Skip to content

Stewart & Freeman stay, Wood & Thompson leave

Comments

• When they do come back I hope they get the recognition they deserve and not the usual chants from the drones

• at least they'll know not to use the true fans' Tesco

• @Wendoverman Without meaning to be disloyal, I like both of them enough to hope they do come back to haunt us next season, at least a bit.

@Malone Thompson put himself about as well as he could last year, I thought. He and Hayes had to deal with an incessant barrage of high balls which neither of them were equipped to make anything of. I felt so sorry for them this time last year: they were trying their guts out but could barely get the ball down to feet, let alone do anything with it. Makes you realise how good/ immensely strong Bayo is.

• @HCblue , I think you're one of the most well considered posters on here.
    I think that's a pretty fair summary. I remember playing in footy games and the ball pinging around like a hot potato, so I can only imagine at a much higher level, with aimless punts against monster defenders how hard it could be.

I wonder why Ainsworth thought Thompson was the answer up front. Did he over focus on that "proven goalscorer" at a higher level business, despite Thompson only scoring about 8 goals the season before he joined us?

It's especially hard to work out when we had the giant and exceptionally gifted Holloway who was marginalised. I know his work ethic etc wasn't supposed to be the best, but it did seem a curious move.

You bring a Bayo in, anyone can accept he's going to replace you. But a guy who has played as a winger, is 34 and only scored a mere handful the year before? Strange.

Reminds me of the time the dreadful Eliott Benyon was depicted as "a proven goalscorer" in league 2.

• @JohnnyAllAlone , it'd take a special kind of moron to abuse Wood, after the service he gave us.
    He hasn't had a controversial move, and i'm sure he wouldn't have minded staying. So apart from some good natured gentle boos if he fouled someone, I can't imagine anyone would do anything but applaud him.

• @Malone, Thomo was Notts County Top scorer in 2014/5 with 12 goals.

• edited May 2017

I stand corrected, but not exactly incredible scenes is it?

We had a right back masquerading as a winger at times last season on 8!

We had Kashket finish on about 15/16 having played about 1/4 of the season!

• @Malone not exactly prolific I agree, however, were they not relegated that season? If so, puts a better shine to it.

• Yep, that is true @EwanHoosaami . It's just the playing his career on the wing, yet deciding he'd be a striker for us I can't understand. At the expense of Holloway, who we'd basically rehabbed for half a season and was starting to show his value.

• Never quite understood the Holloway strop at Thompson theory. Did Holloway really expect the club to go into the league season with only two strikers and he be guaranteed a place regardless of for or fitness. Had his attitude have been right, he would have started every game. It wasn't, he didn't. His talent looks likely to be wasted.

• A fair view, but could you see either Thompson or Hayes being benched at that point? the untouchable (at that stage) Hayes, or the new 2 year big wage signing Thompson?

very unlikely.

• @Malone - Unless I have missed something, Holloway hasn't really shown his value elsewhere!

• Rubbish. If Holloway had performed to his ability, he would have been first choice. he didnt then, he still doesnt I believe.

• My comment in not rubbish Dev, it is FACT.

• Very pleased to see Freeman staying, very sad to see Wood going - a great servant of the club during his time here. Will never tire of watching that goal against Morecombe. And remembering how well he played at Spurs.

Thompson gave his all, but not surprised to see him going. All in all no surprises - and great news about Stewart.

• @mooneyman , I dare say Dev's reply was to me, but yours nicked in first :-)

I'm fairly relaxed about having my view about a team I watched 30 times a season, versus our "distant expert" described as rubbish in fairness.

• I normally try to avoid controversy on here, but I've had half a Cornish Rattler so what the heck - I'll wager a shiny thrupenny bit that Aaron Holloway will be playing non league football within five years from now.

• Has he been released? I missed that, not that I was really looking. Definitely has potential, but then so do hundreds of young British professionals. Sadly I think he lacks the desire to have a long term professional career. Was having this discussion with someone, possibly Phil C, before the opening game at Crawley - he just didn't/doesn't have that desperation to do whatever it takes to get the ball over the goal-line.

See also; Jakubiak, Alex.

• Sounds like he owes his agent a pint for getting him a two year deal in the first place.

• Jason is doing a superb job parodying his own Wanderer article from this time last year. Coming to a club near you - regardless of where you live.

• Reading some of the comments about Bloomfield's abilities (or supposed lack of) on another thread, and comparing him to the likes of Banton and Holloway, I know who I'd have in the squad any day. It's not always what you do but how you do it.

• @MindlessDrugHoover, that's it. If you're winning nicely, the latter guys can no doubt turn it on with some party pieces, but when you're up against it, on some awful Tuesday night away trip up north, you can guarantee Bloomfield will be working at his maximum as always

• I think Bloomers has just had his best season for a while and is a valuable member of any team that takes to the pitch. Having players like him in the side allows the players he gets unfairly compared to the chance to do what they do.

• Fully agree with the above posts. Just because his key asset is hard work, his ability on the ball is often overlooked.

• Wondering how Jason Banton is still getting clubs. Agent must be brilliant

• Was Jason Barton that bad? Why are we so quick to decry?

• 16 different clubs at only 24 years old would seem to indicate certain shortcomings in this individual!

• Funny how Banton and Holloway were the stand out players against Plymouth in the play offs for their respective teams.
    Holloway was unplayable and Plymouth could not deal with him. Banton when he came on made a huge impact. What a waste

• Reason why our esteemed manager now tends to stick to the devils he knows.

• Banton wasn't that bad talent wise. He just didn't seem to have it in the head to maximise his ability. He was alot better than that young lad we got from Arsenal who didn't look like he'd seen a football before in his few games for us the other year.

Aaron Holloway is such a crying shame. A fantastic first touch and a body build ideal for a centre forward. Was unlucky with injuries but at the end of the day missed that spark that could turn that ability in to a performance. I'll remember his play off performances as some of the best by a Wycombe centre forward in the league era.