Skip to content

will Adam Clift be banned from Adams Park for comment made on Twitter

Comments

• edited August 2017

@rmjlondon said:
    ryan_w_kirkby oh well ryan never mind ya mate has got himself into very hot water and could end up banned, maybe in future he should think before he posts racist comments on Twitter.

He's not a mate but someone I've seen at games home and away and had a pint or two in his company.

regardless of that i think all this has been blown out of proportion and in truth a simple apology when prompted would of sorted it.

• Not sure we can have degrees of racist comment. Either something is racist or it isn't (but like pregnancy really, you are either pregnant or you aren't - can't be a little bit pregnant!) can't have a little bit racist. Guidance is absolutely clear also, racist behavior is against the law - no one can be in any doubt about that and it applies equally in a football ground as in the world outside the ground. However the punishment should be equitable and IF the case under investigation is that being discussed in this thread, then a short ban (although not sure how to define short - couple of months maybe?) should be enough.

• Unpleasant comments indeed. But I'm not comfortable with the hardline approach. It appears as if power is getting to a few peoples' heads. Remember we are a small club and need all the fans we can get, even ones who have been silly. Banning should be at the very last resort.

• we already have his money in the bank, if he is banned he won't be getting a refund so who cares, he will still be able to go to the away games with his cronies.

• There was another thread regarding attracting people from other communities to the club. Can we really do that if there is any perception of racism being condoned?

• @rmjlondon the club have refunded pro rota season tickets for banned fans in the past.

• Doubt that !

• edited August 2017

Why does Ritchie have a photo of some shirtless bloke that he's stolen off the internet as his photo?
    Worrying scenes.

ps, as for mysterious bannings, I quite like them. Sends a message out to certain fans who are under the false impression that it's ok to say, do or write whatever they fancy.

• Nothing that club have released is suggesting people will be banned for saying Paul Hayes is slow, or Sam Saunders needs a haircut. There is no distinction any more between what people say on social media and what they in person. If the tweet in question was reported to the club, it should be investigated in the most serious terms.

HSAT, i think it would be harsh if Adam was banned. Deleting the tweet is as good as an admission of guilt, and as far as i know, this is the first time he's been guilty of such a crime.

• There are degrees of murder. Of course there are degrees of racism.

As it happens, I suspect the case in question is more about knobheadism than racism.

• Fully agree that there are degrees of seriousness. The point I was trying to make was that racism is racism and just because whatever was said / done could be categorised as being in the lower end of the spectrum, it doesn't take it out of the racism category and should be dealt with accordingly. The punishment should then reflect the degree of seriousness.

• @rmjlondon Are you just trying to get reactions now?

• @Midlander if you are questioning @rmjlondon on the inner financial working of this club I fear you are on rocky ground, but taking action (allegedly) when it appears someone has tweeted slightly racist material about the manager is hardly power going to people's head is it? Bearing in mind how short of fans we are, at what point do you think the club should act?

• "Racism is racism" is as meaningless a phrase as "rape is rape" or "no deal is better than a bad deal".

Probably not a subject for a football forum though.

• @DevC You're right about murder. I'm very interested to know what the degrees of racism are? Going equipped to be racist? Premeditated racism? Accidentally being racist? Being an accomplice to a racist?

• edited August 2017

@ Wendoverman - the CPS guidance on racist and religious crimes explains this more.http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/racist_and_religious_crime/. This also makes clear that the use of the racist term in question in this thread has been regarded as racist since 1989, so the traveller community are afforded the same protection as other more obvious groups. It is reasonable to speculate that this debate would have been more clear cut if the n-word had been used. Similarly police at Leicester v Brighton at the weekend cautioned one individual for homophobic chanting and another supporter has been charged under the relevant legislation covering chanting at football matches. Clearly if the individual who allegedly chanted the offending words at Port Vale had been reported, he might will be facing similar treatment.

• Thanks @Baldric sort of supports the notion there is no degree of racism but as rape has been brought up...like Nazis...it's time to close the debate!

• 'Probably not a subject for a football forum though.' Thanks therefore for posting it on a football forum @DevC

• @DevC - are you seriously suggesting there are `degrees' of rape?

• @MindlessDrugHoover nooooooooooooo don't go there!!!!!

• CPS guidelines on sentencing specifically state 'relationship and acquaintance rapes should be treated by the courts as seriously as stranger rape. Male rapes are as serious as those between a man and a woman. All types of rape are equally serious.'

• LX1LX1
    edited August 2017

Looking at @clifty04 twitter, he claims to be Wycombe home and away yet regularly posts about Manchester United. Ban the scumbag for life

• edited August 2017

To be fair being from the Midlands myself it's taken as read that everyone in the south supports United. His wordsmith pal with the damaged nasal passages is also a chelski supporter...

• What does the CPS say about misleading a football forum about new signings @Baldric ?

• @Wendoverman I think the crime needs to be very serious for a fan to be banned. I.e. An offence that warrants a custodial sentence. Education rather than punishment for me.

• shame nobody knows who I am ! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

• so, only ban a supporter if they do something for which they end up in prison?

that's fucking ridiculous, and you know it

• @midlander if someone has a custodial sentence I would imagine not getting your fortnightly beefy drink is the least of your worries. Surely a ban nips a problem before it escalates and requires an appearance before the beak? I get you though...I'm not for banning particularly...but a young fan got banned for a trying to bring in a flare...not a custodial sentence...but deemed serious enough. I think an adult making racial slurs against -let's say - the manager or a player might at least be in the same category? No? (Although as I said if it is who richie says it is...I would have thought he's learnt his lesson.)

• On a point of information (and forgive me if this has been raised already) but is this character the same chap who is an occasional reporter for the Vital site? And if so would @Vital have anything to contribute to the debate? As a reporter has he been given any kind of press status at the games he reports on, and should this continue? I agree with @Midlander that in principle education is better than punishment but I'm not sure that withdrawal of those privileges (if indeed they have previously been granted) counts as punishment.

• No it's not @eric_plant. Wycombe Wanderers are a football club not a police force.