Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

Comments

• @North_of_the_Border said:
    Dreadful performance. I got so annoyed with my own moaning that I left 15 minutes before full time. Last time I did that it was Stevenage away

So quite recently then...

• Quote of the season " This is the best squad I have had @ Wycombe" Sorry Gareth I have a lot of time for you as a man but that was utter crap

• Best squad in terms of numbers maybe. Roll on another season in League 2 by the looks of it.

• Make the most of it, playing like that we won't be there for long.

• I'm sorry but with the players available today 4-3-3 simply doesn't work. Every time Bayo flicked the ball on both Weston & Jakubiak were too wide to benefit.

Personally, in order to stop us getting overrun in midfield I'd have played 3-5-2 today with De Havilland, Muller & Jombati as a back three with Harriman & Jacobsen pushing on as wing-backs in midfield with Gape, O'Nien & Saunders making up the five. If Jakubiak & Bayo were closer together maybe Jakubiak (who has a terrific shot) might benefit.

For game after game at home we hardly ever test the visiting keeper. Something has got to change. Cue Plan B.

• I think you are spot on Mr Warboys.

• Normally people complain that we have no Plan B. Today we can complain that we didn't even have a Plan A either! That was a game with absolutely no bloody structure whatsoever.

• GA: "It looks like we'll need to win at least five of the remaining games, but we're optimistic. There's more twists & turns to come."

Leyton Orient - A - Should win.
    Cheltenham - H - Should win.
    Mansfield - H - Possible draw.
    Barnet - A - They are on good form - I think we will lose.
    Doncaster - H - I think we all fear the outcome of this one !!
    Morecombe - A - Should win.
    Cambridge - H - Possible draw.

70 points at best - is this good enough for a play off place? I think I recall a few seasons ago 69 points getting the final play off place ?

• Dire game County were poor but luckily for them we managed the almost impossible task of being worse. Should have been a draw as it was a penalty but we wouldn't have deserved it.
    Anyone else notice the young Asian lads in blue tracksuits who turned up at half time I wonder if they ran a competition on the coach to guess what sport they'd just watched

• 70 points should see us in 7th place @Ceefax_Striker but some tough games to come. Lose next week and i think it's game over for this season to be honest.

• Have been offered work in Holland, but it clashes with the play-off dates. Was holding off in case, will be confirming attendance with the clog dancers on Monday morning 1st thing. Can't justify the loss of potential income any longer.

• We were beaten today by a pub team, which just shows how poor we were. Usual tactics of lumping it forward to Bayo just didn't work - oh for some football on the deck. Ref was rubbish, as is usual. How galling to be matched in the dark arts...County just didn't need to engage in all the time wasting....the midfield today was really poor, and both Gape and O'Nien had shockers. Just can't see us near the play offs to be honest. An awful game, really awful.

• @Stead30 said:
    We could of gave you a extra 10 mins you wouldnt of scored or had a shot

Ok you came ,you saw,you drunk our beer, you conquered,now fuck off and stop gloating

• @Stead30 Unlike braywanderer not all Wycombe fans feel the need to abuse others just because we perform badly. Ignore him and enjoy your victory - life's too short to have it any other way.

• @Twizz said:
    Stead30 Unlike braywanderer not all Wycombe fans feel the need to abuse others just because we perform badly. Ignore him and enjoy your victory - life's too short to have it any other way.

It's meant in jest please don't take offence

• The only positives I can think of:

Muller and De Hav seem to be improving gradually with game time. Despite a non-existent midfield in front of them and a tricky centre forward to deal with in Stead , I thought both did ok. Muller's efforts to carry the ball forward and put balls into Bayo's feet in the first half were a useful basis from which to attack, although sadly the forward players made little use of the opportunity.

Freeman looked lively, although in the circumstances he didn't have to do much to be amongst the top performers. There really is very little to lose now so why not give him a chance from the off next week. Jakubiak had that opportunity today and did nothing to illustrate that he deserves the chance again. He then had the arrogance to sulk off and trudge down the line, wasting our own time at 1-0 down. Ship him back to Watford on Monday.

That aside, a piss poor display.

• Agreed on Freeman @Glenactico he looked ok in pre season but hasn't had a sniff since. May as well give him a run out as he will be wanting to impress.

• I actually though that the ref was one of the best I've seen for a while. I didn't think it was a penalty at the time - it looked to me that Weston made a calculation that he wouldn't reach the ball in time and went down - but he should probably have been booked for a dive. Or more likely I got it completely wrong.

But I liked how the ref made it perfectly clear what he expected and for two of the 'dirtiest' teams in terms of bookings there wasn't too much wrong today. Although that may just be that we really couldn't be bothered.

But that, and a cracking save from Blackman, is about it for good things to say about today. Nice to see Hayes back telling everyone what to do though.

• GA is ridiculously stubborn with his formation and that has been our downfall this second half of the season.
    Whatever you call the formation the narrow midfield and lack of using wingers as wingers is what costs us.
    Jakubiak is one of the least effective loan players I can recall and gives no more to the team than players that are 'ours'.
    The width of the pitch has been mentioned a few times so clearly this was the plan in the summer. Well it ain't a lot of fun.

• I'm fed up.

• @bookertease That's how I read it. My mates I was watching the game with thought Weston had been tripped, though to my eye I thought he had started to go down before any contact could have been made by the keeper or a defender.
    I can only assume that's the judgement the ref has made, and decided he couldn't be 100% sure it was a penalty. Therefore no penalty and no yellow card for simulation (the yellow being for dissent as far as I could tell).

• Only season ticket holders and a diminishing band of diehards will have the will to come to Adams Park if the team doesn't start playing football on that perfect pitch. I've never previously felt so despondent about the immediate future and the frustration is compounded by the fact that yesterday was so unexpectedly dire.

• I'm not so sure about the perfect pitch narrative. I thought the high bounce has come back and it was pretty bobbly in areas on the odd occasion the ball his the ground. I agree totally that it was another really hard watch yesterday though. Well done to the club for asking season ticket holders to bring others along. Not sure that will work again

• While I understand trying to increase the supporter base by giving diehard season ticket holders incentives time and time again the team performance is so poor. I fear even season ticket holders may not support the club in the future if the quality does not improve.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - I agree regarding the pitch. It seemed rock hard with the ball bouncing way too high and not running smoothly which was encouraging the hoofing from both sides. This and the narrow pitch is not condusive to playing proper football.

• I didn't see any bobbling and high bounces are inevitable when the ball lands from a height of 50 feet. There were two brief passages (less than a minute each) when the ball was passed on the deck and they both culminated in near misses.

• More accurately, I should have said that I recall two such brief passages of play. There may have been others and I'd welcome comments from anyone who saw the match differently.
    50 feet is probably a slight exaggeration.
    The stiff breeze didn't help but it wasn't one of those days when goalkeepers cannot reach the halfway line with their goal kicks. Both were getting the ball into the opposition half against the wind.

• @johnthehair said:
    While I understand trying to increase the supporter base by giving diehard season ticket holders incentives time and time again the team performance is so poor. I fear even season ticket holders may not support the club in the future if the quality does not improve.

Time and time again? What have I been missing?

• Aah, did you mean to put a comma after "incentives" @johnthehair?

• I remember a couple of times we got the ball down and worked half decent situations. I remember because two goons around me were howling for the players to get it forward.

I thought the pitch was too bouncy and was certainly bobbly in some key central areas. Doesn't make it impossible to play but is a factor. I don't suppose we'll know if we found it hard to bring the ball down or just didn't bother. Just two memorable passages of play could suggest either.

I'm don't for one minute think it will change under the current manager and I'm not asking for a change of manager. The only way it will get better is if we play fit players in the key positions and our centre forward and main box to box midfielder played injured yesterday.

It was grim stuff yesterday but I get the impression the players played the system they were asked to if we'd scored when we should have done in the first half might have sneaked the win.

Finally I was pretty disappointed in Weston over the penalty incident. I thought he should have been stronger and scored.