Skip to content

Match day thread: Leatherhead

Comments

• Tommy Doherty would laugh at the reputation Sam Saunders has apparently been given by a few supporters.

• Sam Saunders does has a bit of a petulant streak about him which can be a bit embarrassing to watch at times. Though I would imagine that most people on here (myself included) would be far from angelic and sportsmanlike at all times in the heat of a football match.
    Fortunately he push in the face of one of the Leatherhead players in the first-half wasn't punished (although I have a suspicion that the 4th official had a Prosser moment when he identified Bloomfield as the culprit, leading to the ref inexplicably booking him but not taking action against Saunders).

• edited December 2017

I'm not for one minute suggesting Sam is a particularly unprofessional player, but its the second or third time this season he's acted in that kind of fashion.

• Saunders was also giving CMS a lot of grief during the game.

• edited December 2017

Is it not possible to distinguish between the quality of a player's football and his conduct at other times? I very much enjoy Sam as a player and dare say he's a decent bloke. But, as @OxfordBlue points out, that does not make him immune from criticism about aspects of play/ behaviour that merit it.

More than once this season, he's appeared to be out of control and behaved really poorly. It is reasonable to point this out and point out that it effects our reputation.

@ReadingMarginalista: I had visions of Sam being sent off as soon as the ref went over to the fourth official. I can't believe the fourth off. saw things clearly if it was mistaken identity. Pretty sure if he had, it would have been red. Perhaps he saw something else altogether by Blooms: though I saw Sam push their 10, there was a bit else going on, too, wasn't there!

• @HCBlue - I was amazed Saunders wasn't sent off for 'tapping' Midson, his overreaction probably saved Saunders.
    I don't believe it was a case of mistaken identity with Blooms as as I've mentioned earlier, he was aggressively shouting at Midson, I've never seen him that angry in 14 years. Not sure that warrants a booking but Blooms was heavily involved in it all.

• to be fair I think Clifty has more experience than most of us of situations involving aggressive shouting followed by incidents of footballers lashing out.............

• Saunders push was a yellow card from my angle clifty, but it was unnecessary and could have got him (and us) in deep trouble.

Without Hayes around the club/ on the pitch, we aren't the most vocal of teams, so it seems to me that Saunders has taken over the game/ referee management. It might not be pretty, but it's something that shouldn't but does make a difference with some refs.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    OxfordBlue Hello??

Is it me you’re looking for

• @clifty04 Quite, except that from where I was, a few rows higher and more in line with the incident than you, I think (saw you there), but with a similar quality of view, it was a pretty full-blooded, two-handed shove from Sam!

• I'm with @Username on this one - I think Saunders has deliberately stepped into the Hayes sledging role now he's gone. He's a cocky, intelligent, experienced and extremely gifted footballer, who knows how to exert influence with a referee and get away with driving opposition players round the bend. I expect this is fully sanctioned by Gareth Ainsworth. Saunders is a natural leader and we do miss that side of his game when Eze is playing ahead of him.

• While we're giving it some, Bloomers has certainly developed both his whinging and niggly streaks over the years

• I fully approve of JJ and Saunders’ behaviour. They’ve a long way to go before they’ve reached Tommy Mooney’s level, and I don’t remember anyone ever moaning about his antics. It’s like preferring Stephen Hendry to Ronnie O’Sullivan - objectively wrong.

• Hi @DevC, presume you saw the recent incident where Patrice Evra was sacked by his club for assaulting a fan. Evra was provoked also. Did Marseille do the correct thing here or should they have followed Wycombe's example?
    Just curious as you feel the need to bring something that happened 9 months ago up and bring it into a discussion that has no relevance to my side of the debate here at all.

It was a totally unnecessary and stupid shove @HCblue, and by the letter of the law he was very very lucky to remain on the pitch agreed. Midson's reaction though was laughable.

• I think the yellow card shown to Bloomfield was a case of mistaken identity. Seemed like Saunders was even trying to make that case to the ref, who was having none of it.
    It was unnecessary for Saunders to get involved, he marched over from about 20 yds away just to shove Midson. It could have been interpreted as a red card offence and what use would that have been to us?
    It's good to be passionate, as well as skilful, and sometimes you need to be vocal on the pitch and leaf by example. However, most of all, you have to be on the pitch. If you get yourself sent off you're going to be no use to your team at all.

• Oh @clifty04 . Of course Wycombe did the right thing, and so did Marseille. The circumstances in each case were very different, although the fans involved in the Marseille case were stupid too.

• Maybe @Chris, and I haven't said otherwise.
    I'm just struggling to comprehend why Dev found it appropriate to bring up an event that I happened to witness around 9 months ago, seemingly in a bid to disregard and mock my case in a discussion regarding an incident in a Wycombe match.
    Almost as if the fact I witnessed that means my opinion on any football related matter is irrelevant as it clearly can't be right. Strange.

• Dev is just being his usual argumentative, contrarian self @clifty04 Regardless of our differences around what we think of the whole event and subsequent way it was dealt with, I agree it was entirely unnecessary for him to raise it based on his third-hand knowledge.

• I think @DevC was simply taking the opportunity to make a light joke. Given the amount of spite he seems to receive from others, for reasons I do not understand, I imagine (hope) he would he be among the last to put the boot in.

• Some of the abuse Dev gets on here is thoroughly undeserved. A lot of the time its not.

• Surely any abuse, on any forum is uncalled for.

• I don't mean people effing and jeffing at him or doxxing him, I just mean people telling him he's wrong and pretty daft.

• I think it was Dev's best ever attempt at humour

• Is it pun time yet?

• @eric_plant said:
    I think it was Dev's best ever attempt at humour

Your easily pleased then.

• Or the bar is quite low. To be fair I was thinking much the same thing as @DevC wrote. The only difference is that @clifty04 tends to post the abuse online rather than say it to anyone's face.

Did I miss Sam Saunders getting sent off on Sunday? If he didn't with the idiot ref we had I'd venture he's pretty safe.

• you hate referees don't you Righty?

never have a good word to say about them

• Lazy and kneejerk as it may be @clifty04 Chris is the gasroom dictator who oppresses us all, richie is the play-off goalkeeper who never was and Ruth (amongst other gems) and Dev is never far away from a mention of oogling on public transport...you're just the headbutt/gypsy **** guy.

• No more talk of oogling or you’re banned, son.