Skip to content

EFL survey - Wycombe

13»

Comments

• I have some degree of sympathy for the sports journalists at the Blackshirt. My work has a copy of that rag delivered everyday, and as unreadable and vomit-inducing the front of the paper is, the sports section is generally devoid of the shrill, cynical and reactionary bollocks that the rest of the paper is (quite rightly) pilloried for.

I can understand @Midlander taking umbrage that people on here are unwilling to co-operate with the two journalists' attempts to canvass the opinion of supporters, though I'm afraid that the baggage of the thoroughly deserved negative reputation that the 'front' of their employer's paper has is always going to follow them around.

Just like a journeyman footballer playing for MK Franchise is just doing a job for an employer that they might not particularly like, they have to earn their corn somehow. I'm sure lots of contributors to the Gasroom have worked or currently work for employers that they don't like and/or are negatively thought of by many people.

• My employer didn't wage a three decade long crusade to dump us out of Europe and demonise great swathes of the population.

• I'm not sure about the Daily Mail. I have tried it a few times but it's not really all that absorbent.

• Oh the poor, plucky daily mail. How will it cope? It's never been nasty to anyone ever. It doesn't deserve this.

Jesus wept!!!

• Could have been worse, could have been the Guardian!

• People should be angry at anger? Really?

• @Lloyd2084 No one has dumped us out of Europe - we are leaving the EU. Thankfully!

• Sorry, I work in Europe so have a very different perspective to that Tewkesbury. What people don't see by just consuming UK news is that we look as daft and delusional to the Europeans as Trump's America looks the us.

Either way I think we can agree a paper with the circulation of the Mail had an influence on the referendum result.

• What is the newspaper of choice for those who want a fair unbiased balanced news source?

• @Right_in_the_Middle I'm not sure there is one. Express, Star, Mail, Telegraph, Times and Sun are all fairly right wing. Guardian and Mirror are fairly left wing. BBC try to position themselves as down the middle but don't always come across as that.

• And I guess that is part of the point/problem isn't it? Each media outlet has there own demographic that they service to ensure readership and advertising revenue. Those that buy the Mail regularly do so for that version of the truth. As with lots of things there are those that hate that view, those that believe it and a whole load in the middle who don't really worry about it.

• The BBC does a fairly good job of maintaining impartiality despite the odd slip up.

The best proof of this is that the left thinks it has a right wing bias, and vice versa.

• It's become harder and harder to find good quality, impartial news, particularly since The Independent ceased to exist in print form, but at least the Times and Telegraph attempt some rational discourse. The Mail simply prints Dacre's bigoted view of the world as fact. Possibly the most admirable cause The Mail has pursued in more recent years has been that of Stephen Lawrence's killers, but even that was mostly down to Lawrence's dad having worked for Dacre.

• The best thing to do is access a wide spectrum as no media outlet in print or on the tellybox can possibly be completely acceptable to all. Impartiality is in the eye of the beholder...therefore you can parade the obvious lies and distortions of UKIP and Trump before their diehard supporters who will just blink and say 'Out means out it's as simple as that' or 'Trumpcare will be better than Obamacare because it's got Trump in the title.' But the fact that the Mail targets the most unpleasant underbelly aspects of our society, fuelling irrational fear and hatred to attract readership and revenue is why I don't like it. I like the Sport in the Torygraph, the Obits in the times, and the Culture in the Guardian myself and never read columnists as, right or left, they tend to be self-righteous and controversial for the sake of it, which get on my nerves

• Possibly the most admirable cause The Mail has pursued in more recent years has been that of Stephen Lawrence's killers, but even that was mostly down to Lawrence's dad having worked for Dacre.

Entirely down to Neville Lawrence having once tiled Dacre's bathroom apparently, before this was uncovered the Mail's "journalists" had been sent out to dig up dirt on the Lawrences.

• Indeed @drcongo And they keep on referring to that one case over and over again...we can't be racist because we once did this. Years ago. And it was for one of them black people.

• Although the Independent has ceased to be, the little sister paper is still going strong and although I don't buy it regularly it is similarly even-handed in it's reporting.

• I like i. Cheap too. Not sure news can be partial or impartial @MindlessDrugHoover. Comment can.

• It can be skewed in the way it's presented to lend bias. Just the language that is used in news can affect how it is perceived (one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter and all that).

• I think we are entering the world of semantics. And I'll still read the Sunday Sport section of the Mail on Sunday when Mrs Micra hands it to me, mainly for the mass of stats but I miss Patrick Collins column. Can't remember the name of the fella who took over from him (which says it all I suppose - my poor memory and his lack of memorability.)

• Misread that @micra and thought you were a Sunday Sport 'reader'.

• How about asking Kim K?

• Not sure news can be partial or impartial

In the words of the great Robert Evans - "There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth."

• An interesting slant @fairweather and I'm impressed that you joined the motley Gasroom crew specifically to offer your suggestion! Hope to hear from you again, preferably about our beloved football club.

• edited March 2017

@drcongo said:
    In the words of the great Robert Evans - "There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth."

Wise words

• Really? Wouldn't have thought that would apply to every story!