Skip to content

Danny Rowe

Fast becoming one of the stranger signings of recent years. Never given a chance and barely even mentioned. He's like a Matt Spring figure. I have only ever seen decent performances from him and his physical presence has improved over the past 2 seasons but still gets no where near the starting line up or even the squad.
If GA really doesn't rate him then its only fair to pay him off and let him try and make a career for himself away from AP. A mistake IMHO but what do I know.

Comments

• Agreed @TheAndyGrahamFanClub he seems to play a game...and usually gets both plaudits and brickbats for that one game...and then he's out again. Like you say, if he's not playing in midfield and not being used to cover at the back, he might as well go elsewhere.

• He couldn't get a regular starting spot when on loan at Barrow, so perhaps he is not as good as some of us think.

• edited August 2017

In before someone says that he's "still young"

This is the 5th different season he's featured for us now!

A question for those of you who rate him highly, who would you play him over?

Harriman and JJ at full back?
    O Nien, Gape or Saunders in centre mid?
    Stewart, El Abd, Jombati at centre back?

Now the easy current in criticism is of El Abd, so maybe a lot would play him there.

Big worry for Rowe is seemingly behind about 5 players in both centre back and centre mid positions.

• He signed for us, we were delighted. He barely got a chance. He has stagnated since. Its hardly fair to say he has not performed when he gets a game once in a blue moon and then nothing.
    A real waste and its not a case of the one that got away its a case of one that we might be responsible for buggering up.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - But if he wasn't doing the business for Barrow in the Conference, why would he be able to do it for us?

• But @mooneyman - he has done the business for us when he's given a chance. I remember him scoring last season and being dropped the next match. I remember marauding moves from deep-lying positions as a defensive midfielder, I remember height in the box at corners (both ours and the opposition's), I remember an assured pair of feet on the ball and passes that get to our own players.

If there's anything he lacks it's the arrogance to throw his toys out of the pram when repeatedly discarded when others return from injury, despite not having done much wrong.

I also think I'm right that he's not played a single match alongside O'Nien in midfield. Play him alongside our best players rather than our worst and you'll see a quality product. I'm confident of that.

• @aloysius I have to agree.

• Put it the other way then, why couldn't he do for Barrow?

• I have no idea - but I do know they were very keen on him when he was sent there the first time, playing in midfield for the first time in his career - so much so that they asked for him to come back a second time.

• I'm surprised he hasn't become more of a mythical 'we'd have won the league by now' player on the terrace by now, considering he always has played well but never gets a chance. He's perfect.

• As he only played a total of 11 games for Barrow in two loan spells, it cannot be easy to judge his performances. He was injured at least once so that would also have impacted. Horses for courses may be another factor. It's a right enigma and that's a fact. Haven't spoken to him this season but in the past he has clearly been very happy at Adams Park. That will soon change (if it hasn't already.). Sad.

• Maybe he is perfectly happy just being a pro and being around a "good set of lads". Would like to play a bit more, but a few turn outs a season is fine by him. Maybe a drive issue.

• @aloysius said:
    But mooneyman - he has done the business for us when he's given a chance. I remember him scoring last season and being dropped the next match. I remember marauding moves from deep-lying positions as a defensive midfielder, I remember height in the box at corners (both ours and the opposition's), I remember an assured pair of feet on the ball and passes that get to our own players.

If there's anything he lacks it's the arrogance to throw his toys out of the pram when repeatedly discarded when others return from injury, despite not having done much wrong.

I also think I'm right that he's not played a single match alongside O'Nien in midfield. Play him alongside our best players rather than our worst and you'll see a quality product. I'm confident of that.

Spot on that man. Certainly a better option than Bean for me..... but maybe I'm just a sucker for someone who can make a five yard pass on the floor to a teammate?

• Had to join in as this is a thing of rare beauty, a thread that mentions my two favourite midfield Chairboys: sweet & sour / light & shade / mild & bitter - oh to have seen Matt Spring & Beano grace the lawn together at Adams Park, who wouldn't pay top dollar for that.?
    I too am confused by Danny boys low profile, can't train well in mid week ( hence the Matt Spring comparison ?).

• If he's playing five yard floor passes to teammates then he's clearly not been Wycombised yet.

• I did enjoy watching him play a few games at the end of the 15/16 season when we first got a glimpse of him in midfield and we all thought he'd be the first name on the team sheet at the start of the next season. I think he brings a good calmness to the team, doesn't feel rushed in possession and adds some much needed height to our rather small team. Your probably right drcongo he prefers a pass to a hoof and so fell out of favour

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    He signed for us, we were delighted. He barely got a chance. He has stagnated since. Its hardly fair to say he has not performed when he gets a game once in a blue moon and then nothing.
    A real waste and its not a case of the one that got away its a case of one that we might be responsible for buggering up.

Spot on. We cant afford to be a team that screws up careers for players that are superfluous to requirements and even if we could I would hate it to become common.

He hasnt had much of a chance here or with enough time out on loan.

He is an anomoly in an otherwise fairly smart recruitment record.

• I actually forgot we had him, when did he last play in the league for us?

• And today we've only named six subs, Rowe not among them.

• Something fishy is going on if Rowe not on the bench at Grimsby. I can only assume a loan announcement will be made early next week or he'll be released. Mad if so.

• Or he's injured/unwell/on strike

• @aloysius said:
    Something fishy is going on if Rowe not on the bench at Grimsby. I can only assume a loan announcement will be made early next week or he'll be released. Mad if so.

Perhaps it's a new signing, Cod Roe to be announced?

• Very concerning if we can't fill the bench three games into the season. And the total silence about Danny Rowe is frustrating to put it mildly.

• edited August 2017

Manager gives fans nothing...we are only told me are valued by actions speak more than words

• No Saunders or Tyson are the real misses. But Rowe out when there's not been a word about any injury is becoming a bit of a re-occurring one.

Sido instantly dropped instead of El-Abd was 100% predictable too.

• Can someone translate please?

• Ja, wir sind tief in die Scheisse. @Marginalista Help!!

• @Wwfc2015_ Manager gave us win today. Actions spoke.

• Intriguing. Hope everything is OK. Guess we leave it alone for now.