Skip to content

Match Report - Blackpool

13»

Comments

• Actually Eric makes a very good point. It is a shame that you are so blinkered and self opinionated to understand it Dev.

• I wouldn't want Gaz to go at all, but i have to step in at the comment about how there's "no serious discussion about who would replace him"

There's 100s of out of work managers, some of them by sheer probability would have us doing better on the pitch. Naturally some would have us worse, that's how it works.

Throwing random names serves no purpose at our level. We don't know who we could afford, we don't know who'd be up for it.

I wonder if any manager would "get us" and our situation as well as Gaz though. I doubt it

• It takes years. Now is not the time to even contemplate a change. GA is absolutely right for the club and, despite my reservations about methods/style of football at times and our appalling disciplinary record, I think he has bought into the general ethos and traditions of the club pretty well. And of course there is that all-important relationship between him and our worthy chairman.

• @Malone I think your answer demonstrates my point.

You're saying 'If Gaz goes, we will find someone out there, not sure who, and there is a chance they might do better, even if it's just through having a bit of luck'.

There is no point sacking someone unless you have someone better in mind. Ever since Gaz joined, nobody better has been a realistic candidate.

• Have we ever sacked someone with the next manager lined up? That's the domain of the top clubs.

I dare say if we have a vacancy we'd be a fairly attractive proposition, and after all, there are only 92 jobs in the league!

• Wasn't Ainsworth already lined up and I would also be fairly certain the next Wycombe manager is already in the building.

• As Waddock was the one who was so keen on bringing him in, i'd hardly say he was lined up.
    Hayes may be a different situation. But first he has to get through to summer 2018 showing some sort of playing use!

• edited March 2017

I'm not advocating this in any way, shape or form... but I saw an extended interview with Russell Martin after their match at the weekend when he talks in detail and eloquently about players taking responsibility for Norwich's form, his role in working with Alex Neil ahead of his sacking, the need to have a proper clear-out in the summer with a new boss...

He seems like a very intelligent, decent, perceptive chap. He must be coming closer to the end of his playing career now - I hope he gets a chance at management somewhere. With experience playing in all the leagues and international football, he'll ticks a lot of boxes for a club somewhere.

• That's very interesting @aloysius.
    Don't know if you were at the "Evening with Sergio Torres" a couple of years ago (probably three!) but he was there as a close friend of Sergio and was one of the people that Alan Parry interviewed. I met him briefly several years before that with his wife and a small child. Very charming character and, who knows, he could well become a successful manager.

• Keith Ryan will be very upset to hear that not only did he not get the job after Torquay, but now you're touting someone who hasn't even stopped playing yet to replace Gaz.

• If and when Gareth finally leaves, I trust of his own volition, does it make an iota of difference whether the new manager is an ex-playing legend or someone who has to check the map where High Wycombe actually is?

• Is that the opening line of your application letter @DevC ?

• Can only be a matter of time before the offer comes in.

Bugger of a commute though.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Keith Ryan will be very upset to hear that not only did he not get the job after Torquay, but now you're touting someone who hasn't even stopped playing yet to replace Gaz.

Hadn't crossed my mind that Wycombe might be a beneficiary of any job applications he might make. Well, there might have been a faint flicker.
    Wasn't it Keith Scott who coveted the job (or at least appeared to)?

• You know you could be right @micra I might have got me Keefs mixed up.

• Easily done (not!). Chalk and cheese come to mind.

• My only defence, slim as it is, is that I've only been in the area since 2002, so one was long gone and the other was a coach when I first came through the hallowed gates of Gormania.

• I scan read the above, and i'll ignore that a 31 year old Russell Martin, still playing in the championship is considered "close" to the end of his career!

• "...must be coming closer to the end of his playing career..." was what @aloysius actually wrote, Malone The difference is subtle but significant. Russell has played over 30 matches for Norwich this season and has been quoted as saying he hopes to add many more. However, it's possible that the Russell Martin Academy which he set up to provide coaching to boys and girls at grass roots level may in due course occupy more of his time. (Sergio Torres is one of his coaches.) Interesting and admirable character but football management may be far from his thoughts for the time being.

• DevC you are a strange animal. Sometimes you tie yourself in knots and it makes you easy to be picked off. Don't take all comments to heart, especially when they are just put out there to hook you.

• @micra , now you mention it, saying "coming closer" to the end of a playing career is like saying we're "getting older" ever day. Sort of goes without saying doesn't it.

That's why i paraphrased the inference, rather than concentrating on the actual wording.