Skip to content

Contracts

Comments

• If both Thommo and Hayes were up for renewal I'd go for Thommo on this season's form, but can't see the point of having them both on the books.

• Loan WDH and/or Muller out. Bring a loan CB in to replace Pierre. I think Stewart will stay. Hayes to become player/coach with the aim to replace Ainsworth if/ when GA moves on. Thompson keep on reduced terms.

• I agree that WDH and Muller need to be loaned out to Conference clubs ideally.

If we can loan someone in the vein of Mawson or McCarthy from a Prem academy until Xmas, we can then review in January if one of ours should be recalled based on how they progress.

• I remember the Col Utd game when it all kicked off after the game and Bean was the only player who gave it 100 percent effort that day. Whatever you say about him he always gives his all. Wins loads of loose balls to.

• Centre back is the big issue isn't it?

1) I can't imagine both WDH and MM being here in August, depending on what else happens, one or both of them will be loaned out.
    2) Aaron Pierre won't be here.
    3) I'm a bit worried about Anthony Stewart. The two Phils on Player both said he was ready to come on in the second half, but he ended up not. I wonder if this was supposed to be a farewell for him, but Ainsworth didn't risk him because at that point it looked like we might sneak into the top 7.
    4) We've discovered that Jombati is good cover at CB, but that's about it.
    5) What about Danny Rowe?
    6) What about Charles Dunne?

On another note, we surely can't afford both Hayes and Thompson for another year, so i think the latter will be off.

• edited May 2017

5 key points in my mind

Keeper
    Starting centre back (Heard a whisper Stewart is signed up)
    Young lads with it all to prove, will we keep them? - Rowe/Southwell/Muller/Freeman/WDH
    Bean/Thompson reduced terms to stay or not?
    New signings - starters, or versatile squad players?

Unlike last season, I'd be fairly comfortable if we had to start next season tomorrow, just from the players we own.

Brown
    Harriman-Stewart-Sido-JJ
    Gape-O Nien- Saunders
    Paris Bayo Kashket

I think that's a cracking team.

With Bloomfield, 2 signings to come, Hayes, and whoever stays from points 2&3 as squad players.

• Cracking team when you replace Paris with Weston

• Weston's had a fairly underwhelming season in fairness mostly due to bad luck with the injuries. Hope to see a lot more next year.

• Weston has been the best player at the end of season, looks dangerous

• Weston playing well can only push Paris' game up a level. Much better than thinking he's a guaranteed starter.

• edited May 2017

Weston could be a big player for us next season if he stays fit. Personally I think GA will want to keep the majority of this squad. If he can get Thomo and Bean to stay on reduced terms that frees up some cash to add a couple more squad players. We do need to add depth.

Out: Rowe, Southwell and WDH on loan. AP and Wood to leave.

In: Centre half to replace AP, 2 new squad players, back up keeper to Brown or another loanee as first choice.

It's a great thing in the lower leagues to keep squads together. How many clubs in League 1 & 2 have new squads almost every year.

• 1 on each wing playing 442 is what I've wanted all season

• weston all day over paris

• I really hope we keep Freeman. No point signing him & help his development if we don't see it through. I like the way he keeps the ball and have a feeling that him and Saunders could be a real asset at this level & hurt teams with killer passes behind defences to Weston & PCH.

• Finishing the season with 19 players already under contract for the following year has to be seen as a positive. It makes for a strong foundation to build on over the Summer. A couple of new seasons have been started with that number of players, including some late signings and loans.

• Could you just map out for me what a team may look like with Freeman, Saunders, Weston and PCH all playing, ewan

• Freeman has been decent @EwanHoosaami and another season in full time football should only help him. He does need to get a lot more game time though.

• @DevC hmmmm, I must admit I'm struggling myself with that one? As it would leave no place for Bloomfield, Gape or Onien.
    Any takers folks, as it appears I've gone Gormanesque and gone for the, "you score 4 then we'll score 5" style!

• They don't all need to be in the same 11 but they all certainly add something to the squad.

• I'd give Southwell another year to prove himself. He was unlucky this time with being out with a long term injury.

• Since signing full time PCH's game can be summed up in three steps.
    Takes player on - fails
    Dives - sulks for not getting a free kick
    Gets booked

He needs to have a litttle rethink over the summer and fund where old Paris went.

• Beans must stay.

• Strange that some people rate Bean so highly. I've never seen a professional player so incapable of controlling the ball. He plays like he has dyspraxia.

He's great at breaking up play because its so unpredictable where the ball will ping off him.

• edited May 2017

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/ainsworth-reveals-contract-decisions-3711277.aspx

Thommo and Wood to go. Stewart and Freeman to stay. Pierre and Bean in discussion

• @bill_stickers said:
    Strange that some people rate Bean so highly.

I feel much the same about Matt Bloomfield. I just don't get what he gives on the pitch.

For me, he's usually to be found giving his all a few seconds behind the play. But better minds than me obviously see something different.

I would have the Bean in the side before him. I fully expect to be roundly abused!!!

• edited May 2017

Pathetically circular argument - twat.

Happy now Arnos.............

Some of the players will no doubt surprise on the upside next season, one or two will disappoint. Suggest we give them all a fair chance to impress.

As it stands not unsurprisingly team is notably weaker with (probable) loss of arguably two best players in Pierre and Blackman. Key as ever will be who comes in and how do they settle.

• All players have dips in form. If you just looked at Bean's last 6 performances say against Gape's last 6, you would say that Bean was the better player. Clearly overall that would be a false rating.

• It worries me a little that Paris has slipped from quality winger who makes a real difference at this level, to almost being set up to be the next whipping boy.

Bean i think is one of those necessary players for league 2. You get a few games against teams that let you play football, and he looks a bit out of place, but in a lot of games it's ugly and you need that physical force.

Bloomfield has a bit more finesse than a lot give him credit for. I always remember the England U19 part. I think he's a purer player than can be seen at times amongst the general scuffling. Certainly a very good squad player if not starter

• @arnos_grove said "he's usually to be found giving his all a few seconds behind the play."

No abuse from me, I've thought that for a few years now.

• @Malone Re Paris: though I've no desire to create a whipping boy, nor to get on the wrong side of Righty, since you bring him up, I wanted to say that I regretted that he replaced Weston on Saturday and that he did nothing after coming on to counter that regret. Where Weston plays as a winger, wide and keen to take players on, Paris has contributed little that I can recall since the winner against ?Newport around January. In addition, his defensive work has been sub-standard and he doesn't exactly lift the mood of the team with his energy.

Maybe injuries have stifled him lately, but I'm hoping to see a lot more from him next season. Or else.