Skip to content

Match day thread: Aldershot

Comments

• @rmjlondon and it's raining. Things couldn't be worse.

• The cup truly doth run over!
    I am reassured though by the suggestion that Anthony St

• ......Anthony Stewart's injury could be "long term ".

• You mark Trevor's words.

• couldn't beat slough or aldershot looks like we will be lucky to be mid table this season

• Yes @Trevor, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive.

• The writing's on the wall; we're doomed I tell you.

• edited July 2017

But @rmjlondon said you can't take anything from these games apart from fitness, @trevor . I'm confused. Will you two please get your stories straight so I know in what way I am expected to be pessimistic.

• do you think there acceptable results?

• There. Their. They're. Pick one and use it wisely.

• He did half of what you said.

• Those people writing our chances off already need to have a look at themselves . I remember one pre season we won everything and looked good and got relegated another season we looked terrible and were promoted. Pre season is all about experimenting and gaining match fitness .

• Shh @OX66 you're spoiling our resident emo boys' misery.

• The reason I don't post here often, the lunatics have left the asylum.> @MindlessDrugHoover said:

Shh OX66 you're spoiling our resident emo boys' misery.

• The asylum - aka The Wycombe Fans Facebook page.

• One remarkable sight to behold from this afternoon - Max Muller's* new bleached blond barnet!
    (* sorry - not sure how to do the umlaut).

• I usually support the cloak and dagger games just before a game when it comes to injuries as (Gareth believes) it gives us an advantage over the opposition. However with 2 weeks to go till until the first ball is kicked in anger I think its a bit ripe to treat us like mushrooms when it comes to injuries.

• According to GA, Stewart rolled his ankle and is touch and go for the first game. Kashket isn't ready yet because of his condition.

• Owain Jones, the trialist winger we had, played for Yeovil today in their friendly against Frome.

Shame if we've let him go as I thought he looked very good in the Slough game.

• I'm not usually a great fan of pre-season games but I enjoyed today's game. More than anything else it was just nice to go and see some football after 10 weeks or so without a match.

It wasn't a bad game either, I'm sure I'll watch worse in the 9 months ahead.

A few observations:

We were much the better side. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the result as we were bigger, quicker, stronger and created more chances.

Don't expect much to change in the season ahead. Tactically nothing's changed and it was 4-3-3 all the way, as well as being competitive, narrow and often direct. That said, there was some good football mixed in with Southwell, Freeman and Saunders often involved.

Each season it seems that one player seems to have spent the summer bulking up. In the past that's been Blooms, Scowen and Max K. This season it looks like it's Dominic Gape who seems to have been down the gym.

Not sure Paul Hayes has been down the gym much, he seems to have enjoyed his summer and is carrying a bit of timber. He had three very good chances in the second half and didn't make much of them. Needs to get himself a bit sharper over the next two weeks.

No sign of Nathan Tyson, Owain Jones or the young goalkeeper. A co-incidence or have decisions been made?

A reasonably good 45 mins from Adam El-Abd. Early days, but I was encouraged by his desire to organise those around him and his Jason Cousins like determination to be the last man. We're not short of defenders that are drawn to the ball and having one who is drawn instead to protecting his goal would add good defensive balance.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the fringe players can make an impact in 2017/18. Southwell, Freeman and De Havilland all played 90 mins today and did well. Southwell has rediscovered his mojo and looked a threat, while Freeman offers a bit of creativity. Both deserved their goals.

Finally, Danny Rowe. In a small squad a useful utility player can be a real asset. He showed he can play at RB today (as well as CB and midfield). Heck of a run for the penalty, if he'd scored before he got fouled it would have been an early contender for goal of the season.

• For me, the ones to watch this season will be Southwell and Freeman. Young blood with a point to prove. I have a really good feeling they will show their true potential this season and show their worth. I'm gunna put my neck on the line now.... I predict Southwell will score more than Kashket over the season and that Freeman will be the impact sub that gets us all chanting for GA to get off the bench.... Sergio style.... although freeeeemaaan! Freeeeemaaan! Doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

• Yes, thanks @TheatreOfChairs good to get a decent balanced view of the game.

• Useful insights thanks @TheatreOfChairs.
    Owain Jones played for Yeovil at Frome today. Maybe a decision on his immediate future is still pending but, as a 20 year old from Wales he may well prefer Yeovil, especially as he was on loan there last season.

• Was impressed by Southwell and Freeman today. I think they could both make a big impact this season.
    Don't think we should make too much of lack of numbers yet, there's still two weeks to go and I'm sure Gareth's working on getting some good loan players in. Having said that, Kashket supposedly being injured again is incredibly frustrating. A full season of him at full fitness and I'm sure his goals could get us promotion.

• Thanks for that @TheatreOfChairs , really good to hear a nice balanced view on the game and players.
    But frankly this from @trevor must prove beyond doubt that he is just a parody account???

couldn't beat slough or aldershot looks like we will be lucky to be mid table this season

Surely nobody actually takes pre-season friendly results as a barometer for the forthcoming season?

• I thought my riposte hit the mark.

• I find it a little odd to have no trialiats left with the squad with 2 weeks to go.
    Either GA is happy with his lot which is surprising as Kashket does not look a reliable prospect or we have loans lined up.