Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I am very much in agreement with @eric_plant in terms of what Michael Bostwick got away with. I remarked when Saunders was booked that it was incredible that Bostwick hadn't already been booked since he had committed far more fouls than Saunders (or Gape, can't be sure).

• Saunders was booked for mouthing off !!

• All round really good game on the eye ball on the floor being knocked around etc..

• I'll trust your facts @micra but El-Abd looked quite small compared to other players to me. Perhaps he was just far away. @Jonny_King I noticed PCH looked pissed off during the warm-up, and someone else pointed out that he was acting up a bit at final whistle (which I did not see) so it could just be I put two and two together to make 57.

• @bigred87 said:
    All round really good game on the eye ball on the floor being knocked around etc..

Don't like the sound of eyeballs on the floor. Perhaps that's what happened to Rhead when he had trouble finding the touch line.

• Re Bostwick if you're playing the holding midfield role and breaking up play it is a given that you will concede a few free kicks. I don't think that can be held up as evidence of a poor performance.

Really Lincoln's poor marking and an inadequate wall were to blame, not the free kicks being conceded in the first place.

• A great result against a bigger club oviously we shouldnt expect to beat them even thought they just got promoted back from the the conference

• First game watching wycombe was a bit of a scrappy game and was disappointed bayo didnt come off the whole lunp the ball up to the big guy didnt work all game think he won about two headers in a game where the ball was in the air most the game was that wycombes fans at there average attendance? Atmosphere was pretty dull in my opinion but i dont know if it was jus the lincoln fans making it look worse they were decent fans tbh

• I am afraid in the old days we would have turned up in sufficient numbers to ousting the away fans.

• outsing

• I have been coming for over 30 years, yes I sit with my son, but still I sing louder than anyone sitting near me.

• I felt embarrassed by our atmosphere on Saturday.

• Ye i felt a little like that just looking to get into coming to football regularly and the ticket prices are pretty decent aswell

• We were always going to be oustung on Saturday. Lincoln were bang up for it.

The crowd responds to good attacking play ultimately. There wasn't much of that on the weekend.

• The crowd at Wycombe is what it is. Good sides, like people being polite and decent to each other. Not so good sides, like those who stay seated and frown when Wycombe score.

• I expected a bigger crowd, if I'm honest. Rather surprised so few (Wycombe fans) turned up, but that's just me projecting my own perspective on the rest of the world, as usual. I dare say everyone is, quite properly, in summer mode still and enjoying a football-free life.

It wasn't quite happening on the terrace, which is where the noise will come from if it comes, on Saturday either. The buzz wasn't there before the game and never really got going. When the terrace crowd gets on the referee or the opposition, rather than behind their team, as happened in the second half, you know they've lost their mojo.

There was also not a lot to get behind in the second half from the team. It really was a featureless 45 minutes from the home team.

• I'm always disappointed when we kick towards the terrace first half.

• edited August 2017

Yes. I don't think I saw that once last season, in about 15 games. Though I didn't mind when we scored twice.

• I thought 4,000+ home fans was pretty good considering last season our average home attendance (including away fans) was 3,900-something. That's with people still away on holidays etc. However, sadly I wonder if that figure will fall as the season progresses.

I do agree though that for a town of HW's size we should be getting bigger gates and it's a bit demoralising to think we used to regularly get 6,000+ (around the early 2000's). I'm not sure what more the club can do in terms of what we offer off the pitch, as our tickets are among the cheapest in L2 and they really seem to be bending over backwards to make coming to AP as 'consumer friendly' as possible.

We've lacked any real presence in the town for a while, but I don't know if this has improved at all in recent years. I guess the access nightmare to and particularly from the ground must put a few people off too. Overall though, people (especially kids) like to support a team that's winning and/or playing good football.

• bang on middle attendance for Lg2 last season for a mid sized town without much of a higher level history hemmed in by higher level clubs with easy access and (I would guess) a relatively transient population given its easy access to London and hence lack of long term family roots. Not sure we have any right to expect better.

• edited August 2017

@Jonny_King I would guess that the higher figures in the early 2000s were influenced by being a League 1 club - not only would we have been getting more home supporters but there are more "bigger" clubs with better away support which can make a real difference over a season. I agree that Saturday's was a fair turnout all things considered.

• We also had a big money backer and an FA cup semi final appearance under our belts.

• Given that there were about 2000 Lincoln fans on Saturday, I was a little disappointed there wasn't a bigger crowd - just over 3000 Wycombe fans was fewer than I expected on opening day but, like I said, that could just be me and my personal inclinations speaking.

I quite agree that there's no reason to think we should get significantly more. From limited experience and observation, crowd size increases when the team succeeds, as it does everywhere. Even if we continue to play dour football, if the results go well, I'd expect the crowds to go up.

• Important correction @HCblue. Disappointing, as you say.

• According to the club, there were only 1,433 Lincoln fans.

• @Vital said:
    According to the club, there were only 1,433 Lincoln fans.

I don't believe that.

• There were 1433 Lincoln fans in a crowd of 5538. That is 4105 home fans and in my opinion a really decent turnout for the first home game when plenty are still on their holidays.

Hope to sneak over 4000 tonight with around 1500 away fans?

• Put it this way, I thought the away end held 1800. Didn't appear to be hundreds of empty seats.

• The away end was nowhere near full anybody with eyes could see that !!!

• Lincoln advertised that 400 tickets remained unsold so that is pretty close to being the correct attendance. And if we get more that 2,000 tonight I would be shocked