Skip to content

Adam El Abd signs

Comments

• Anyone know why Shrews fans call us 'the wiggles'? They sure do think this signing is a dud on their forum.

• I'm going to hazard a guess and say its related to us wiggling about on the floor a lot.

• I think if this signing means Pierre is leaving, Sido moves to defensive midfielder and GAz makes Bloomy a striker, we will struggle to survive relegation, lose 8 - 0 in the (insert name here) Cup to Accrington, a red kite will carry off Luke O'nien and Paul Hayes will miss 12 penalties. What on earth are the club doing???

• edited July 2017

@Malone sure it's never good to write off a player when he signs but, you have to admit, reading that Shrewsbury board - both after he had his contract with them ripped up and after he signed for us - does not make for particularly inspiring reading.

Here's hoping we have a Gary Doherty rather than a Michael Dubbery on our hands. Only time will tell.

• The comments from them seem to suggest that he isn't an 'Ainsworth' type signing at all - ie he isnt very professional, unfit and a bit lazy. I guess time will tell. I have no idea why the call us 'wiggles'

• Ah c'mon this is great news as shurely allows "Walk like an Egyptian" to be sung from the terrace!

• I remember the likes of Wood and Bayo getting slated for being "Fat", "lazy" and "carrying too much timber" over the last couple of years. When in reality they are both ripped to shreds!
    So i wouldn't take too much notice of some internet goons moaning about their ex player now.

• Goal celebration/terrace chant written all over it.
    Let's see him play first before writing him off.
    Anyone remember how we watched Howard get sacked at half time and join us the following week ?

• By the look of Mr El Abd 'no nonsense' does indeed come to mind.

• E> @crabbie said:

Ah c'mon this is great news as shurely allows "Walk like an Egyptian" to be sung from the terrace!

excellent, look forward to bouncing around to the next line
    'do do do, dodo da do , walk like an Egyptian'

• He's got to score first. Looking at his record, that seems very unlikely.

• Wigglesworth was the linesman responsible for our ghost goal against them a few years back. Suspect this is the Wiggles reference

• I know football fans can be bitter, but a nickname based on 1 dodgy goal from ages back based on a linesman's name? Amazing!

• In a video that seems appropriate to current Gasroom 2 discussions, given that it features both a dinosaur and a section in which the cast appear to be doing the "walk like an Egyptian" sand dance thing, here are The Wiggles:

• Their show at the Aylesbury Civic Centre in 2001 was a triumph. Though there was no mention of uncompromising defenders or dodgy linesmen, it turns out Rags the Dog...he likes to tango.

• You have to remember that Shrewsbury are the club that once put out a DVD celebrating a 7-0 win against us in the JPT regionals - they're an odd bunch.

• Who the heck would buy a video of the less celebrated cup, and in an early round? Amazing

• Grant Holt may have wanted a video as a personal momento. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that is the only professional match in which he scored five goals.

• That was the same season as the ghost goal game wasn't it? Think we subsequently pipped them to third place promotion by virtue of goal difference, so can see why it might rankle a bit with them. Still, as you say, it was quite a while back now and you think they'd have got over it.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2017

Does this mean Garreth will be adopting the pyramid formation?

• Tut! And come on - don't start a load of terrible Egypt puns.

• edited July 2017

delete

• by the way, I hear we may be getting more defensive this season playing a six pharaoh formation.

• A good signing I think. People like @trevor are in de Nile

• I hear he's been driving to training in his trusty Renault. Been giving a couple of the lads a lift but they've been struggling to understand the slang that he uses.

That's right, they can't get to grips with his Clio patois

• Well I heard that he was lucky to pass a medical because of back problems - he's been seeing a Cairo-practor.

• Bad news I hear - picked up a back injury in training - been sent off to the Cairo-practor.

• Ainsworth says he's good in the air and having watched some videos I'm impressed by his Arab Spring.

• Bugger Leeds got there first. Must type quicker, me sphinx

• On another matter, I heard the toilets at the training ground need to get unblocked soon, or we could be facing a sewers crisis.