are not tied to them by contract the next season are thus free to rebuild your squad for the higher division.

I'm perfectly happy to take on a player from a promotion rival for three reasons. Firstly, based on his record, I trust Gareth to take on the right quality of player. Secondly, I can conceive that a player who wasn't producing the goods, for whatever reason, at the other club, may find improved form here, if only by dint of the change of scenery. Finally, so long as the guy is not a complete duffer, it seems logical to take a resource from an immediate rival and put it into your club when you can.

• @marlowchair said:
    With a strong record in finding midfielders I think we will have to trust Gaz on this one

@HCblue said:
    I know videos like that are very selective but I like what I see there very much.

I guess the virtue of loanees is that, if you get promoted, you are not tied to them by contract the next season are thus free to rebuild your squad for the higher division.

I'm perfectly happy to take on a player from a promotion rival for three reasons. Firstly, based on his record, I trust Gareth to take on the right quality of player. Secondly, I can conceive that a player who wasn't producing the goods, for whatever reason, at the other club, may find improved form here, if only by dint of the change of scenery. Finally, so long as the guy is not a complete duffer, it seems logical to take a resource from an immediate rival and put it into your club when you can.

I know we’ve had our disagreements HC Blue but that’s an excellent post and I agree with everything that you’ve written.

• edited January 2018

Thanks, @glasshalffull. Thinking about my post again, I suppose the logic of the third point fails if, by releasing themselves from all or part of the financial obligation to the player going out on loan, the rival has additional financial resources with which they then acquire another player that better meets their needs. Ho hum, need to keep working on my critical thinking.

Much more importantly, what are they saying about it on Facebook? :-)

• As you are no doubt well aware, you’re logic and the words of more than one syllable in your dissertation would be way beyond the comprehension of most of them!

• @glasshalffull said:
    As you are no doubt well aware, you’re logic and the words of more than one syllable in your dissertation would be way beyond the comprehension of most of them!

Please forgive predictive text......should have read your logic, of course.

• Gaz has a terrific record of signings overall, so will certainly trust him on this one. Not all signings need to be block busting key players either, so even if it's merely some sort of cover, then it can work on that level too.

We're certainly spoiled these days, compared to when we used to regularly raid Aldershot, a team in a division below us!

• I remember transfer expectations being set very high way back in the Sanchez era (I believe this is where the classic gasroom acronym NBTWAG came from). I agree that the importance of quality cover is not to be underestimated