Skip to content

Confused supporter

Comments

• one draw, one win, one loss...even if he was at fault for ALL the goals scored richie. He's cost us ONE game so far...don't explode too early it's a long season.

• shall we have a sweepstake on when Richie explodes? Can I have Oct 28th?

• I assume he'll have Gareth getting in a new loan keeper soon and will calm down a bit.

• @DevC dull old world eh? Sorry, there will be dull days and less dull days.

• Hughie I agree with a lot of your comments one thing you didn't mention was by having the pitch as narrow as it is it does give teams with a long thrower an added advantage. Do we have a player to take advantage No. I like Gareth as a bloke and I would not wish him to lose his job but are we going to improve as a team with him in charge !!

• Fickle Dick.

• You couldn't make it up

• @johnthehair said:
    Hughie I agree with a lot of your comments one thing you didn't mention was by having the pitch as narrow as it is it does give teams with a long thrower an added advantage. Do we have a player to take advantage No. I like Gareth as a bloke and I would not wish him to lose his job but are we going to improve as a team with him in charge !!

No we are not, the football gets worse every season and he's ruined what use to be an enjoyable day out into a stressful mind boggling mess to view that never changes, i hope he fucks off so I can enjoy watching my team again after all we the fans are what matter and he is putting people off watching us. I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon but when he does maybe he should look at American football as an option his tactics are more suited to that than the beautiful game.......Ps don't give me crap about "we are a league 2 club what do you expect" we play the worst football in the football league.

• It's wonderful to see paying spectators being lectured by our resident armchair expert. I agree with many of his views relating to over-reactions but it's so easy to make these dispassionate comments when you make little effort to attend.

I also agree with whoever said that we need to see El-Abd alongside Stewart before we write him off. You can't change the core of your defence without a few issues, so I think I'll wait and see on that front.

And the 2nd half performance was very encouraging other than the defensive shambles. At 2-2 I couldn't see anything other than a Wycombe victory.

• Personally I think the club messed up in January when they rejected an offer for AP for footballing reasons, i.e. The gamble that promotion would likely see him sign a new contract. The problem with that is that GA plays boring mind numbing Football that is uninspiring and as yet has not see Wycombe cross the finish line. The outcome being that AP walked away for nowt and the replacement is clearly an older less abled defender. GA continues to sign players over the age of 33 which is a worry in a season with fifty plus games and continues to rely on the aerial threat of just one player.

Even if by some miracle he manages to win promotion this season, the football is absolute dross to watch and the transfer activity this summer has been disappointing to say the least. I was hoping for a few young talented loan signings but I guess we have no budget now that we have 6 registered strikers. Why do we need so many attacking players when we clearly are lacking in the defensive area of the squad.

One win one draw and one defeat in the league is indeed nothing to be concerned about but the standard of football is. My apologies to anyone who is offended with open criticism of our Lord and saviour GA but just how anyone can say that his brand of football should not be criticised is beyond me. It doesn't surprise me that there has been zero approach for his services from higher league clubs and it speaks volumes that when he is linked to a job fans of that team are quick to dismiss him as a suitable candidate.

• I like Ainsworth as a person and I think he represents the club with great dignity. He also deserves a lot of credit for stabilising the club following the near terminal experience of Torquay.

However I do think this is a bit of a watershed year for him, not so much for where we finish - I still think top half of the table is acceptable at the moment - but more for the style of football.

Regardless of results, for the most part the quality of football we witness is pretty dire and depressing and quite often the game itself is the least pleasurable part of a trip to Adams Park.

The strange thing is, when we click as we did apparently at Port Vale (I wasn't there), we are a delight to watch. I find it hard to square the circle of GA bringing in a ball player like Sam Saunders only to resort to hoofball, which suggests to me that somehow he does see us as a footballing team.

He is still in credit with me for the quality of football in the first half of the play off season, which whilst not quite Gormanesque was a joy to watch (dark arts excepted), but I can understand the views of @fedup1980 and @bigred87 who are pissed off with watching us at the moment.

I'm not for a moment suggesting he should leave as I think we have overachieved the past few years but i am watching more out of habit and loyalty than because I enjoy the football at the moment.

I do think if we have another season of poor football and without the distraction of trips to WHL, the crowd, rather than a small minority, may turn on him.

Still early days though and we seem to have played okayish in 3 of the 6 halves of league football we have had so far, so it might not be all bad

• Firstly, before I give my view, I shall say that I'm fully in support of Ainsworth. He's made mainly decent signings and even if we wanted, the club are never going to sack him anyway, so we might as well support him.

The football is dire though, we've known that for a long time and I hope that when we do change manager we employ someone who doesn't play joyless football. Can't see that happening anytime soon though - I reckon the whole reason Ainsworth has not been nabbed is due to the dreadful football and deserved reputation for cheating.

Also, I don't get why people moan at booing - me personally, I think it should be saved for the worst situations - I'd say about 5 times in my 26 years of supporting the club I've resulted to it. But you pay your money and you have the right to voice your opinion - provided it is lawful of course.

Finally, I don't get why everyone bangs on about Torquay as some great day and how we should be grateful to the players and manager. They got us in that position with their sheer incompetence and all with a squad that, on paper, should have been nowhere near relegation. I could understand if a new manager and new players had come in - they'd rightly deserve credit, but not the ones that performed so poorly for the bulk of the season.

• I agree with most of what you say bookertease. I find myself continuing to attend because of my loyalty to the club, the friends I meet up with at the game and the continual hope that we will improve. It's not as often these days that I actually enjoy the performances.
    I do often wonder, if the club was more financially buoyant whether Ainsworth would change the playing style. He was lauded as a player for his grit and determination and this is a key factor in his managerial style. Therefore, I think we should expect more of the same, whatever the budget position.
    What I believe GA does do though is over achieve based on our playing budget. Some of the haters need to be careful what they wish for.

• Having the right to do something is entirely different to it being a good idea, and it certainly doesn't mean you can't be criticised for doing it.

• I also like Ainsworth and every now and then there is pleasure to be had from football breaking out...whether by accident or design who knows. My concern has always been late subs that have no effect on the game and for Saturday was, having looked at the injury list, putting Hayesy out instead of the forward we had just signed...who came on at half-time and did well. Yes, we have to play Akinfenwa because he does what he does very very well...but you need to put players either side to help him. As I've already moaned - without first choice forwards - I would have put Freeman and CMS on from the start. CMS is a goal threat and Freeman must have earned a place by now. If a 34 year old with no pace gets the nod ahead of you...it must make you wonder what the point is.

• What do we do with Hayes though?

If the well renowned "leader" and former top performer can't get in the team with Saunders/Tyson/Kashket/Paris out, it gives a real problem.

Should he only start in the minor cups, or be a 20min impact player? I doubt he's ever been the latter. Should we look to loan him out, or just have him sat about being a "good leader" in the dressing room? Or move him into a coaching role?

Still in August, we've a real situation there.

• CMS was not in the starting 11, because as he admitted himself he was not fully matching and could have risked breaking down injured if risked for 90 minutes.

• Match fit.

• Not sure its a real situation, Malone.

IF (note big IF) GA thinks that PH is no longer good enough to start meaningful matches, then I am sure GA would take him to one side and have an honest conversation. This is the reality, we would love to have you around doing some coaching, but if you want first team football we would not stand in your way.

• I would suspect Paul Hayes will move on before the window closes as we don't have a coaching role available and Im sure he wants to play football but after Fulham and Saturday it won't be here anymore.
    Hopefully we will see that money if not all is paid to PH reinvested.

• Hayes would be okay as a straight Bayo replacement I think. Albeit slightly more Immobile. He knows how to score.

• He doesn't jump, doesn't win a header is frightened to death of getting hurt and is no longer upto it, replacing Bayo is certainly pie in the sky.

• I can see him moving to a player manager role in the National League.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure its a real situation, Malone.

IF (note big IF) GA thinks that PH is no longer good enough to start meaningful matches, then I am sure GA would take him to one side and have an honest conversation. This is the reality, we would love to have you around doing some coaching, but if you want first team football we would not stand in your way.

You just described a real situation Dev, albeit hypothetical (if that isn't a contradiction!). An honest, adult conversation is certainly required unless of course GA is delusional about the obvious shortcomings of the present version of Paul Hayes.
    OMG, I find myself agreeing with Richie regarding the suggestion that he would be OK in the Bayo role. Quite apart from the fact that I have never seen PH play as an out and out target man, no-one in the present squad could come close to emulating Bayo!

• @micra I'm not saying he could emulate the big fella micra...only that he is a goalscorer and would be best in that position if GA insists on playing him. Not sure that @rmjlondon 's negative assessment is totally accurate either

• Ok - just a thought.

• No way will Hayes leave this August. GA will still see him having a role. i do agree though that there is a lot missing from his game at the moment

• Paul Hayes' twitter account shows that he is an academy coach at Charlton?

is this widely known? I had no idea, and I know pretty much everything

• My worry is if Hayes is being lined up as a future manager will we carry on playing awful football,i would rather have Blooms who played under Gorman who had us playing good football,that or bring Gorman back who had the team entertaining us fans with football worth paying to watch.