Skip to content

Contracts

Just my opinion on those out of contract

Pierre - leave

Hayes - 1 year deal

Thompson - leave

Bean - 1 year deal

Wood - seems to have gone off the radar and didn't do the lap of honour today?

Stewart - 3 year deal

Freeman - leave

Comments

• I was disappointed Sam Wood wasn't there for the lap of the pitch at the end. It clearly appears he is on his way elsewhere and it would have been nice to have had the chance to show appreciation for his efforts over the past few years.

• Totally agree @Uncle_T.

• Hayes still has another year on his current contract.

Only 6 players out of contract and Wood and Pierre seem like dead certs to go, so only 4 players where a decision has to be made. A record low from previous seasons?

• For me, one of the trickiest is the Nick Freeman situation. I suppose there are parallels with the Danny Rowe situation and, if GA still rates him, he may be loaned out at least until the January window. I personally would be sorry to see him go.

• The big one is Stewart really hope he signs. I would keep freeman as very young would be cheap and from what ive seen clearly has alot of potential. Will be intresting to see what happens on the goalkeeping front hope Brown gets a chance but would also like us to have a back up on the bench. You never no with Thompson and Bean as Ainsworth clearly rates them wouldnt be surprised if both stayed.

• edited May 2017

I think Ainsworth values stability. I think every member of the squad will be here next season bar Pierre, Blackman and Wood. Bean prevaricated quite a long time over his new contract last summer which suggests he was asked to take a pay cut, I assume he will be reasonably cheap to re-sign. I suspect Thompson will also be offered reduced terms and will take them - there's a certain realpolitik at play here with a 36yo who simply won't be able to command big money at any club who might want him. I suspect both will be asked to take on more of a coaching role as well with a view to maybe going full time in 2018/9.

Wood's non-show yesterday does speak volumes though. Be interesting to see where he pitches up next.

I also think GA will sign Charles Dunne. He does love a prodigal son. A suitably chastened Dunne, a big, athletic, tall option at either left back or left sided central defence, is just what he needs. I also get the impression Gaz enjoys having previous rebels come back and act all supplicant, it must massage the ego slightly and send a signal to the wider footballing community that he is someone who can really manage difficult personalities.

• edited May 2017

Have their been any 'prodigal sons' other than Stewart? Assuming you mean players who left under a cloud rather than just because their loan expired.

• JJ left back (Sido can cover)
    Harriman right back (Sido again)
    Centre :
    Stewart
    WDH
    Muller
    Sido

Signing Dunne would be a waste especially as he has hardly ripped up trees since he left us.

I'm guessing loanee similar to McCarthy or Mawson.

• Bean can also cover full back in an emergency.

• Loanees similar to McCarthy and Mawson don't grow on trees. But one would indeed be very nice. We've had some top quality long term young loanees in recent seasons haven't we?

• If Woody is on his way it was a shame he didn't do a lap of honour he certainly deserved one

• Talking of Mccarthy, he was at the game yesterday with max (krech) I won't try spelling his name........ be a touch to Mccarthy back

• @bigred87 said:
    Talking of Mccarthy, he was at the game yesterday with max (krech) I won't try spelling his name........ be a touch to Mccarthy back

Absolute zero chance...he won walsall player of the season in league 1....think a championship team for both him and blackman....we have been very lucky and privaligised to have them both at our club over the last 2 seasons

• I will be disappointed if Freeman goes. He's shown potential in the few outings afforded him so far. If he fits in with the team 'togetherness' I see no reason to ditch him.

• Seems like Ainsworth has stuck on much of the squad he already has. I think all bar Wood will be offered deals and in all honesty I think Wood should be offered one. Who signs is then down to the player and the offer. He's not given himself much movement to add quality and refresh an aging squad. No youth team doesn't help that process.
    Who fills the two first choice centre back roles in September is the key for me. I really hope I didn't see Aaron Pierre's last Wycombe game yesterday. He's not a definite leaver for me like he seems to be for others.

• @Chris I agree that Mawson and McCarthy are exceptional players but what is in our favour is that the U23 league is full of players that are not good enough for the PL at the moment but are technically gifted. We are proving season after season that we can develop players and therefore if GA has the research it should be easier than it once was to pick up a quality defender.
    Attitude is the key. McCarthy and Mawson had brilliant attitudes and have been rewarded in their careers. Alex Jukubiak on the other hand......

• I'm probably going to go against the majority here, but I'll be disappointed if we offer a Bean a new deal. He could hardly complete a pass for a lot of the season, and although he's been good the last couple of games, it looks suspiciously like he's been playing for a contract for me.

I'd also say the same with Thompson, although that's mainly because I suspect he's one of our larger earners, and would only re-sign if we could get him on greatly reduced terms.

• That 2 yard lay off he attempted to Harriman that flew past him into touch without bouncing was quite extraordinary.

Actually shows how good he is at the other stuff he does that he's had a long, successful career in the game

• @Last_Quarter - I would certainly keep Bean, but use him more selectively. He should only be selected when we are playing a better footballing side where his ability to break up play is useful. Also similarly, to come on near the end when we want to protect a lead. Also good back up as cover at full back.

• @mooneyman so a useful guy to have in the squad then! I was sitting near a group of Bean haters in the Beechdean yesterday. They were sat in the 'hospitality' seats and were apoplectic when Bloomfield was subbed off (injured?) rather than Bean.

• Bean and Thommo can both do a decent job for us, but we can't be aiming for decent.

They need to be let go. Surely better options will come up in the summer?

• Agreed on bean we have gape and Rowe who can play there and o'nien if necessary so plenty of cover the money would be better used elsewhere as for thommo he works hard but not good enough for me if we're trying to get promoted imagine he's on quite a high wage as well so could hopefully use that money to improve the 1st team

• Gaz has dropped Gap and O'Nein in favour of Beano over recent weeks, the former having had a truly terrible end to the season.

• Regardless on form their head and shoulders above bean

• i agree ... Bean and Thommo to go for me. Bean has suddenly started playing well just as his contract is up for renewal, strange that ... wheres he been the rest of the season ?!?!

• I think Gape has just been completely exhausted, and drained of all energy. Only used to u21 football where you may not have a game for a fortnight. Suddenly this season he's playing men's football and was playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday for that spell in February.

• I thought Thompson was a cert to be released. Many of us were rueing the fact he had a second year to come at the end of last year.

But then you look and see he made 50 appearances this season, is a decent squad player when not played in his non favoured striking position, then all of a sudden if he's keen, and we can agree lesser terms, I could see him staying on now.

He seemed to be doing an extended walk round the ground applauding fans before the official one though, wonder if that can be read into?

Bean, is only 32, and has had a little resurgence late on. I wonder too if what seemed a definite release might now be an extension too.

If Gareth says we're "keeping 99%" of the squad, then Wood and the very likely Blackman and Pierre out would suggest no more outs.

Bring a keeper in/go with Brown, and bring 2 players in and we're in good shape.

• Gape was absolutely fantastic at the start of the season. His performance against Spurs was just outstanding. However, I did notice a huge drop in form at the end of the season. As another poster said, he looked exhausted and low on confidence. He definitely has the ability though.

• Lots of questions...

What to do with De Havilland and Muller who both are contracted for next season (especially the former who seems a long way from required standard).
    What to do with Hayes (clearly no where near fit enough to make an impression)
    Does Thompson stay for another year or has she meant he is too big a risk (on presumably high wages)?
    Is Bean good though to stay (again his wages are no doubt higher than others)?
    What happens if Pierre and/or Stewart leave?
    What to do about keeper situation (although Brown's outstanding form for Cheltenham surely makes that a no brainer).

• The only one i would let go is Thompson. Yes his form has improved at the end of the season but while he's still a Wycombe player Ainssworth will be tempted to start him to the detriment of the team like at Morecambe, i'd love gto know the percentage of games he's started that he's been subbed by the hour mark because he's made no impression.