Skip to content

Roger Johnson

Released by Charlton, could he come back here to finish his career?

Comments

• I know people enjoy a bit of speculation, but why are people always so obsessed with former players coming back? How many have ever been better, or even as good, in their second term as their first?

• John Paul PIttman was gr....oh hang on...

• Anthony Stewart and Sam Saunders spring immediately to mind.

• I'll give you Stewart, but I think Saunders has yet to fully capture that first time magic - last couple of performances suggested he will, though.

• Keith Scott?

That deal to reading was worth his return alone.

• Jamie Bates.

• Paul Hayes came, left and came back didn;t he?

• Michael Harriman

• Keith Searle

• Kevin betsy.......
    pch

• @Jonny_King Genuine LOL - played one game on loan in his first "spell" here, didn't he?

• Luke Oliver was probably better second time around.

Very sh!t rather than completely sh!t

• @bigred87 , kevin betsy? maximum LOL.

Went from absolutely rinsing every left back in the league, and giving Cole a right old going over at Stamford Bridge, to erm, just average really.

• Anton Vircavs for that magnificent performance against Slough alone. When Andy kerr was sent off, and Anton was an absolute rock in a game that pretty much secured our promotion to the football league.

• Can't believe no ones mentioned Matty Lawrence!

• Steve Guppy?

• why not bring in him for one season should be good for league two football

• Wasn't he last seen in the Indian league?

• @Onlooker, are you genuinely putting Guppy forward in answer to "players who returned as good, or better in their second spell"

Or did you just presume that people were throwing in name of players who had more than 1 spell here?

• From memory he was fairly decent when he came back. Ready to stand corrected.

• @MindlessDrugHoover Happy to confirm that was the joke.

• Geoff Anthony !!

• Jamie Bates

• No one mentioned Luke Oliver yet ??

• Anton Vircavs

• @ChasHarps, good call for Geoff Anthony. I particularly remember him playing in the 6-1 friendly win against Southend United at Loakes Park in May 1975, prior to him joining next season when he was the regular no. 7. The Third Division side only played two non-first teamers but they were overwhelmed by a fantastic, slick passing performance by the Chairboys. Anthony scored the first two and was the star of the show, one of the most skilful players we have ever had. The other thing which sticks in the mind is that, when the Southend players came out at the start, they were joking and laughing about the slope, pretending to roll down it, but the joke was soon on them.

• @Onlooker , he was an absolute star player when we had him first. Hence going straight to Newcastle!
    By the time he came back he could still turn out, and was decent yes, but that wasn't the criteria. Better or the same was.

• Understood @Malone thank you for the clarification Sir.

• Back to the original post, I think big Roger Johnson would be a good signing. We will probably have Sido and Stewart but then are very weak. Especially with cover expected to come from Muller and WDH, who are both struggling to make the standard.

• We already have too many aged and injury prone players to add Johnson to the collection. Also had had problems outside of the game particularly at Wolves.