Skip to content

Fixture list released tomorrow

Comments

• People who moan about early August games always intrigue me. Is early August more popular than late August? Or July?

And games over a bank holiday? Surely that's even more of a time people want to go away? And not watch football?

• Unless they are in France (or Spain)

• "and rather enjoy football games with fewer kids at games."

absolutely appalling stuff from you Righty. I've been going to football games since I was 5 years old and I'm glad that no grumpy old bastard like you put me off

awful stuff

• @eric_plant Did you use to play football behind the terrace at the Gasworks end?

• Pre season games are better than league games, for me.

• I don't mind it at all...but I only go to home games and I'm not on my holidays. Add to that the fact am a conformist who just does what I'm told it all works out alright.

• @onlooker no, I didn't experience the delights of Loakes Park until the ripe old age of 10. By then I was smoking a pipe with the old boys in the shed down the side

• I'm happy with the middle of August to start so it's only a week or two earlier than ideal for me. But I'd prefer that to playoffs in June.

I'd rather a few more midweek games at the start and finish of the season though

• More midweekers early would make sense. Unless they clash them with the champions league stuff, which clearly reduces attendances.

• Back to alternate home and away rather than the two home two away pattern for much of last season (or at least it felt like a regular occurrence).

• @micra I noticed that too. A very welcome improvement for us and also the clubs cash flow I would guess. We seemed to go weeks at a couple of points in the season with maybe one home game in four weekends.

• The season starts in November

• About the time Oxford's will be over.

• Nothing set in stone. Obviously our three triumphant cup runs might mess with the fixture list...(I'm assuming we're not taking part in the Bucks and Berks of course...)

• Vot is zis, 'ow you say, Bucks und Berks?

• @micra I'm not entirely sure but I know there's usually a thread about being angry/sad about being in or out of it at some point.

• In the past I've been for playing in the b&b cup.... it gave a chance for youth and fringe players to show what they are all about, but these days with limited resources I now feel it's not worth risking it to play the games. Squad is too small to risk injuries in a nothing cup.

• Oh, the Berks and Bucks Cup (or Bed and Breakfast as it used to be affectionately kNown, @Wendoverman.

• @Wendoverman I propose a joint discussion about, firstly, why, as a community club, we should make the effort to take part in the B&B cup and, secondly, to complain about the ridiculous fixture congestion that happens every year and to ask what should be done about it.

I'll start:

No-one who, like me, witnessed the epic 5-4 game versus Chesham United in the 3rd round replay at Loakes Park in 1874 can ever really accept that the club can turn its back on a competition that is the lifeblood of local football. It's a poor show that a so-called community club, and the wealthiest in the county, despite what you might hear from the idiotic drones on the terraces, cannot make the commitment to support it.

Also, I'd like to get in early and predict a considerable injury crisis come February if we have anything resembling a decent cup run this season. It's the same every year. Ours is a club with extremely limited resources, despite what you might hear from the idiotic drones on the terraces, and it suffers year after year from the almost routine fixture congestion between January and March. I despair at the lack of forward thinking by a League that seems to be stuck in the 19th century in allowing this to continue to happen.

• @HCblue Jesus, just how old are you?!

• Agree though, it would be nice to enter a side into the B&B, which is an important part of our history and tradition. I can see why Gaz might prefer not to for the near future though; a competition that presumably generates little or possibly even no income and carries the risk of injury to our small squad of players.

Hopefully in the next five years or so, we will be in a position to have a larger squad, maybe even supplemented with a small development side and can start putting a team in again.

I can see why we might have to give the competition a miss for now, but I think it would be a massive shame and something of a failure in our responsibility to football in the local area if we abandon the cup for good.

• I honestly couldn't make up my mind whether your piece was deliciously ironic @HCblue or whether you are older than I thought and were watching WW in nineteen '74 and had mistyped the 8. I suspect the former. But then again there may be smaller clubs for whom the BandB does indeed represent an important part of their income and for whom a match against mighty Wycombe would be seen in the same light as we saw the trip to White Hart Lane.

• The clues are in the double drone references and the enormously contradictory nature of the two paragraphs.

I was, however, born in 1850. I remember the B&B game well as I had just come back from the Ashanti expedition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Ashanti_wars#Third_Anglo-Ashanti_War) and was on two weeks' leave.

• Someone of our older fans will probably salivate over that sort of satire

• @HCblue I was just impressed with your alternate reality in which we were playing games at Loakes Park 10 years (prior to the Mandela Effect variation to 13 years) before we were actually formed.

• @bookertease They were different times in those days. Better times.

• Much too erudite and subtle for me @HCblue and @bookertease.Permission to salivate, anyway?

• Granted.

• Our semi-professional team used to compete in the league and all the mainstream cups as well as Capital League (and cup) and B&B fixtures. We went to them all and I have particularly fond memories of CL and B&B games.

• As a Chesham United follower, I came to AP to watch them play Wycombe, with Guppy, Carroll et al., as I recall, in a B&B semi in about 1991 (really). Enjoyed the experience greatly - rather as @micra suggested earlier. That said, I don't seriously believe it's a competition we should enter. Or rather, I think it's perfectly understandable that we should not given the considerable number of fixtures we will have anyway and the lack of a reserve team.