Skip to content

Match day thread: Mansfield

Comments

• No defensive cover on the bench - only Bean able to drop back of the 11 who start. Interesting. Has Will de Havilland fallen so far from grace he's even out of the squad? And what's happened to Max Muller? Injured again?

• A win today and results go in our favour elsewhere we could be sitting in the play offs by this evening! COYB!

......glass half full.

• Horrible first half.

• We are awful

• I remember when we named a bus after Ainsworth, a bit premature if you ask me.

• Disappointing but hardly a train wreck of a season, especially considering the cup runs.

• Quick rant then I am shutting down for fear of exploding.

Can't think of a positive today. Inept is not the word. Could not string two passes together in a heartless display that got what it deserved.
    Ainsworth needs to take a long hard look at his a) selection b) tactics (google the word) and c) subs. All were terrible.

The day was summed up by that useless striker from Watford the name I can't even be bothered to try and spell. Bottling the like I can't recall seeing in the professional game. O'Nein told him so and I hope he never wears the shirt again.

Happy Easter one and all.

• A few games ago Jakubiak started, played crap and then sulked off when we were losing today.

Today he got a chance from the bench, albeit very late on, and his only contribution was to duck out of the challenge with the ball waiting to be nodded in. All he needed to do was throw his body at it and bundle it over. I can forgive any player for lacking ability but that total absence of commitment is not acceptable.

Send that waste of skin back to Watford and don't invite him back.

That aside, a big improvement. The fight was back, the midfield and defence fairly solid.

Sadly the lack of a plan B, delayed subs and general absence of attacking imagination cost us.

Shameful effort from the referee to counter time wasting. I long for a 1 hr game played to a stop-clock.

• Earlier in the season this would have been viewed as an unlucky defeat. A touch of offside about their goal and two very good saves from Akinfenwa headers to deny us an equaliser.

However, at this stage it was another poor show. Again started slow and slightly disorganised - how they didn't get a second when we had to make a double block inside the six yard box I don't know.

We lacked urgency until about the 75 minutes gone and why oh why did GA wait so long before making the subs?

• I like Ainsworth, but eventually he's going to have to win a big game.

• We still haven't won a home league game since early Feb. We look devoid of ideas Real poor end to the season.

• Dreadful stuff. Jakubiak's 'effort' at the end summed the whole pitiful performance. A real sense in the pub that the current regime is entering the last chance saloon - sad as that is.

Meanwhile, the fake news outlet WWFC official refers to 'a dominant second half display from Wycombe'.

I need a lie down.

• @arnos_grove the current regime aren't going anywhere though are they? Andrew Howard is perfectly satisfied with the way thing are.

• @floyd said:
    arnos_grove the current regime aren't going anywhere though are they? Andrew Howard is perfectly satisfied with the way thing are.

True. And I don't really want them to. Just wish they'd step off this negative path and head towards the light. We have played good stuff under him before, just hope we can again.

• That's the most frustrating thing isn't it? We've played some lovely stuff under Ainsworth, where's that gone?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They went to Barnsley.

• Ainsworth out

• Utter garbage today. The lad from Watford should never put the shirt on again after bottling that chance. Something needs to change in the off season as the football on offer is woeful. I'm sure the queues for season tickets was huge after that performance.

• Agreed with all postings. That wa another woeful performance. I was watching the warmup, they looked really good on the short passes to feet it was great. What a shame they don't use that in the game. Sad ending to the season. Ps subs on far to late and again and show no impact

• this wont be popular with some... but i really do think we need a change, to freshen things up. It needs it, face it, we play ugly unattractive football 90% of the time (what ever happened to rock and roll football ?) Were never going to attract more fans playing the way we do ... never !!

Similar to the Arsenal situation...except we havnt got as much money ! ... things just need to change and refresh .

• edited April 2017

An abysmal performance today in truth, yes the keeper made a couple of good saves but we really were aimless and poor. I echo the sentiments about Jakubiak, the simple lack of effort, commitment and fight to turn his back on that header was disgraceful - I'd be sending him back to Watford tomorrow morning.

One other thing - looking at the limited minutes as well as the way in which this side is currently set up by GA to play, if I was Sam Saunders then I'd be wondering why the hell I had signed up. Someone must have sold him an awful lot of bollocks to sign on that dotted line.

• Is this Sanchez mark II?

• Like at the end of last season, it's clear we need a rethink in the summer.

@fame_46 , is onto something with the struggling against what are basically uglier more hardcore versions of ourselves. Mansfield had a huge back 4, and 2 big centre mids, plus an obligatory big striker. They had enough to hold off our powerful players, even the Beast bar a couple of headers.

Not sure how that weak lovely haired guy up front gets into their manager's thinking. He seemed the absolute opposite of what the rest of the team are.

Some big work again for Ainsworth In the summer.
    Player wise, we have some of the below to sort out.

Thompson and Bean must be gone
    Wood, can he be kept on again? He's not had the poor season of last year, but instead has been a mere fringe player for a lot of it.
    Saunders and Hayes - are they going to realistically be able to turn out regularly for us? Or do we now have 2 top end earners, a bit physically shot away?
    Pierre has to be off, will Stewart? We've seen neither Muller or WDH are anywhere near being reliable starters, so that's a big recruitment needed there too.
    Keeper - is Brown going to be first choice?
    Kashket/Paris - how do we manage/keep both fit?

• Saunders looked isolated from squad today from the first warm up through to the last sub being used. He must wonder what he is doing here. Add the disappearance of WDH today I worry about the man management at work.

The Watford guy (I'm another who hasn't remembered his name due to his lack of effort) was a disgrace once more. I'm sure any one of us in the ground would have put our bodies on the line for what was a great chance.

Not much to say about the game apart from same old, same old. Another season fizzles out with injuries, tiredness and a hopeful thump up the pitch. A kid a quid game falls flat once again. Another call to arms for season tickets fizzles out.
    I didn't think we were awful but once again I did think we were boring. Most teams, cheat, moan and timewaste there way through a hoof by numbers game plan in our league.

• Akinfenwa staying until 2018 announced at dinner

• BTW, Saunders confirmed today that he had been injured last week and only returned to training yesterday, so he didn't expect to take much of a part in today's game. That aside, we were very poor and I agree with previous posters that something needs to change.

The big issue I feel is that we do not seem to have any ambition to get out of this league at all. I appreciate that we have been near extinction and we needed to stabilise the financial elements but this is not an ice cream business and football is meant to be entertaining for the paying customers. We cannot continue to produce rubbish football and expect the supporters to always put on their rose coloured glasses.

What exactly did we spend the supporters transfer fund on? Saunders, who is pretty much played out of position when he is fit. PCH, who is hardly ever fit. Jakubiak who is absolutely useless and young Dom Gape who is struggling to fit into the terrible hoof-ball style Ainsworth prefers.

Ainsworth appears to be one dimensional with his style of play and is tactically poor. He seldom makes a sub before 70 minutes on the clock and hardly ever changes formation during a game. I cannot see Ainsworth leaving though as long as the current Chairman runs this club. Oh sorry, I forgot it is a fan owned club.

I expect the Ainsworth worshippers to jump in here but let's face it, no home wins since 4th Feb in the league is hardly CV enhancing stuff.

• Saunders appeared to get told to prepare to come on twice, only to be told to sit back down again when Mansfield beat them to making a sub. I feel sorry for the guy.

Mixed feelings on Bayo's extension too, can't help wondering if we're playing this turgid hoof ball every week because Ainsworth thinks that's how to get the best out of him. Ironically, he's much better when the ball is played to his feet, than when it's constantly played 18 inches above his head.

• I don't think there are many 'Ainsworth worshippers' here these days are there?

• Silver linings for today:

1. Sido was brilliant.
    2. I didn't buy a Barnet ticket so I can spend my bank holiday Monday doing something much more entertaining, like testing which eye hurts the most when I stick a pencil in it.