Skip to content

Eight Games Left

Comments

• It's amusing that we had no chance of signing Pierre and he has been leaving more or less since he got here! It is definately crunch time and the teams above us all have quite tricky fixtures to negotiate. Wouldn't it be nice to face one of the favourites, already demoralised by their poor end of season form in the play-offs?

• Our real chance is that we have this 4 game spell v low teams. If we could build some momentum from that run, who knows.
    Could we emulate Wimbledon last year? A late run and winning it?

At least our chairman might want us to win it this year!

• Talking of such things, I heard Oxford's owner Darryl Eales interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago saying Oxford couldn't afford to get promoted to the Championship

• @Malone @MindlessDrugHoover glory aside...sometimes without a sugar daddyski, an oil magnate or a mad British businessman who has money to burn an owner/chairman sighing about the cold hard financial facts is going to be a fact of life for a lot of clubs!

• I can see that there isn't necessarily a huge gain financially from league 2 to 1, but to hear similar to the championship? That sounds quite worrying.

• @Malone said: ............................ As for next year, we all like to be positive, but Blackman, Pierre and maybe Stewart gone, Saunders, Hayes and even Kashket injury reduced, erm, i'd not be too confident!

From what @HCblue heard recently regarding the chronic nature of his condition, the omens for Scott Kashket (very sadly) may be worse than for the other two. The medical team at Wycombe (and the medical services available from outside sources) are second to none and I sincerely hope that they will be able to work miracles.

• Indeed. There are a lot of big clubs up there who would sell out the stadium I would have thought.

• @ChasHarps well that's my opinion if it's the very best Big Tel or Johnson, Williamson or AP but I put a lot of store in attitude effort and appreciation of what we as supporters turn up for and MR had that in spades and I think my point still stands for MM

• Matt Bloomfield's pelvic shear injury put him out of action for a little over twelve months; from mid-August 2012 through to the end of August 2013. In my opinion, his best performances for Wycombe have come in the period after the long injury lay-off.

I am hoping for a similar story with Scott Kashket, but good care and the patience to allow him to fully recover without rushing him back too early will be crucial.

• edited March 2017

@micra, appreciate your cheery optimistic approach, but do you really think Wycombe's medical set up is actually the best out of any?! I'd say we're second to tonnes of set ups! Even at this level.

@uncle_t, an opinions game, but i'd say Bloomfield's heyday was the early days where he was an automatic pick. In the latter half of his Wycombe career there have been many spells supporters have really moaned at his inclusion. He's done well to fight those off with his spells to get back in the team, but early day Bloomfield was better for me.

Kashket will be an interesting one. He was obviously fit enough with this condition to get through a decent medical (you'd hope), so this actual injury must be on top of the condition that needs managing. Therefore, as he played so many in a row before, once over this injury, hopefully he can do the same again.
    Simplistic, but logic? Either way, absolutely no point rushing him over these 8 games, if there's any risk he's not properly back.

• @Morris_Ital Central defenders i would place above Rogers in no particular order. Jamie bates,Big Tel, Williamson,Will Antwi,Pierre,Anthony Stewart,Anton Vircavs,Glyn Creaser,Matt Crossley,Steven Taylor,Jason Cousins (when switched to cb in his later years) Paul McCarthy,Gary Doherty,Dave McCracken,Michael Forsyth,Richard Keogh,Adam Hinshlewood.
    But like you said, its all about opinions.

• Leon Johnson, Matt Crossley, Alan Phillips, Keith Mead, John Delaney Keith Barrett...........

• Leon Johnson, Matt Crossley, Alan Phillips, Keith Mead, John Delaney Keith Barrett...........

• I'll never get on Just a Minute. Not only repeated Matt Crossley - even contrived to repeat the whole damn lot.

• Wot ? no John Delaney ?!?

• I stayed away from our Isthmian days to not extend the debate, but i agree mostly with your choices @micra .

• Take matey's point on Rogers, but have to agree well down the pecking order. We've been absolutely blessed at centre back in our league days, and before.

Crossley and Evans was a powerhouse combo wasn't it. Although i'll always remember one end of season video where the guy said something about how impossible to break down they were, but then said they were "Not so clever on the floor" as if to ruin his own previous point

• He rates Rogers higher than Johnson!!!!

LOL

• @Malone said:
    micra, appreciate your cheery optimistic approach, but do you really think Wycombe's medical set up is actually the best out of any?! I'd say we're second to tonnes of set ups! Even at this level.

Kashket will be an interesting one. He was obviously fit enough with this condition to get through a decent medical (you'd hope), so this actual injury must be on top of the condition that needs managing. Therefore, as he played so many in a row before, once over this injury, hopefully he can do the same again.
    Simplistic, but logic? Either way, absolutely no point rushing him over these 8 games, if there's any risk he's not properly back.

I am fairly sure that Kashket aggravated the chronic pelvic condition and that is the only "injury ". As he had barely played any football when the medical was carried out, it would probably not have been detectable. I wish I could be more cheerily optimistic but there is no way he will be rushed back.

On the medical aspect, we have one of the best physios in the business; GA sacrificed one playing squad place to get him. The club also has access to some of the best and most effective sources of medical equipment and expertise and has a superb track record in caring for its players. "Second to none" does not have to be interpreted literally as you have chosen to.

• edited March 2017

We have an extra medical member yes, but on what grounds could you possibly suggest they are one of the "Best physios in the business"?

So when you say "second to none", you actually mean "quite a decent set up for our level".

• Peter Suddaby !!

• Luke Oliver, Dave Winfield ,Michaela Duberry lists go both ways. My point was about adapting to the game here
    Doherty was shot by the time we got him and McCracken if I don't have anything good to say ..
    Roger Johnson I thought was going to be England captain one day before the demons so for our best I'm going for Big Tel Jamie Macca with AP closing fast.oh
    No Terry Howard.

• Mark Foran?
    Naah maybe not

• Doherty was superb for us, just a shame his injury deprived us more of his cultured displays. His reading of the game was probably matched by Macca and steven Taylor in a blues shirt.

• Cant believe weve all forgotten Alfie Mawson !!

• I thought as he was on loan you couldn't include him

• Doherty superb? I'll give you a list of players that were really superb in no particular order.........

• Mawson matches anyone for goal threat and ball playing capabilities.

Bates and McCarthy surely the best combo, beats Evans and Crossley, and even Mawson and Pierre on time together, and doing it at the highest level of the 3 combos.

Steven Taylor was class, but here so little time, in a mad Tony Adams period. I remember him playing a back 4 of teenagers once. That and trying to sign Simpemba for £12.5k a year, an offer so paltry he decided to instead go and play non league and get a menial job as a better bet!

• edited March 2017

Agree Bates and McCarthy are the best pairing we have ever had. Complimented each other perfectly.

• Stuart Nethercott