Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• The only way Lincoln are getting back into this if we gift them another goal. They've offered nothing.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    What a shower of shit this is. Sending me asleep

You have covered the 1st step in recognising that you are an idiot. Now move on to a cure!

• I don't understand this 433 formation. Might as well have 9 players on the pitch for all the two wide forwards ever see of the ball.

• If their keeper wore a little black hat he'd look like a highlighter

• It comes to something when you find yourself googling what 'civils' means on an advertising board. Pipes and stuff by all accounts.

Perhaps the dullest opening and closing 20 mins in living memory.

• What a mug. Imo it was a shit game. Get your rose tinted glasses off

• First half wasn't bad at all Wwfc2015. We faded in second half. O'Nien was very good. Tyson didn't really get involved. Brown didn't really impress but maybe just an off game. Lincoln weren't as good as I had expected. I can't see their centre forward playing in their first team come Xmas, he was a real donkey who fell to the floor every time someone touched him.

We did gift them two goals and the worry is El Abd lacks pace through the middle and we could get exposed there.

Early days yet though.

• Missing Weston and Thompson as options in the front three?

• El Abd was the big disapppintment for me - lacked composure for someone with his experience but Sido yet again had a great game at cb. Don't think we'll come up against a more physical and niggly team again this season. Maybe we'll no longer be considered the dark arts masters of the division. Ref was very weak.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:

Oooh. You cyber bully!

• Two not very good sides. We desperately need Stewart back. Much as I like Sido his game management isn't the best. Positives were... well Joe was okay and Sam and Luke put a real shift in. Disturbing thing was that Lincoln look better at the dark arts than we are. Ref was appalling although in fairness he had probably only refereed football matches before. Lucky that Lincoln started playing for a draw with 30 minutes left.

But. Great to be back at the football and was a good atmosphere and a point. We'll get better

• edited August 2017

TVP cracking a few Stone Island skulls down by the Hour Glass. Bloke being read his rights face down in the middle of the road!

• Interesting first half - both teams offered something. Second half, we created zero. Nothing. Nada. Nothing remotely resembling a chance. Best you could say about our second half was that we didn't concede again.

Their second goal was beautifully worked but, for my money, Harriman was muscled away a little easily, not for the first time.

El Abd and Sido did fine, I'd say. It's going to be different at the back this year. In the first half, we played out from the back more than once and looked comfortable doing so - this would be the obvious benefit of adding El Abd and losing Pierre. The aerial battle was, well, a battle at both ends. Ref let a good amount of jostling/ wrestling/ common assault go - consistent for both teams. Bayo was well off the pace, which cost us any chance of creating something in the second half when we reverted totally to hoofball.

Agree with @drcongo : Tyson and Southwell did nothing but chase around all game. No width, no touches. Southwell, again, tried his socks off. No complaints.

Saunders had some impact but also got outmuscled a few times: their 16 - Bostwick, I think - did a nice, if artless, job in the middle.

First half offered something for the early season dreamers. Second half was just like the worst of the last two seasons.

At half time, the game was ours to win. At the end, relieved to get a point.

• And Thomo got both goals for Morecombe.

• Early squint at our strengths and weaknesses today.

Strengths: Akifenwa's presence (though Lincoln dealt with him effectively), O'Nien, Jombati (though he presumably won't be first choice at centre-back), team resilience, ease with a familiar system...and early promise at set pieces.

Presuming/hoping that the problems with the defence will sort themselves out.

Weaknesses: Same old tendency to rely on Route One when under pressure. Hard to see where lots of goals will come from with a 4-1-2-3 system that plays Tyson/Southwell/whoever so wide of Akifenwa's knock-ons and passes.

All in all, most likely bet is that we end up roughly where we were last season - i.e: anywhere from scraping the playoffs to mid-table ish.

• @Wwfc2015_ said:

The good.thing is I can take them glasses off, you will always be an idiot regardless!

• Looking to see if the goals are up on Sky yet - they're not - but watched the highlights of Stevenage v Newport. Highly recommended for numerous comedy goals and misses.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football

• 2 very contradicting halves, 1st they sat back and allowed us the ball to which we then lumped it up towards bayo and 2nd we sat back and presumably played for a draw for the last half hour and they lumped balls up. I really hate433, always have done, it leaves the side backs exposed and lacks creativity, Harriman spent most of the 2nd half getting rinsed by their winger and desperately needed help as he was always 1 on 1, the help never came I think we needed to switch to 442 to help him out and we were lucky it didn't cost us more goals, I thought blooms might have come on for one of the forwards but all the subs were like for like and had no impact. Also a bit concerned about how easily we were pushed off the ball a lot and as a result lost a lot of 2nd balls. Pro's Luke had a decent game although I always expect him to, sido was decent other than that it was same old hoof ball with 2 wide players that are both central strikers. I a big believer that the successful teams in this division play football but since we persist with this hoofball I fear another season of mid table scrapping

• Lincoln were a dirty horrible side at times it looked like a wrestling match they'll do okay mid table finish for them

• Thought Lincoln were not especially different in their approach to us, @Morris_Ital . They were just better at it in the second half when we couldn't get into the game.

• Yet again let down by our so called youthim, seen trying to fight innocent fans

• @MindlessDrugHoover odd how you see these things, I thought El Abd covered himself well at the back - some niggles going forward - by was pretty effective. Sido was caught so flat footed for their equaliser it was ridiculous, simply let the striker run in front of him.

• PCH really needs to sort his attitude out. Final whistle goes and he heads straight for the dugout, collects his training top and disappears down the tunnel. No acknowledgement of his team mates - one who did try to talk to him got brushed aside - and not a glance towards the crowd. This was after he was told to get ready to come on but didn't have his shirt and had to go back into the changing room to get it.

It's a continuation from the and of last season. If he's really not happy at Wycombe I would prefer to get rid, rather than have a negative vibe around the place.

• Not Sido, @prufrock_91 , Harriman. And I don't think he was flatfooted rather than muscled away.

• Could've sworn it was Sido that the guy left standing.

• It was a pretty bruising encounter and the referee was sadly quite inconsistent. Lots of holding and pushing penalised, but just as much let go as well. This applied fairly equally to both sides and didn't help the spectacle.

Both our goals were well executed. Although to score two and fail to win at home is quite disappointing. I don't think Lincoln did a huge amount going forward and yet we handed them two goals with extremely sloppy defending. On the second either Brown should have given Sido a better call and/or the latter shouldn't have lashed at the clearance with his left foot. And once the chance unfolded Brown was too slow off his line and went down early.

Also noticeable that with Brown and El Abd in for Pierre and Blackman we look far more vulnerable to looping balls into the box.

On the plus side I thought the midfield competed well. The game was really won and lost in the fight for the second ball as neither centre forward was really able to get the ball down and put their respective side in clean possession. First half we scrapped well and won a lot of ball from those scruffy knock downs. Second half less so and Lincoln did far better than us playing into feet of a more mobile forward line, albeit only creating the one clear goal scoring chance. In fact I wouldn't have been averse to Bean coming on at 70 mins as we'd

Overall a decent point and no big surprises in the style of play or result. Lincoln look a decent side of very similar ability and approach to the game as us. Their central midfielder with long hair was absolutely excellent. Did a lot of clearing up and won a few headers. Without him I think we might have shaded the midfield battle and won the game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good point you make Uncle_T. He really didn't look as if he wanted to come on. Looked in a real sulk.