Skip to content

An Evening with Peter Taylor

Comments

• @glasshalffull , Gorman only arrived late Nov 2004, and didn't have all of 2005/06, so hardly 2 seasons is it.
    Not to mention the season was completely derailed in Jan, when we were going excellently.

It was to everyone's credit that we held it together to even make the playoffs.

Taylor's reign is a mere footnote in our history. One of those "oh yeah, we got promoted under him, blimey" type things.
    More notable for putting together a group of felons, relatives and mates.

• By zero effort, I mean it was in our own hands to get promotion, but we didn’t even try to score a goal in that game. We just passed the ball around for 90 minutes and then waited to see if other results had gone our way. Truly awful stuff.

• @drcongo said:
    By zero effort, I mean it was in our own hands to get promotion, but we didn’t even try to score a goal in that game. We just passed the ball around for 90 minutes and then waited to see if other results had gone our way. Truly awful stuff.

I doubt I’ll ever see another promotion like it. Virtually the whole ground seemed irritated by it. We’ve watched some old shite over the years but that man served up some of the worst of it.

A few weeks ago I had some time to kill in Manchester and nipped into the national football museum. The young lad on the till was a Bradford fan and was unrivalled in his passionate hatred for Taylor. As you’d expect, his complaints were pretty familiar. And he couldn’t say Luke Oliver without laughing.

• I wonder what he thought about Tommy Doherty.

• @arnos_grove said:
    A few weeks ago I had some time to kill in Manchester and nipped into the national football museum. The young lad on the till was a Bradford fan and was unrivalled in his passionate hatred for Taylor. As you’d expect, his complaints were pretty familiar. And he couldn’t say Luke Oliver without laughing.

So you write off the preceding 9 months on the basis of one disappointing game? There can’t be many clubs where fans would be disappointed by a manager who won promotion but that’s Wycombe for you.

• @drcongo said:
    By zero effort, I mean it was in our own hands to get promotion, but we didn’t even try to score a goal in that game. We just passed the ball around for 90 minutes and then waited to see if other results had gone our way. Truly awful stuff.

Didn’t try to score? As I recall we actually took the lead. You slag off a manager because he didn’t achieve promotion in the style you desired in the final home game of the season? No wonder some Wycombe fans are so hard to please.

• @Malone said:
    glasshalffull , Gorman only arrived late Nov 2004, and didn't have all of 2005/06, so hardly 2 seasons is it.
    Not to mention the season was completely derailed in Jan, when we were going excellently.

It was to everyone's credit that we held it together to even make the playoffs.

Taylor's reign is a mere footnote in our history. One of those "oh yeah, we got promoted under him, blimey" type things.
    More notable for putting together a group of felons, relatives and mates.

You make winning promotion sound so easy...a mere footnote? Your dismissive comments re ‘a group of felons, relatives and mates’ are both inaccurate and disrespectful. Do you really think it’s that simple to achieve success over a 46 game season?

• It was dreadful, dull as dishwater football to watch. We barely stumbled across the line at the end of the season. The fact that so many Wycombe fans have negative feelings about a promotion season has to say something.

I'm all for results above style, and have supported Ainsworth on that basis. But Ainsworth has been competing with a small budget, unlike Taylor. And we might be direct but we aren't relentlessly negative in our approach the way we played under Taylor. It was just entirely unenjoyable to watch us grind out 1-0s even when we were winning games; once we started losing it became unbearable.

• Have to agree with the others here. Absolutely turgid football and the most underwhelming, anticlimactic promotion imaginable. Even the celebrations felt a bit muted.

In Taylor's defence, whilst he made some absolutely dreadful signings the following summer, I suspect the wrangling over Steve Hayes taking full control of the club may have impacted on our pre-season preparations.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Didn’t try to score? As I recall we actually took the lead. You slag off a manager because he didn’t achieve promotion in the style you desired in the final home game of the season? No wonder some Wycombe fans are so hard to please.

Your glass is clearly more than half full, and I'd love to know what it's half full of.

http://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-notts-co/18848

They took the lead after half an hour, we hadn't had a shot before that and only started shooting after we were losing. Once we'd equalised, we stopped shooting again. Except at our own foot.

• @glasshalffull it was dog poo. Have you a short memory. I can't remember many positive comments after it.

• Clearly my> @M3G said:

glasshalffull it was dog poo. Have you a short memory. I can't remember many positive comments after it.

I’m not bothered about one game in a season of 46.
    Fact is we won promotion and if that’s not good enough for some people so be it. Not many teams at our level are capable of winning and playing entertaining football every week. League Two is a marathon grind.

• @drcongo said:

I stand corrected on the sequence of scoring but that doesn’t affect my main point that we still went on to win promotion and that’s good enough for me.

• @glasshalffull I wasn't referring to one game !

• Fair enough, I respect your opinion but I will always take substance over style and I get more enjoyment out of a boring 1-0 win than an entertaining 5-4 defeat.

• I saw every home game and a few away that season and definitely remember it being both frustrating and turgid for the most part. A lot - and I mean a lot - of 0-0s, 1-0s and 0-1s throughout the season. And that final game was hugely underwhelming for a promotion match - waiting for 5 minutes and hoping that Bury didn't score another goal. The subsequent celebration and pitch invasion felt almost contrived - just keep smiling and clapping and pretend everything's wonderful.

Much of the blame for the following season's dismal failure must rest with Hayes basically holding the club to ransom but even so we were appalling - a series of more single goals defeats and bore draws punctuated by some absolute thrashings.

• @glasshalffull Please could you change your username to "eyeshalfblind"?

• @OakwoodExile said:
    glasshalffull Please could you change your username to "eyeshalfblind"?

Why the need to be abusive? What is it with some social media users that they can’t disagree with someone else’s opinions without feeling the need to insult them?
    Why is my view any less valid or worthy than yours?

• edited December 2017

It was a tedious grind but it was also a promotion...so both sides of the argument have right on their side. I've always thought League Two promotion was more likely to be a grind than not, ditto League One survival, but watching the team this season has been a delight and most of them would do as good a job in League One I would venture. Which is nice.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It was a tedious grind but it was also a promotion...so both sides of the argument have right on their side. I've always thought League Two promotion was more likely to be a grind than not, ditto League One survival, but watching the team this season has been a delight and most of them would do as good a job in League One I would venture. Which is nice.

A balanced view at last. I have never said that Taylor’s teams played scintillating football but I do believe that he deserves some respect for guiding us to promotion, an achievement managed by only a handful of managers since we entered the FL. And I totally agree with you about our present squad.

• At last a view you agree with @glasshalffull
    I have never been more angry watching Wycombe than I was that day against Notts County. The whole season was a horrible watch with players that were much better than they were allowed to play. That day we played for a draw and got what we deserved. To see us holding the ball in the corner 2-1 down in the closing stages and gambling on another result was awful negative stuff.
    I will never forgive Peter Taylor for the feeling I had that day. He will get nothing in terms of credit or fond memories from me.

• Well at least the aforementioned pub landlord can guarantee one chair being filled at his event by @glasshalffull. Good news in these tough times for the licensed trade.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    At last a view you agree with glasshalffull
    I have never been more angry watching Wycombe than I was that day against Notts County. The whole season was a horrible watch with players that were much better than they were allowed to play. That day we played for a draw and got what we deserved. To see us holding the ball in the corner 2-1 down in the closing stages and gambling on another result was awful negative stuff.
    I will never forgive Peter Taylor for the feeling I had that day. He will get nothing in terms of credit or fond memories from me.

Somewhat over the top if you’ll forgWho would be a football manager, eh? Anyone would think Taylor had got us relegated and raided the cash tills on his way out.

• Not on Richie's watch.

• Typed ‘if you’ll forgive me’ but it didn’t register.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Well at least the aforementioned pub landlord can guarantee one chair being filled at his event by glasshalffull. Good news in these tough times for the licensed trade.

I do a lot to help the licensed trade as it is!

• In fairness to Taylor he did really well to get that lot promoted.
    And he was absolutely stuffed by Hayes shenanighans in the summer, leaving him scratching around in the bargain bins late on, which sealed our fate.

But the whole period isn't one I remember with much pleasure. It was the ultimate get a goal up, shut them out and kill the game fare.

• I remember going away to Chesterfield, where we went 1-0 up in the first minute and then sat back and dug in for the remaining 89 minutes, despite a poor Chesterfield team being there for the taking. Really dull, although there was a sparkling substitute display from Gavin Grant before the cold northern air overcame his immune system.

• Nice one, Jonny.

• Gavin Grant. Did he even play 10 games for us in total?