Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe

Comments

• Yes, I did think Saunders was poor tonight which was a shame, because I think its his first start since Port Vale where he was excellent. Incidentally, I thought Harriman was our worst player tonight until his cracking goal. Umerah offered very little when he came on.

• Just watched highlights of the Cambridge game. There'll be no day off for Stewart for that one: they've got a massive number nine who scored a couple, including one cracker.

• I don't get to many games these days, but I can't recall the last time I saw 2 goals of that quality in a single game from us. CMS's was decent too but I just thought he was going to screw it up the entire time, the whole thing seemed to take an age.

I thought CMS was great in the first half but anonymous in the second, and vice versa with Tyson, but much of that had to do with the service they were given. Eze did great stuff at times, especially the way they were marking him.

I can see why we are struggling to keep clean sheets though with the limited midfield protection of the back four.

• Bean was mom for me, running tirelessly, thought Sam S had a good game playing some nice touches. Defensively we have work to do, looked better when Stewart came on.
    I also thought CMS was going to trip over the ball or something when he scored he seemed to have the ball for an eon before getting it in the net. And as for the late two goals, wow! What a great win, and on a Tuesday night too!! Congrats boys, great win, let's keep it going for Saturday. COYB!!

• @WanderingDays said:
    Are people joking with their criticism of Eze? That was one of, if not the most outstanding performance I have ever seen from a Wycombe midfielder. By far our best player tonight, light years ahead of Bean. I don't know why his defence is being criticised. He won the ball back multiple times, just like against Col U. Same with his distribution. He makes the right decision on the ball 99% of the time.

He was nowhere when we were without the ball and his attempts to close people down are almost pointless as he so rarely gets tight enough to win the ball. At times we has Saunder and Eze pressed on, as well as the full backs. That is fine if you're Man City or Barcelona but when we lost possession the middle it was far too open. Eze is excellent going forward but to describe him as 'light years ahead of Bean' is absurd.

• Bean was my MoM. He played the effort and endeavour of three players last night giving space for Eze and Saunders to do the pretty stuff. I don't think we can afford to have Saunders, Eze, CMS, Tyson all at once (great though it is) as we are going to have to win 4-3 every week. We need another grafter in there and are lucky to have Bloomers, Gape and 09 in the squad too.

• The transformation of Bean starting from towards the end of last season has been astonishing. Undroppable at the minute

• Yep, enjoyable performances from Saunders & Eze, but Bean's role was vital. We got away with it last night (just!), but it probably is too much to have both the playmakers starting in midfield. I'd like to see Gape back on Saturday with either one of Eze or Saunders on the bench and replace the other in the last 20-30 mins depending on the game situation.

• We lost goals last night because El Abd cant win a header not because of Eze, he won us the game basically with his passing.

• @rmjlondon I have to agree. I have avoided the El Abd criticism to date but looking at the highlights of last night he showed great naivety for both goals. For someone who has played at a higher level getting caught out by a bouncing ball for the second and a sucker punch long cross for the first is pretty poor. I was hoping for a leader at the centre of the defence, he's not demonstrating that by example at the moment. I would have Sido and Stewart in the centre on Saturday as El Abd is going to get caught out physically.

• Drop Blackman and Pierre into this side and we would walk this league

• And we've still got Kashket to come. Hopefully.

• What an absolutely brilliant football match. The reason we all put up with the bad times. Wonderful

• We don't win many Tuesday night home matches, but I tell you what when we do....
    1. Paul Hayes late late penalty v Exeter.
    2. 5-1 thumping of Crewe a year ago today.
    3. Last night.

A 1-0 win over Cambridge with a Harriman thunderbolt the only other win in that time that doesn't necessarily excite like the others. It did put us top of the league mind you.

• And if you want to make yourself feel even better after that, just have a look at the bottom of League 1. Wonder how long the delightful Mr Adams has got...

• edited September 2017

Fantastic game really enjoyed Ezes skills are sublime and CMS has added a real threat to our game every time he gets the ball he straight lines it for the opponents goal. The crowd was buzzing last night as well.

• edited September 2017

Are some of us really complaining that we have too many creative players on the pitch? After toiling through last season’s famine of entertainment lrt’s just gorge and enjoy ourselves for as long as it lasts

• I'm happy as Larry watching us at the moment, @bookertease. I don't think anyone's complaining about the lineup. But we'd be less happy if we'd lost last night's game, as looked likely, and I think it's fair to say that the balance of the midfield could have been improved. End of the day, I go home happiest when we win!

• Hear hear to that @bookertease. Eze, for one, probably won't be here after January.

• Enjoy him while we can, right? I'm hoping he starts every single game between now and then. If that means Sam is on the bench for a bit to get the balance right, I can live with that even though I really like watching Sam play, too.

• The three stages of Gasroom.

Why does Gareth only sign stoppers for the midfield we need creative ball playing midfielders to take on opposition players. Gareth sort it out!
    Did you see that ball playing midfielder taking on opposition players last night. What about his defensive duties? Gareth sort it out.
    Sad isn;t it to see a young exciting midfielder wycombised into a hoofing stopper. Ainsworth out!

• yes, we were caught out a bit in the midfield last night...but Eze's passing was excellent and he dispossessed people a few times AND not just stopping them, but keeping the ball and starting an attack. It was great to see. Gareth was right in his post-match, I was confident we were going to win it. Great displays from Beano, CMS and Tyson. The combinations and speed of Harriman and Tyson and JJ and CMS was a delight. Bayo keeps defences busy so the others can play. Great display and at last we have a decent bench and the chance to rotate. Good game...and three great goals.

• Bean brilliant - Eze continues to delight when he gets the ball - best football we are playing for years

• I would swop saunders for gape and stewart for the egyptian on saturday along as scarr is fit.

• Stewart and Sido for me on Saturday over Scarr and El Abd.

• Sido is nowhere near the starting line up, he wouldn't even be sub should everybody be fit.

• Sido is better than El Add. El Abd may talk a good game but he is exposed fairly easily. The Crewe second goal was a prime example. It is a long time since I have seen a centre back let the ball bounce instead of taking control and clearing his lines.

• However, I agree with you that our best pairing at the moment is Scarr and Stewart.

• Watch the goals from the bristol rovers tinpot trophy match. Not pretty viewing for Sido unfortunately.

He's a decent right back but not a centre half in a million years

• Seems to me a strong possibility that both saunders and Eze started on Tuesday simply because there was no-one else (apart from freeman) available to do so. Ok Gape was on the bench but on way back from injury and didn't come on - perhaps available only in emergency?