Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe

13»

Comments

• Both El-Abd and Scarr have different weaknesses so I think they will alternate depending on type of opposition.

• Scarr will be a very good player, lets remember he has played 2 and a half league games.

• Amazing how quickly people forget that Sido was naff at centre half in the first few games.

• I can't believe Sido is being considered by some as a viable centre back alternative. He's a full back who can get by in the odd game but not longer term. Whilst El-Abd has been a liability every time a cross comes in I'd play him every time at centre back ahead of Sido.
    Will be interesting to see what happens with WDH and Muller in the coming weeks but this season goes to show how lucky we've been with centre backs in recent seasons. Lots of teams have these problems most of the time.

• I think a lot of us just like to see Sido play anywhere because of his eccentricity/entertainment value. At the moment though while we are getting plenty of entertainment I’m happy to see him on the bench

• Except for the Dagnell breakaway, I didn't think El-Abd was that bad on Tuesday. He seems calm on the ball. I would imagine it's going to be Stewart and El-Abd, or Scarr and El-Abd, unless something goes terribly wrong in the next couple of games. I would like to see Scarr and Stewart play together though.

• I like Sido as a right-back. Those telescopic legs wrapping wround players in the box when he's a centre back always frighten me!

• Sido had a couple of exceptional games at centre back and some pretty terrible ones too. He's viable back-up but it would be pretty hairy watching him play there week in week out.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • El Abd and Scarr are both far better centre halves than Sido

• I'm not sure the phrase 'Sido has done as well as any' is actually true. It's great he has gained so much love and respect from the supporters. He is a charismatic and entertaining full back but if you look at his centre back play in isolation he's been an accident waiting to happen. He's just not that type of footballer.
    I'm not sure starting the season with him at centre back helped him, WdH or Max Muller. I think he's get plenty of game time as the season progresses at either full back but fear he may have lost some confidence from his time in the middle.

• He was brilliant at CB in the last half dozen games of last season - outplayed Stewart and Pierre. Not so surefooted at the start of this year, but I'd be at least considering giving him a start on Saturday. Both Scarr and El Abd were hideously to blame for the second goal on Tuesday while, if you watch the highlights, El Abd turned off completely when the cross came in for their first, which is why Dagnall was totally unmarked when the ball came back. Don't hate either player; El Abd's grown into the team over the season and Scarr is young and needs experience. But no reason for me not to consider Sido quite carefully. Not for entertainment value. Because I think he might be the best option currently.

• Just watched the video. marking on goal 1 was indeed poor. Second goal bog standard Lg2 goal very similar to our first. Not sure I'd hammer the CB over that one.

• keeper should have claimed that slow loopy cross for the first shouldn't he?

• @DevC , three defenders and one attacker and two of the defenders completely fail to react to either the ball or the runner. I'd imagine they were deeply embarrassed by that one.

@eric_plant With that trajectory, I think it's fair for Brown not to come for that.

• From video only, not seen live, no way the keeper could get there for me.

• Maybe it's just me, but i could have sworn Sido had a terrific run of games at centre back at the end of last season?
    So much so, that quite a few wouldn't have been against him playing there regularly.

He's probably the player in the squad it's the most of a shame to have constantly benched. He has a lot more to offer than being an occasional fill in.

As it stands it would be hard to see him getting another deal, unless Harriman attracts further interest

• Not hard to see Harriman attracting that interest if he continues as he has started this season, I'd say, @Malone. I think I'm with @bookertease on Sido - great entertainment, heart-stopping sometimes, but we're getting plenty of entertainment elsewhere atm, long may it last!