Skip to content

Match day thread: Aldershot

13»

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - Or GA has determined that the trialists are no better than what he already has. We have more or less sufficient bodies already so he just needs to upgrade some of those.

• We've lost three wide forwards and - if we don't sign Tyson or Jones or anyone else - replacing them with no-one. Given we play with a front three we can't possibly be happy with our lot at the moment. We have five forwards on the books. Two are in their mid-30s; two others are injury-prone (as is Hayes); the fifth did not excel last season. Forming three from those five every match seems a tad optimistic to me.

• Didn't realise Kashket and Stewart were to be out long term? If that is true that is terrible news. We can't rely on WDH or Muller as regulars and we will certainly need someone to play off Bayo. However, Rowe and Freeman look to be real bonuses thus far.
    If we are to push for playoffs we will need a few loanees in to cover for Kashket and Stewart. I hope Tyson signs but maybe he is injured or we don't see enough in him to offer him any terms.

• @aloysius - But we shouldn't be playing with a front three particularly if Saunders is in the team. This was shown not to work many times last season. Bearing in mind the ridiculously narrow pitch, why do we need so many wide players? If necessary Paris and Freemen can do these roles.

• @mooneyman said:
    aloysius - But we shouldn't be playing with a front three particularly if Saunders is in the team. This was shown not to work many times last season. Bearing in mind the ridiculously narrow pitch, why do we need so many wide players? If necessary Paris and Freemen can do these roles.

Pitch may not be so narrow this season...just sayin', with Saunders at the heart of things we may be lookin' to play two 'up top'? We will know a lot more on Tuesday night at home re all of the above. Let's all just stay calm until at least half time in our second game of the season, after all there is chuff all any of us can do about it.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Didn't realise Kashket and Stewart were to be out long term?

Someone mentioned elsewhere that GA said Stewart is "touch and go" for first home game.

• @mooneyman I wholeheartedly concur. I agree with the earlier suggestion of trying a 5-3-2 but reports from yesterday suggest we're sticking with the 4-3-3 system. And experience suggest Gareth Ainsworth - for all his strengths - can be a little rigid when it comes to adapting playing style and formation.

• I'd be amazed (and pleasantly surprised) if we've widened the pitch this year. Safety first does seem to be currently built into GAs DNA as a manager. Possibly to be fair as a result of the trauma of the near-relegation (and I know that doesn't work with the DNA comment but you get me gist I trust)

• How have people translated Stewart, "might" be struggling for the first game, as being out for months?
    I even saw someone on the mighty FB page throw Stewart into the "injury prone" mix of Paris and Kashket. Bit harsh

• Thanks @TheatreOfChairs unfortunately as we did not win 8 - 0 the season is over.

• Season was over when we didn't sign Ibrahimovic when he left Man U..

• We're holding out for Aguero.

• edited July 2017

Have to feel for @trevor 's other half.

'Shall we go out for a meal?'

No point. Service will be awful, the food undercooked and I'll spill something down my shirt.
    But if you're happy with all that...

• I heard from Richie that Jamie Oliver's taking over the Burger King in the Eden. Trevor could try there.

• One thing the "we need to strengthen" brigade always seem to forget is that we are in league 2 here. We're hardly up against powerhouses.

What we have is plenty, at least to start the season.

• @wendoverman I'm usually a fan of your lateral comments but I do draw the line at reality-bending. @trevor's "other half?" No member of the homo sapiens species could surely be that selfless - unlucky - undeserving. Surely

• I was assuming that @Wendoverman was referring to his split personality.

• I like to assume we are all normal. To some degree.