Skip to content

Match Report - Blackpool

Comments

• As far as I can see he is a young lad trying to cut it in his first stab at professional football.

He appears to have the right attitude towards his future profession.

Whether he has sufficient skills to make it at this level, only time will tell. Far better chance if he is encouraged rather than criticised while he learns.

• If he can't handle criticism Dev, he isn't going to get very far in the professional game. He is purportedly a striker and the best way to stop such criticism is to put the ball in the net! Also I am not sure that he can be classed as a "young lad" at 23, what does that make Scott Kashket who is only just 21?

The problem he has, as with all inexperienced players we sign, is the fact that we have no reserve team where he can gain confidence by playing regularly.

• I thought it was a pretty even game which explained why both teams are where they are. Given that, Blackpool were probably slightly better in attack, caused us more problems and to be fair should and would have won had it not been for the two saves from that excellent League Two stopper Brown that we recalled from loan just in time (I'll check this later). I, like others, am very concerned that we are going to have a very torrid night on Tuesday...but I WILL be there as I took a day off and the club already have my money! Also if we do get something from the game I want to watch Derek Adams explode! At a couple of points on Saturday football broke out...a series of passes to feet cut Blackpool open and fashioned a shooting chance. I may be mad, but I want to see a bit more of that...as well as substitutions of players who are obviously struggling...Bayo clutched his calf a number of times during the second half and though he signalled he was okay...I think GA needs to make that decision. I would have put Southwell in the middle and brought Weston on myself. Then again....I am not a football manager.

• This thread seems to have taken a really dark turn. For me Dayle Southwell looks like a decent player but currently a square peg in a round hole. It's the managers fault in my eyes and having looked at the types of goals he scored at Boston he doesn't stand a chance of getting that kind of service for us.

If people want to say he was playing at a lower level just look at the number of balls from midfield he runs on to and ask if we have the set up to do that. Comparing him to Kashket is unfair too. They are different types of players all together.

It's really sad that if a player isn't an immediate hit he gets critised and if he's not brilliant he's immediately a waste of space. I thought he did ok on Saturday without ever getting a ball to feet or to run on to.

• Quite right - seem to remember Steve Brown getting a fair amount of stick when he first joined us. He didn't turn out too bad, did he.

• I was thinking all last week that Southwell's return had garnered an unusual amount of hype, considering he didn't set the world alight at Lincoln. People got too excited for some reason, and are now bitterly disappointed.

It would be better if everyone could temper their expectations, and subsequently their criticisms too. However, it seems very fashionable to only have only black and white opinions on football. Last week Southwell was the next Kashket, this week apparently he's dogshit.

• agree @bill_stickers I thought Southwell was a striker...not a wing forward. I thought when I saw the lineup we would be playing 4 - 4 - 2...with woody and PCH as wingers...but as usual once the game started I had no idea who was supposed to be doing what! JJ's defending was excellent, while his set-piece deliveries were appalling...harriman spending a lot of time chasing back rather than actually attacking. We had a lot of good players out there just not doing that well...

• Having read nothing I assume @bigred87 and @Wwfc2015_ gave the Blackpool game a miss so they could get themselves ready for a joy filled post-Plymouth s***storm. #cyberbullieshatemyoptions

• There's not actually any over the top criticism of Southwell on this thread is there?

• Let's stop beating about the bush, Ainsworth's style of football is terrible. He is a nice guy but as long as he, Dobbo and the Geordie 'man in tights' are in charge, then we will not play entertaining football.
    I will, as usual continue to support WWFC as a season ticket holder but the style of play is rubbish.
    We certain have the players to play exciting football but they are not allowed to express themselves.

• @Wendoverman just for interest I was talking to a Doncaster supporting fan who was very impressed by the real 'excellent League Two stopper Brown' on Saturday who apparently made "several really good saves" (BBC stats show 11 shots on target so he certainly saved some!). I am reasonably comfortable he'll 'do a job' if he does ever come back to us next season (not that I am in any way having a go at Blackman!!)

• I'd be happy to see Brown in goal next season, as I'm sure would Ainsworth seeing as he signed him to play this season. You won't get the opportunity to loan a player like Blackman very often.

• @bookertease @Chris I was not meaning to knock Mr Brown at all...and I'm sure he'll do a good job for us when he's back...just a little jest in the wake of the weekend's events for those who have been moaning and criticising Mr Blackman...and demanding the proven League Two stopper's return!

• Out of interest do you think it is likely that Brown will be back next season or more likely he will move to Cheltenham on a free transfer in the summer.

If brown leaves and Smithies doesn't leave QPR, possibility that Ingram may be back at WWFC next season at least on loan?

• We've been a bit of a striker's graveyard for years in fairness, and Southwell certainly hasn't been helped by our "style" of football.
    It makes it all the more remarkable that the Beast and Kashket have both hit as many as 15 or so!

Just like a few of us have hyped up Hayes comments on Muller, i do remember the Beast saying how Southwell "would" be our top scorer.
    Although how much of that was an attempt to boost his esteem, and how much was based on his training displays/record last year I don't know

• I think Brown will be here. But who knows.

• Time will tell, I guess. My guess for what its worth is that he will not be.

• @Wendoverman yes, I did realise it was in jest - and quite funny.

• @bookertease ay thank yew @Chris I also heard a rumour on Saturday that Ingram might return on loan...but as you say who knows.

• FWIW Blackman's in the EFL Team of the Week for his performance last weekend.

• @Blue_since_1990 has hit the nail on the head with the best post in recent Gasroom history.

We play turgid football that isn't entertaining, and as long as Gaz is the boss - nice guy though he most certainly is - we won't play exciting football.

The time we did, on that promotion push, we were blessed with a raft of players who wanted to get the ball down - Scowen, Murphy, Mawson, Hayes on form.

However, the man has managed to produce an incredible turn of occasional results, as a man he's a credit to the club, and who would we get instead? At this level, with these players, we're never going to blow teams away with swash-buckling play.

So let's not moan about the style of play every time, ey? It's staying for a while.

• It's hard to quantify of course, but Gaz's work on the non football side of things would be hard to replace too. The taking youngsters under his wing, the dealing with the minute of the budget beyond a manager's normal remit. That kind of thing.

I can imagine the yoof gang sneering at such a suggestion

• To be fair Malone, there are quite a number of managers in the lower leagues who have to handle just the same issues.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Excellent post.

Every time the Ainsworth out brigade raise their head, there is NEVER any serious discussion around who would replace him.

He is a good manager at this level and cares deeply about doing well by the club.

• What an excellent post, Fame.

Part of me would like to see Gareth get an opportunity elsewhere this summer with a chance to display his talent with a vaguely competitive budget. He deserves so much more support and respect than he gets from too many of our support base. If he does leave in the summer, who would stake serious money on avoiding a relegation scrap next season.

• Who exactly is saying they want him to go?

That last post says it all. You clearly think we will be in danger of relegation if he goes, and yet you admit part of you wants him to leave.

Ergo, part of you wants us to be in danger of relegation.

Woeful as usual from you

• Do stop trying to make cheap debating points, Eric.

• You just make it so easy

• yawn