Skip to content

Stewart & Freeman stay, Wood & Thompson leave

Comments

• @micra if Peterborough are releasing Marcus Maddison there will be Q round the block for his signature !

• It's far too early for speculations and I for one for a start want my FACTS straight from inside the club!! !!

• Not sure why you are addressing that comment to me @rmjlondon. . I've never heard of him.

• too early ? Mansfield are already signing people showing intent. its never too early.

• Not sure we'd be keen to sign "people showing intent ".

• @rmjlondon have you moved to Mansfield richie? I thought you'd be on the inside monitoring for us? I'm just confused now and that's a FACT. !!

• If they plan on using cashpoints anywhere near the ground it's important to look like they have intent @micra

• showing there intent for a promotion bid, we will be left lagging as per

• As per? We've recruited pretty damn well the last two or three years. Cheer up.

• Richie is understandably a bit "down" because his inside information is lagging behind the (unspecified) information he has gleaned regarding transfer activity at Mansfield.

• clown !!

• Have you become self-aware Dicky?

• I think Richie has every right to be "down" (hopefully not depressed - although I do worry about the lad). He has obviously heard/been told that we're not planning any 'star' recruits during the summer to replace the loss of at least two of our best players and we'll be nose-diving down the table next year

• For a start richie knows AH and GA purposely avoid buying players to secure promotion every season, and you Clowns laughed at him !! FACT !!

• Let us be fair, we simply want to achieve mid-table again. The five year plan is a load of bull shit.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Let us be fair, we simply want to achieve mid-table again. The five year plan is a load of bull shit.

Don't you just love an optimist!

• Realist. Low budget and small squad plus three or four below standard players still under contract. You also have to look at the other teams in Div 2. Many clubs are showing their intent to improve and push for top seven plus teams like Lincoln etc the entering the league.

To be honest Micra, I am pretty bored with the clubs continuous reasoning behind why we can't, I would much prefer the club to be putting out messages like we are going all out for promotion this season. If we fail then at least we have given it our best but we seem to be conditioning the fans to accept mediocrity.

I know the financial position is much improved and although I personally don't like Howard, I sincerely hope that now his attention is on the playing side, he will help get some better players in. We will see!

• I would be interested hear how @Blue_since_1990 envisages "going all out for promotion".

Is he proposing we all chip in an extra couple of hundred quid each to buy better players? Is there a mystery investor asking to be allowed to invest millions but being rebuffed? Has there been a deliberate policy of buying sub-standard players over the past few years in order to ensure a failure to be promoted. Have there been notably and unquestionably superior players available over the same period that we have knowingly declined to buy?

• No answer came the stern reply.

• I simply refer to the previously published points targets, where we seem to accept not making the top 7. Other than maybe 3/4 players we have the players to have a right go at promotion but we do not seem to apply the players in the right manner. The old argument of narrow play with pace players on the bench and time wasting hoof ball football etc etc.
    Let us see what the first half dozen games bring us in 17/18, maybe Gareth will change tactics and allow the team to play football through Saunders in midfield. With PCH and Weston out wide and a fit Kashket up front with Bayo.

• I always understood the points targets were a marker for survival and then to give us a platform for a promotion push...I never got the impression Gaz meant that was ALL we wanted. Perhaps I missed something.

• edited May 2017

We will know next season's tactics if the pitch hasn't been widened!

• @Blue_since_1990 "Playing football" and gaining promotion are not necessarily synonymous, nor is declining to do the former indicative of a lack of desire to achieve the latter. Are you conflating your wish to see promotion with your wish to see attractive, flowing football?

• We play the way we do because that's the way Ainsworth sees us maximising points - he would argue that playing that way is going all out for promotion.

We should aim to be champions every season, but not be too disappointed if we finish 10th.

• Good grief, did you ever play football yourself HCblue? I did and was also a successful local manager and my ethos was always to play attacking football and aim to be a winner every season. I do wonder about people who accept second best and are happy not to be entertained. Sad.

• Is that a "yes"?

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Good grief, did you ever play football yourself HCblue? I did and was also a successful local manager and my ethos was always to play attacking football and aim to be a winner every season.

Ainsworth out and @Blue_since_1990 in (before he's snapped up by a Premier League club). Entertaining and winning gets my vote - can't think why all the other managers aren't doing it!

I am certain that if the club said they were 'going all out for promotion, he'd be considered and forgiving in his posts if this wasn't achieved.

• @arnos_grove And the "Sad" at the end of the post show that he is also channeling the spirit of Donald Trump, another confirmed winner. This seems like a no-brainer.

• I struggle not to place anyone criticising the 5 year plan against football performance criteria into a pen marked "absolute cretin".

They seem incapable of understanding that you can have plans regarding your own off the pitch performance, financials, cost cutting etc quite comfortably. These plans are reasonably in your own hands.

But plans against performance on the pitch can only ever be judged against the other 23 clubs you're competing against, and by the sheer unpredictability of football.
    Unless you pump insane money in, like the likes of Fulham and others did In the lower leagues. And even that took a little bit of time to come to pass.

• Thank you HC. I would like old Donald's cash for starters. If I had his cash I may even buy WWFC, make DevC Chairman, arnos_grove President, widen the pitch, put seats in the home end and buy Danny Hylton and Kevin Ellison just to annoy the fans.
    I would also consider buying back the training ground and building houses on it.