Skip to content

Match Report - Blackpool

Comments

• Same 6 for Bayo & Shouthwell? Make that a 7 & a 5 (at best).

• Part of the reason Southwell scored all those goals is presumably the lower standard of defending at the level at which he scored them.

He could yet turn out to be a star but I'm still to be convinced.

• He scored those goals as a striker. Early in season we were poor and created nothing for him. He got one chance, scored it and got injured.
    Why was he out wide today? He's a goal scorer, and I honestly believe he'd have done exactly what Kashket did if he was in that role on our unbeaten run....

• I give Blackman a 9 and still can't get it right

• @clifty04 said:
    I give Blackman a 9 and still can't get it right

Well you got that one right & a '7.5 improving' for the report!

• Thanks for the report, Adam. I do appreciate the time you took to write it. I just happen to disagree about Southwell. There's no such thing as 'getting it right', people will always have differences of opinion. Don't let it get you down!

• I would add a 5 for Ainsworth.

The 4-3-3 was not working. The subs he made were too late and when they came the players were shoe-horned into the same ineffective formation. As a result Weston and the Watford lad (sorry) were completely ineffective.

Poor all round. We will get gubbed on Tuesday playing like that

• I think Dayle was pushed out wide right to assist in marking Delfouneso who was making regular progress down that wing.

• Nice report.Delfouneso was their stand out player and gave us a lot of problems the rest of the Blackpool team were nothing exceptional.

• I've left it overnight to comment to give me time to reflect. Well I still can't think of much positive to say about our performance. Blackman aside, (the save a couple of minutes into the 2nd half looked an absolute worldie from my seat, akin to the Banks save v Pele in the 1970 Mexico world cup?), the rest was just turgid poo.
    I really admire what Ainsworth has done for this club since his arrival and am not using this moment to start a GA out campaign. What has he done to Luke Onien? When Luke 1st started with us, he would always be looking to pick a pass, always had a look around as the ball was arriving to see the options etc. Now he has been reduced to a hoof merchant as the 1st & last option. I fear that Gape will be Wycomised to perform the same & if so, what will be the point of having, (I assume), an expensive Sam Saunders, free kicks apart? Yesterday was the nearest thing I have seen to a Graham Westley Stevenage of years gone by, the ball spent more than half the game high in the air! It really was an ugly spectacle. I was struggling to enthuse my 12 year old son to attend the game around midday yesterday, the reasons he gave me were that we are not very exciting and rarely look like we are going to score. I think he attended only on the grounds that the alternative was even worse, shopping with his mum & sister! We can play good football, I have witnessed it this season on various occasions, we have some very good ball players including Bayo, who surprised me with his footwork in tight spaces. IMHO we need to start using these alternatives during most games, we can surely mix it up, as this is getting very hard to justify to my son and lately I'm struggling. I have been offered a chance to work on Tuesday night, which for the 1st time I am going to take instead of going to the match as I can only see a war of attrition taking place and just don't see us having much chance of being entertained in a football way. I really hope I am proved wrong, and we come out of this with 3 points. I'll be listening in on Chairboys player from sunny Knutsford, in hope rather than expectation.

• Excellent post Ewan. I really hope that, if he plays on Tuesday evening, Dayle Southwell will play more centrally to enable him to get into goal scoring positions. I didn't notice that he was marking Delfouneso - in the first half Del Boy was rampaging down the left (Woodland) side and Dayle was over the far side mostly beyond my field of vision.
    We seemed pretty chaotic in midfield with O'Nien and Beano tearing about like the proverbials and Woody having "one of his quieter games" and looking somewhat knackered towards the end nonetheless.

Where is Nick Freeman? Answers on a postcard.

• A lot of Blackpool fans think it crossed the line which is impossible to tell from the camera angle but hats off to Blacks who and you know that this is a REAL bugbear of mine has been getting unjustified abuse on the Facebook page has really pulled his performances round .

• edited March 2017

• Yesterday was dreadful. The ball spent most of the time in the air totally by passing the midfield. Tuesday will be tough and I don't really expect us to get anything playing like that.

We probably need at least 21 points to guarantee a play off spot which on yesterday's performance will be a real struggle. It's frustrating as we can play some decent football.

@EwanHoosaami not surprised your boy doesn't fancy going at the moment it's very uninspiring stuff.

• @clifty04 your recent over the top abuse of Blackman has left you a long uphill journey to get back any credibility in my book. Your Twitter abuse was awful and now you have the cheek to even mention that you've acknowledged him playing well.

• @EwanHoosaami you've captured my thoughts entirely about Luke O'Nien. Last season after almost every match we were purring about his performance, his self-assured one-touch play that almost always got the ball to another player; his well-timed runs into the box; his potency when shooting; his passion and creativity. And I don't believe he's lost any of that this season. Certainly his enthusiasm doesn't seem to have been dented. Yet match after match he puts in a decent shift as a holding midfielder and that's about it.

There's none of the excitement any more - a season of following instructions to break up past and then boot it up to Akinfenwa has turned Luke into a very good League Two player rather than an exceptional young talent who one could easily see playing Championship football.

I want the old Luke O'Nien back. I want him allowed to play the game as he can, not constricted into the game that offers the lowest risk.

• @aloysius constant theatricals is getting a bit tedious now too.

• @DevC said:

You saw it here first; @DevC lost for words.

• Luke goes to ground too easily (he even winked and laughter to JJ late in the game in front of the Family Stand when he played for a foul on the half way line), P C-H suffers from the same affliction. They have been taught these tactics and it is dull dull dull.
    Management need to realise they are in the entertainment industry and can't play on fans loyalty for ever, we can take our money elsewhere. Apart from the move that led to P C-H's shot in the first half and the 'excitement' caused by the 'penalty' (hand ball by their big sub?) and save, there was zero to get passionate about. Woke up this morning with a stiff neck from looking up into the sky for the ball for 80+ minutes.
    Let's surprise that Scots t*#t on Tuesday with plan B football on the ground led by playmaker Sam Saunders, yes I will be there, more fool me!

• Not sure if I understand what is being suggested here. Most players and certainly every team plays the rules to the edge. Cheap free kicks, rolling the ball back slowly, chatting to the ref and claiming throw ins are part of the game. Is the suggestion that we Buck the trend and play honestly?

I do agree about Luke O'Nien though. What a waste of talent in his current role. I'd put Southwell, Cowan-Hall and Wood in that category too. Yesterday we cancelled out Blackpool but didn't want to roll the dice for the win. A change in formation could have won it but might have lost it too. We're a middle of the table side who could make the play offs with some luck. We have to make that luck happen though and I'm not sure the management has the courage.

• I hate our tactics that are like Stevenage under Westley. Anyone who defends it needs a serious look at themselves, no wonder we have a reputation as a team of cheats that doesn't do us any favours with refs who will deservedly punish us for taking the p**s.

• edited March 2017

@robin I'm not giving up on this season yet, it's already been demonstrated how quickly our fortunes can change when a player comes into form. But if we do finish mid-table again I would hope we'll get a proper post-mortem on this season from GA and an indication that he'll do something different next year to prevent another post-Xmas slump.

• I fully agree mate.

• @robin said:
    I hate our tactics that are like Stevenage under Westley. Anyone who defends it needs a serious look at themselves, no wonder we have a reputation as a team of cheats that doesn't do us any favours with refs who will deservedly punish us for taking the p**s.

I actually thought Blackpool spent more time rolling about and 'game managing' than we did. Dreadful match though.

• edited March 2017

@clifty04 , we watch the same team but we have some incredibly different opinions.

You honestly think Southwell would be sitting on 15 goals or so if he'd played instead of Kashket?
    I think that's an incredible judgement to make. But then if you truly believe Southwell had "one chance" for his one goal then i'm not surprised you've leapt to it.

• Kashket is a natural finisher with pace, Southwell unfortunately has neither, albeit a very hard worker.

• I'm not at all certain who was in charge of the game - the hopelessly inadequate ref. Mr Sarginson, or little gobshite Jack Payne.

@Malone & @mooneyman I'd have to agree with you both. Bonkers suggestion that, if Southwell had played instead of Kashket, he'd have scored anywhere near as many goals. SK has very good close ball control and has a knack of taking his chances. I haven't seen anything, yet, from DS to suggest that he has the same ability as a goal scorer. Sorry @clifty04 .

• I quite like a player that is willing to work his arse off for 90+ minutes. People here seem to use "well he's a hard worker" as some kind of veiled insult. I wonder what our own Henning Wehn would make of it.

• @Morris_Ital , it's professional football. Being a "hard worker" should come with the territory. You should have a bit more about you to make it to the pro ranks beyond that.

• No, goddamit, we're British - football should be about hard work and PASSION. Fancy skills are for swarthy foreign sorts.